BMW K1600 Forum banner

Dunlop RoadSmart II

45K views 136 replies 53 participants last post by  Rick92040 
#1 ·
Has anyone found any available yet? I keep seeing the ads featuring the K16 but can't seem to locate one. I am about 1000 miles out from swapping tires and wanted to give these a try.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

#36 ·
It says they won't be available until the end of 2012. I have had great success with Metzelers in the past but due to some issues posted on here I will wait till the new tires are out and reviewed before trying them. In the meantime I will be ordering the Dunlops next week.

#37 ·
I'm running the PR3s after going through two sets of Z8s in 8500 miles. After 2000 miles on the pr3s I have found them to be good in most settings but less then inspiring at high speeds (100+mph). While they are more then adequet for my daily use the bike feels squirly at high speeds when in the wind sail of trucks. Most users of the pr3s love em, but I in truth only like them, so if metzler has improved the z8 I'll be first in line as that tire was fantastic in all ways except for wear. Just my .02 for what it's worth

#38 ·
I'm running a PR3 in the front with 9000 miles and a Metzler in the back with 3500. I'm putting Dunlops on on Friday. The mismatched tires worked fine until the PR3 in the front started to cup real bad about 1000 miles ago. She's real squirmy behind trucks right now, I've adjusted but it ain't right. Time for the PR3 to go and I'll replace the Metzler because it's probably only got 1000 left in it anyway.

#43 ·
I posted on another thread that I run a combo, opposite to yours. Z8 front, PR3 rear. I've not done any significant distance on autobahns/snelwegen/motorways yet, but will over the next couple of days. So far the grip and handling has been great. I like to lean some even in the wet and on this combination I can, with confidence. On my previous Bridgestones I had to lean less to avoid sliding, and accelerate softer to avoid the traction warning flashing on. To be fair to those that ride within their Bridgestone limits, they allude to having no issues with these tyres.

#41 ·
Re:
Max temp in testing was only 35 deg C? That's just a starting temp during the summer in these parts.
The Metzeler News Release claims that the tyres are
able to provide an excellent chemical grip on wet with the widest possible range of operating temperatures, going from 4° to over 35°.
my emphasis.

The dry test reported was in mild winter conditions (in my experience usually a sterner test environment for outright road tyre grip than hot weather) as follows
The test was carried out during the months of January and February 2012 in dry climatic conditions and with slightly cloudy weather and air temperature of 9°±1° and asphalt of 12°±2°.
I'll admit that as a UK resident I am more interested in cool weather performance as we have a temperate climate rather than a continental climate. Variable weather for sure, but usually no real extremes. I have ridden in Spain and the South of France at 39C for days and found that no fun at all. That was because I don't do hot, even when living for three years in the A/C world that is Northern VA - but in Aragon and France the PR3 tyres then on an RT1200 were far happier than me.

The News release also talks about the wet testing regime, but no air or road temperatures are given.

Whatever anyone makes of all of this, at least we know what the design aim was and the tested dry temperatures. Time will tell how good the new formulation is ....

#42 ·
Thanks for confirming my information regarding an upgrade to the Z8 by metzeler. I'm not sure how confident I am of the test results as related to the K1600gt/gtl. The test conducted by the, "prestigious", Motorrad TestCenter consisted of a Honda CBR600F ABS and a Suzuki Bandit 1250 ABS.
I'll be interested to get feedback from K1600GT/GTL owners who ride these tires. I have always favored Metzelers and I was quite disappointed in the performance of the OEM z8"s. I hope they get it together but, for now, I'm lovin' the Roadsmart II's.

#45 ·
just got the roadsmart IIs installed yesterday. i really didnt even get a chance to test them at all since it was a 2.5 hour ride home in stop and go traffic most of the way.

what i did notice:

1) it rolls through turns so much nicer...although my old tires had some bad flat spots so it might just be the change to nice curved surface.

2) the bike doesnt seem to have a left pull anymore. ill have to test this more at different speeds.

3) tires seem to be just as quiet as the stones for me

so far so good.

#47 ·
My stock Bridgestones are done at 5000 miles. Thought I might be able to make them last until the next service but they are down to wear bars and don't feel confident anymore. Will be ordering the dunlops tomorrow.

#49 ·
Well that's good enough for me. I am on my second set of Roadsmarts with my GSA and they are the best yet, although I only managed 5k miles on the rear and 6k on the front.

My GT is in dire need of new rubber and I shall be ordering a pair next week.

Thank you for posting this information! :)

#50 ·
I've clocked a bit over 3500miles on my Roadsmart II's. Most of my riding has been "one up" until this past weekend. My wife and I road from Middletown, CT to Lehighton, PA. Round trip about 600 miles. Temperatures reached into the 90⁰ range. We travelled a combination of interstate highway and great Pennsylvania back roads. These Dunlops are truely amazing. The Beemer is glued to the road, transitions, as would a sport bike and there are no signs of any kind of wabble or weave, even through the milled sections where paving is being redone. There are no signs of cupping (although the Z8's didn't begin to cup, in the front, until about 4500 miles). I'll have to wait until autumn to find out how the RS2's perform on cold asphalt. So far, I'm am extremely happy with this latest Dunlop product. I'll keep you posted. Only problem I have found with these tires is that they are still not readily available. I hope Dunlop reads this forum.

#55 ·
I'm not seeing the Roadsmart II offered in the 190/55 size for the rear tire? Where are people buying this tire?
If it's an option for you, buy 'em from your BMW dealer and have them mount 'em up. I recently had a road hazard claim on mine and the dealer support for recovering my expenses was well worth the few extra bucks I paid to have them do it and the partnership I'm forming with them.

#56 ·
I bought mine through the dealer network for Parts Unlimited, i.e. Drag Specialties. Also Tucker Rocky has them. Both of these companies are wholesalers who work through motorcycle dealerships. My BMW dealer(Max BMW) is a dealer for, both, Tucker Rocky & Parts Unlimited.The front tire size (120/70-17ZR) is readily avaiable. The rear tire (190/55-ZR17) is where you'll have difficuly locating. If you buy through your BMW dealer you'll, generally, get a better deal because of the cost associated with mounting the tires.

#58 ·
Has anyone experienced any handling issues yet? I had a set mounted in Duluth last week while at CCR. My initial rides around Duluth and down to Chicago two up were fine and I thought that the tires felt stable.

When I left Chicago I dodged storms from what was left of Isaac in IL and through MO. On grooved pavement the tires feel fine, however when around other traffic, especially high profile trucks, trailers busses etc. I can't hold a line as the bike becomes very unstable. I'm very familiar with turbulence, interrupted cross wind, buffeting etc... This is not that, it is an unsettling of the bike that makes riding a challenge.

Yesterday I rode from Pryor, OK home. I went down the Indian Nation Turnpike which offers some room and a 75 mph speed limit. The unsettling doesn’t seem to be a speed problem alone, but gets worse fast around traffic. At one point I accelerated hard to get around a fast running logging truck and it was more than I wanted to deal with. Temps were high 100+ and I'm running 42-42 in the tires. To me the problem worsens with higher temps.

Any thoughts?

#64 ·
Has anyone experienced any handling issues yet? I had a set mounted in Duluth last week while at CCR. My initial rides around Duluth and down to Chicago two up were fine and I thought that the tires felt stable.

When I left Chicago I dodged storms from what was left of Isaac in IL and through MO. On grooved pavement the tires feel fine, however when around other traffic, especially high profile trucks, trailers busses etc. I can't hold a line as the bike becomes very unstable. I'm very familiar with turbulence, interrupted cross wind, buffeting etc... This is not that, it is an unsettling of the bike that makes riding a challenge.
Hi
Also just got home from CCR and some handling issues. My PR3's are at about the 6K mark and are wearing well. No need to replace yet. As the weather deteriorated on the way from Michigan to Florida I started hitting the Interstates where I felt more comfortable. I had some real instability issues in the dirty air around traffic. After thinking about it for awhile I "think" the issues I was having can be attributed to the outer reaches of Isaac and the ccw winds. The winds were swirling and was worse in the traffic. Even small pickups had an effect on me. This is not normal for my GT. As I got closer to Florida and out of the rain the handling seemed to improve. Maybe I am all wet on this but this is the best explanation I can up with. BTW, I am running the stock GT windscreen.

Paky

#60 ·
I can try this. The sidewall says 42 max psi and that's where I usually run for loaded and high temps to keep the carcass heat down. The dealer also said 42 psi. I am not sure if the lower air pressure up front will work but will drop it down and try it. It will probably be a few days I'm getting caught up with work but will post after I check it out.

Also I noticed that the front is made in France and the rear in Japan. Both Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart II tires.

Thanks for the feedback.

#61 ·
Made the switch last week from P3. I only have 200 miles so far so not enough time to really make a call, but I did notice two things. My bike does NOT have a left hand pull as it did with the stock tires (not a major pull, but could not ride with my hands off the bars.) Bike seems more stable at high speeds vs the P3 (I think it has to do with SoCal concrete hwy and the rain grooves.)

#62 ·
I've put about 2K on them since install on Friday. Mostly riding home from Duluth. I did run down a few roads on the way home with enough twists to say I think the tires feel planted in that regard. That said, I'd lost some confidence in them due to the high speed and turbulence issue and didn't push them to see how they'd hold.

#65 ·
Dan, I had fresh Dunlop’s mounted in Duluth. Windscreen, CalSci XL. Had not noticed this before and by the time I was in OK and TX was out of any remains of Isaac causing swirling winds. While most noticed around large profile vehicles even smaller SUV's were noticeable.

#67 ·
Well I finally had to bite the bullet and choose, the fact BMW don't recommend the Michelin I could live with but when Michelin themselves withdraw it from their European listing I have to wonder why? Metzler seems very popular in the pole that was run here but I don't fancy steel showing before the wear indicators are out! So I have ordered a pair of Dunlop RoadSmart IIs… Discussion has been very useful here so keep it coming and I let people know how I get on here in the UK! Peter

#68 ·
I had a pair of Roadsmart 2s fitted before a trip around the Scottish Highlands as the Z8s would probably not last the journey.

The 60 mile run home from the dealers left me underwhelmed as the tyres felt a bit remote. The weather on the way north was foul, and most days were wet at some point. So I was surprised to find that the Roadsmart 2's now stuck like glue to the road, wet, damp or dry.

I even found my boots kissing the ground on damp bends totally without drama - that touchdown had only happened on the original Z8s** in the dry. With 1800 miles done it is a bit early to know how they will last both in mileage and performance terms, but it is certainly a case of so far, so good.

** the new formulation Z8s were not available when I needed them, but are claimed to be better in the wet than before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.