BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In all the years I've ridden, I've never listened to music through the helmet. The few times I briefly tried I found it distracting and stopped. Now that we have a really good comm system with JBL speakers, my wife wanted me to set music sharing up. Over the past few weeks I've grown to like it. At the same time I've realized I've pumped up the total noise level coming into my ears. I did some research on ear plugs and deciding to try the following product:

https://www.earpeace.com/products/motorcycle-ear-plugs?variant=40836254468

They pretty much work as advertised. They eliminate much of the wind and engine noise but still allow you to hear the music with very little change. I found that I only had to bump up the volume a little to hear the music like I didn't have them on.

The problem is that they almost work too well. I like hearing the K1600 motor rev up. I like the sound of moderate wind around me. To me that's part of the motorcycle experience and these plugs eliminate much of it. It's not a complaint of how they function, but I didn't realize the impact they'd have on my riding. I'm going to have to experiment with them more and figure out when and when not to wear them.

·
Registered
946 Posts
For me, Bose QC-20 ear buds are the best thing out there. I can ride 6 hours straight at 85mph like last weekend and I was in peace & quiet the entire time. No fatigue or drone whatsoever. No popping, just bliss.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Yep, tried those & several others (eargasms, vibes, decibullz, etc.). Always thought my BMW communication with a Schuberth C3Pro was ideal for the K1600 unless, I was on the highway. Over the past year all my K1600 friends were getting Sena 30K’s. They could communicate with each other while they were riding. Still was not sold since, their Sensaphonics were about $800 not to mention the $75 audiology molding fee. Then, a ridding buddy turned me on to Plug Up (https://www.plugup.com/custom_made_earplug_speakers_stereo_earbudss_s/73.htm ). Got their custom stereo ear plugs & a Sena 30K…..OMG!!!!! The ear protection & sound are amazing. Now, have to be real careful not to overpress my rides. Cannot even hear my 100 dB KTM SDGT at 7K rpm. My regular riding group all have Sena 30k’s. The only down side is you cannot control the volume of the sound with the BMW Wonderwheel. Volume is controled by the Sena wheel which is very easy to access/ adjust. But, everything else is seamless. Turn on your Sena 30K first and everything else connects automatically. Yes, you can block/ mute out your friends if do not wish to here there banterings. And, Plug Up sends you a kit for the custom ear peice fittings. Best,

Doc :grin::grin:

·
Registered
550 Posts
For me, Bose QC-20 ear buds are the best thing out there. I can ride 6 hours straight at 85mph like last weekend and I was in peace & quiet the entire time. No fatigue or drone whatsoever. No popping, just bliss.
Do you find that you can wear the QC-20 ear buds fit inside your helmet without discomfort after several hours? That's why I am hesitating about a purchase. It looks like they would press against the helmet padding.

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
While the ear plugs do take awhile to get used to, once your used to them you won't ride without them. On the longer trips they reduce the fatigue quite a bit.
The hardiest part for me was taking off without hearing the engine very well but that soon passed.

Just keep wearing them.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
While the ear plugs do take awhile to get used to, once your used to them you won't ride without them. On the longer trips they reduce the fatigue quite a bit.
The hardiest part for me was taking off without hearing the engine very well but that soon passed.

Just keep wearing them.
Yea, it does take some getting used to. Years ago when I was commuting 85 miles each way to work, I wore Hearos plugs every day. Definitely low tech, but my only goal was to eliminate the 6-lanes of freeway traffic noise around me. They did the trick. My riding has been more causal over the past few years, so getting back into plugs is strange. I agree there is a definite advantage to wearing them when the goal is to chew up long mile days. I'm not sure I'm ready to give up the other external sounds for shorter outings.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
FWIW, I only ride solo, so I’ve never had the need to communicate with other riders/passenger. At one point, I was using the BMW com sys for music and directions. Then when I moved to an X-14, I was hesitant to install helmet speakers, as the BMW wasn’t very good sound wise, and sometimes connection wise. So, at first I used the wired Shure buds I normally travel with, directly connected to my iPhone X. But, I was worried about longevity of the setup, as it required a dongle. So, I started experimenting...and I ended up buying Sennheiser momentums, Bluetooth connected to my iPhone. At first, it was pretty hard to put on the helmet without messing up the momentums in my ears. But, after a few tries, it worked. If I want directions or music, I use the momentums.

If I just want quiet, I use Flare audio isolate pro titanium buds. They are absolutely amazing. You can still hear traffic noises, bike engine revving, etc., while blocking out wind noise. I’ve ridden with them on 5 hr round trips (with a break half way), and have had no fit, or discomfort issues.

I think I saw the Flare recommended in a post here a few years ago. So, whomever posted the recommendation, thank you!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the EarPiece plugs and love them!
They definitely do the job. It's cool that they come with 3 levels of optional noise protection -- acoustic filters (SNR 17, 20 and 26). The SNR 20 is installed in the plugs as the default. I'm curious how much difference SNR 17 & 26 are.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
They definitely do the job. It's cool that they come with 3 levels of optional noise protection -- acoustic filters (SNR 17, 20 and 26). The SNR 20 is installed in the plugs as the default. I'm curious how much difference SNR 17 & 26 are.
I've only tried the 20db as well, but they've worked great for me. May try the others to see the difference.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Do you find that you can wear the QC-20 ear buds fit inside your helmet without discomfort after several hours? That's why I am hesitating about a purchase. It looks like they would press against the helmet padding.
Yes, I can wear them all day, 600+ miles without any discomfort. They do not press at all. But, I have a modular helmet and that makes putting the helmet on/off much easier. Without a modular, I might not like the Bose quite as much, not sure. But then again, I would never buy a non-modular helmet so I like how they work together. The cool thing about the Bose is they have a 30-day (or is it 90?) money-back guarantee for ANY reason, so you have nothing to lose.

·
Premium Member
5,695 Posts
I sat through Big Ears seminar at the MOA this year and ended up purchasing his form fitted ear plugs with a 25db drop filter. I've only worn them around town at 1 hour intervals or so but they seem to work just fine. I only have to raise the volume up 1/2 of a bar to get the sound where I like it (I have in helmet speakers) and yet the wind and surrounding noises are significantly reduced. In their instructions they recommend coating them with Neosporin to help with any irritation that may arise when wearing them for long periods of time.

The ear plugs also have a second noise canal that has a valve that cuts off anything above 85db. You can open that if they are too quiet and yet still have protection above 85db. Right now I have it plugged off.

I'm 69 and wear hearing aids (not with my helmet on) and I wish I would have done some kind of protection years ago although both parents and grand parents were hard of hearing so it may be more hereditary than anything.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes, I can wear them all day, 600+ miles without any discomfort. They do not press at all. But, I have a modular helmet and that makes putting the helmet on/off much easier. Without a modular, I might not like the Bose quite as much, not sure. But then again, I would never buy a non-modular helmet so I like how they work together. The cool thing about the Bose is they have a 30-day (or is it 90?) money-back guarantee for ANY reason, so you have nothing to lose.
I wear mine too, all day, except I have a non-modular helmet (GT Air 2). Not hard for me to get the helmet on with the headphones in. Like atc250r, I've found them a fantastic addition to my riding.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts

Do you ride with your visor closed?

Once I noticed the popping I just couldn't NOT hear it.
I like to ride with my visor up.

They also irritated my ears after 3 hours I also have a modular.

To those on the fence with the money back guarantee I would give them a go because if they dont pop or cause you irritation these are excellent and te ebay price makes them a no brainier.

Really wish they had worked for me as they isolated the wind noise extremely well.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Do you ride with your visor closed?

Once I noticed the popping I just couldn't NOT hear it.
I like to ride with my visor up.

They also irritated my ears after 3 hours I also have a modular.

To those on the fence with the money back guarantee I would give them a go because if they dont pop or cause you irritation these are excellent and te ebay price makes them a no brainier.

Really wish they had worked for me as they isolated the wind noise extremely well.
In town I ride with the visor up, but over 45mph I keep my visor down. After I put on a 7Jurock windshield and some masking tape over the ear bud sensor ports, it eliminated the turbulence, and as such, eliminatinated the popping. I really get next to no pops at all, even with cruise set at 85.

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
I know that these mask the noise, but I wonder if, even though you are not hearing the sound, if it is still penetrating your ears. Not sure if I'm asking the correct question, but it is the noise that causes fatigue and over a long period of time, tinnitus in many people.

Can the noise you are not hearing, cause damage? Is masking really blocking?

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have those Eargasams too. Works perfect so far. They do recommend soaking them in dish soap once a month to eliminate bacteria. They block the wind and trucks noise but yet I can listen to the bike's speaker when wind screen is up enough.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts