BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today, out of curiosity, I tried a slightly different method of placing the bike on the center stand. It turns out it was the least effort I've ever put into a large bike. My usual method has been to put a little weight on the center stand arm and lift/pull with both hands on the handlebar and handle (ST1300) or passenger grab handle (K1600GTL) or other solid bike part.

Today, I just stood on the center stand arm (obviously still holding the handlebar and grab handle) and the bike went up with no pulling. Wow, what a difference! I am 220 lbs (net) so lighter riders will have progressively diminishing success with this method.

So if you haven't tried this before give it a try. Obviously plant both center stand legs on the ground before standing on the arm.

And if you don't succeed, what's the worst that could happen?

The bike won't go up...

And it might topple over...

And fall on you...

And break both legs...

And IF that happens, don't come running to me!!!

Cheers,

Derek

·
Registered
15 Posts
That is the way I have always done it. Full weight on the arm of the center stand, and pull up on the grab bar as needed. A bigger guy or lighter bike needs less grab bar. Years back I had a small Honda street bike. I could pop it up on the stand without using my hands at all.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is the way I have always done it. Full weight on the arm of the center stand, and pull up on the grab bar as needed. A bigger guy or lighter bike needs less grab bar. Years back I had a small Honda street bike. I could pop it up on the stand without using my hands at all.
But the main point was that NO pull on the grab bar was needed at all - both arms were relaxed. That was what surprised me.

Cheers,

Derek

Reactions: bill069

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
I just took delivery of my bike Friday night and the salesperson showed me about 6 times how to do it and I did do it myself a few times while he was coaching me. I did 650 miles over the weekend and every time I stopped I tried it and almost killed myself in the attempts. I did manage to do it when I filled up a few times (thankfully) but couldn't do it most of the time. I weigh 220 also and was standing on the arm it didn't seem to matter. Took the bike in Tuesday for first service and the salesperson again came out and did it (he weighs around 150 soaking wet..) and keeps telling me its not about strength but technick which he promises I will get if I keep trying. We will see but Im not giving up! I did almost dump it on off side a couple of times so hope I get this secret technical secret soon..

·
Outta This World
1,743 Posts
I just took delivery of my bike Friday night and the salesperson showed me about 6 times how to do it and I did do it myself a few times while he was coaching me. I did 650 miles over the weekend and every time I stopped I tried it and almost killed myself in the attempts. I did manage to do it when I filled up a few times (thankfully) but couldn't do it most of the time. I weigh 220 also and was standing on the arm it didn't seem to matter. Took the bike in Tuesday for first service and the salesperson again came out and did it (he weighs around 150 soaking wet..) and keeps telling me its not about strength but technick which he promises I will get if I keep trying. We will see but Im not giving up! I did almost dump it on off side a couple of times so hope I get this secret technical secret soon..
If you are almost dumping it on its side you need to make sure you have both feet of the center stand down first before applying weight. If both arms are not down, the bike could rock and that's when it feels like it might fall over. That is the part I see throwing most people. If the bike front and back tires are aligned, you stand as close as you can to the bike, push the center stand down until both arms are on the ground, rock the bike away from you a little bit and back, you can feel that both are down, then and only then, get close to the bike, and push straight down just with your weight on the center stand arm. I find that it helps if you have a solid sole on your boot and you are lifting up and back on the grab, not just up as just up will kind of fight the motion you need which is up and back towards the rear wheel.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
If you are almost dumping it on its side you need to make sure you have both feet of the center stand down first before applying weight. If both arms are not down, the bike could rock and that's when it feels like it might fall over. That is the part I see throwing most people. If the bike front and back tires are aligned, you stand as close as you can to the bike, push the center stand down until both arms are on the ground, rock the bike away from you a little bit and back, you can feel that both are down, then and only then, get close to the bike, and push straight down just with your weight on the center stand arm. I find that it helps if you have a solid sole on your boot and you are lifting up and back on the grab, not just up as just up will kind of fight the motion you need which is up and back towards the rear wheel.
I am having trouble "feeling" if both legs are down and am definitely muscling it up (and don't have many muscles left..) when I do get it. I think I am trying to pull it up and not up and back so I will try that, thanks

·
Registered
602 Posts
I use the same method, but, be careful.

1. My 2017 bike has the special "Shiny end" on the foot stump of the center stand, so that when you stand on it with wet feet you slip off, drop the bike and BMW get the opportunity to sell you bits. I didn't drop the bike, but I did slip off, thankfully the bike dropped down in a central position and I set it on the side stand. So keep the side stand down. My "Shiny end of a foot stump" has been painted with skateboard paint, excellent stuff.

2. Don't try putting it on the main stand with your side cases full. Otherwise you end up, standing on the main-stand and trying to pull the thing up, afraid of setting it down again, while your mates look at you laughing. I have done this.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I stated the same thing in a thread a while back. It's very easy to put on the center stand if you use mostly your leg. It is actually easier to get it onto the centerstand than to get it off.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Well, I do take it off center stand bu sitting on the bike and rocking it forward. No issue. But I am 6.8'

·
Registered
220 Posts
Starting with the GTL on the side stand, I fold away the passenger foot peg so I can get straight push down with my leg, with right hand on passenger grab rail, other on the handlebars and right boot on the center-stand, set the bike upright, rock it side to side to make sure both legs are touching the ground, then simply transfer my weight to my right foot, and up it comes.

For me, if the bike is set to two helmets, it's easy. On one helmet it's heavy and difficult, and I wouldn't attempt it with the bike loaded up, and never unless I am wearing boots.

Joe

·
Registered
303 Posts
I think I read here on forum that if you put bike in 2 up / luggage it picks the bike up slightly making it easier to reach the top of stand. A bit challenging for me also, I mostly use it for cleaning brake dust off back wheel. Have not tried yet I guess I don’t clean that much ; )

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
I am having trouble "feeling" if both legs are down and am definitely muscling it up (and don't have many muscles left..) when I do get it. I think I am trying to pull it up and not up and back so I will try that, thanks
Try a piece of 3/4" wood under the rear tire. Made a tremendous difference on my B.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Slight detour: what's the rule of thumb for when/why to use the center stand as opposed to using the side stand? I've always had a preference for the latter, but since I care about my current bike more than any other perhaps it's time to take my medicine...

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Slight detour: what's the rule of thumb for when/why to use the center stand as opposed to using the side stand? I've always had a preference for the latter, but since I care about my current bike more than any other perhaps it's time to take my medicine...
I only use the center stand on my B when I am washing it or doing maintenance. It leans quite a ways over on the side stand so I am confident in leaving it that way for hours without having to worry about someone knocking it over.

On my RT though, I used the center stand a lot because the side stand was fairly long and the bike really didn't lean over that far and was fairly easy to tip over especially if the slope was falling away to the right side of the bike. So, I had to be careful about where I parked it and if I was leaving it unattended for a while I would try to use the center stand if possible.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Slight detour: what's the rule of thumb for when/why to use the center stand as opposed to using the side stand?
Also to save space, especially in tight parking spaces and smaller garages.

Joe

·
Techmeister
1,468 Posts
For me, the trick is not to pull up, rather step down. I hold the pillion grab handles with my right hand, and the handlebar with my left. I then step down hard on the center stand while I "pop-tall".

Even easier - put a 1/2 piece of wood under the rear wheel.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Read the manual, my GTL says refuel on the sidestand and that is ample for me

Reactions: reid

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For me, the trick is not to pull up, rather step down. I hold the pillion grab handles with my right hand, and the handlebar with my left. I then step down hard on the center stand while I "pop-tall".

Even easier - put a 1/2 piece of wood under the rear wheel.
Exactly... no pull or lift required (just steady the bike with both hands as it goes up). You have to put your entire weight on the CS arm and as pointed out, the closer your center of gravity is above your foot the better (so lean into the bike).

For those comfortable with the procedure and who do some pull/lift, give this no-pull/lift method a try. I had been doing the same thing for nearly 40 years. Those BMW engineers really thought about the center stand design with the K1600 (GTL at least). I wouldn't be surprised if they said to themselves, this is the heaviest bike we have ever made and will be our flagship motorcycle - let's ensure that it goes on the center stand with no fuss (all in German of course).

Cheers,

Derek

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Apart from the reasons stated above (all legit), I use the center stand to avoid the side stand from sinking into soft asphalt (tarmac) on hot days in NC. You can get a bolt on, side stand load spreader to avoid this but, to me, they look ugly. Or carry a loose load spreader which is inconvenient.

Now the bike might also sink on the center stand on a really hot day but, when and if both tires touch the ground, it won't sink much more.

Cheers,

Derek

1 - 20 of 101 Posts