BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My East Coast ride is getting closer. The plan is to cross the bridge to PEI and leave via the ferry. How are motorcycles handled on the ferry? Do you tie them down? Do I need to take anything with me?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Last time I took that ferry, the bridge didn't exist. Back then, it was just a park the bike on the center stand affair and enjoy the ride, but that may have been due to the calm seas that day (?).

·
Registered
9 Posts
I recommend taking the ferry to PEI and the bridge back. You only have to pay to use the bridge or ferry when leaving the island (no charge leaving the mainland) and the bridge is quite a bit cheaper than the ferry.

·
Premium Member
1,297 Posts
Reactions: Gunnert

·
Registered
445 Posts
Regarding securing bikes on ferries, this is something we do routinely if you live in the UK and travel to continental Europe.

All you need is the bike on side stand and in gear. Roll the bike forward to take up the backlash in the drive line. Put a pad or your gloves on the rider’s seat to prevent damage and then a single ratchet strap over the seat to the lashing points on the deck either side is all that’s needed.

If you really need more than that to stop the bike toppling over while on the ship then you have bigger problems than whether the bike’s secure or not ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Back from the East Coast - awesome ride, couple of rainy days. After 20+ years I've picked up a nail in my rear tire, fortunately in the city of New Glasgow. Pulled in to a gas station and managed to fix it with a quick repair kit.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Regarding securing bikes on ferries, this is something we do routinely if you live in the UK and travel to continental Europe.

All you need is the bike on side stand and in gear. Roll the bike forward to take up the backlash in the drive line. Put a pad or your gloves on the rider’s seat to prevent damage and then a single ratchet strap over the seat to the lashing points on the deck either side is all that’s needed.

If you really need more than that to stop the bike toppling over while on the ship then you have bigger problems than whether the bike’s secure or not ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your method worked like a charm. :stew:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts