81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
As seen before :)

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
The trick my dear friends is to push straight down with your foot while pulling up, not back, on the handle. Your bodyweight does the work for you. Some more than others, but there it is.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
For me, if the bike is set to two helmets, it's easy. On one helmet it's heavy and difficult, and I wouldn't attempt it with the bike loaded up, and never unless I am wearing boots. Joe
I think I read here on forum that if you put bike in 2 up / luggage it picks the bike up slightly making it easier to reach the top of stand
I always thought that once the bike is turned off, that the bike lowers itself back into One Helmet mode??? Does it stay elevated when powered down?

The only time that I need to pull up on the rear passenger handle, is when I am wearing a softer bottomed shoe (when doing maintenance) and the stand arm digs too much into the bottom of my foot.

Also, as ridiculously overpriced as it is (as are all Wunderlich products) their attachment handle should anyone having difficulties getting the CS started:

https://www.wunderlichamerica.com/lifting-handle-black-14947.html

·
Registered
151 Posts
For me, the Ilium Works rear saddlebag guard makes a great handle to pull up on while applying downward force to the centerstand foot pad.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
I usually have a much more difficult time getting the bike back down off the center stand, vs putting it up. When putting it up, you can feel both CS feet "land" and stabilize the bike. Once you shift all your weight on the stand, the bike can't tip to one side or the other unless you were foolish enough to try it on a banked (perpendicular to the bike) surface. Moving the bike forward off the stand, I'm always concerned that it will start to fall away from me once the feet clear the road surface, and I won't be able to stop it.

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
I usually have a much more difficult time getting the bike back down off the center stand, vs putting it up. When putting it up, you can feel both CS feet "land" and stabilize the bike. Once you shift all your weight on the stand, the bike can't tip to one side or the other unless you were foolish enough to try it on a banked (perpendicular to the bike) surface. Moving the bike forward off the stand, I'm always concerned that it will start to fall away from me once the feet clear the road surface, and I won't be able to stop it.
After dropping a bike while standing to the side, I now always sit on mine when I take it off the CS. I have much better control and the bike only moves forward a little bit.

This would be an issue for the inseam challenged but you can lay boards down on both sides if you do it at home or shop - not practical while on the road of course but you might be able to take the seat off to get more "purchase".

·
Registered
151 Posts
@WillH, I believe that I blew out my rear shock prematurely by sitting on the bike and rocking it forward to retract the centerstand. I don't have scientific evidence that this was the cause, but I'm happy to hear other opinions. I have a 2012 GTL with 48k miles on it.

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
@WillH, I believe that I blew out my rear shock prematurely by sitting on the bike and rocking it forward to retract the centerstand. I don't have scientific evidence that this was the cause, but I'm happy to hear other opinions. I have a 2012 GTL with 48k miles on it.
:think:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
Did you sit on your bike at great velocity? No way. When in flight the road bounce alone would be many times your body weight in stress forces on the suspension.

81 - 94 of 94 Posts