BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
Is there such a thing as an "easy" path (馃槀馃ぃ馃槀) to run a wire from the handlebars to the battery? Being new to my GTL, I have no clue how best to run this wire, but I want it hidden and not a mess (i.e. rats nest) on the GTL.

Trying to get USB power to my new Quadlock set up to my iPhone.

Quadlock USB power

If not an easy path, how much dissembling is there involved to get from the left hand side of the V of the handle bars to the battery?

Steve's Brother
Removing the fuel tank plastic is a good way to get to areas underneath. If you haven't done that before it can take awhile to find all the screws but it's not too difficult of a job.

Here is a video that may be helpful. I have no idea why he removed the trunk so forget that first section.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHv0US-fZ4A&t=4s

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #3
Removing the fuel tank plastic is a good way to get to areas underneath. If you haven't done that before it can take awhile to find all the screws but it's not too difficult of a job.

Here is a video that may be helpful. I have no idea why he removed the trunk so forget that first section.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHv0US-fZ4A&t=4s
Thanks for the video...I'll study it while I wait for the cable to arrive!

P.S. I haven't taken anything off of my GTL except for the bugs!;)

Mr.Fix It
I remove the fuel tank panels along with the intake runners and run wires under the intake runners.

Duane

Registered
If you haven't seen them before, the expansion rivet on the tank cover can be tricky. It is under the rear end of the air scoop on the fairing. You push out the center pin and the rivet pulls out. You'll be lucky if you can find the central pin after it drops free, but it isn't a big deal. Replacement rivets are cheap. You can even just put the old rivet back without the center locking pin. It'll probably stay put, as it is under the scoop and in shear; but even if it doesn't the tank cover will stay put until you get a replacement.

Anyway, take the plastic off and follow some existing wire gang. Zip tie it securely.

Oh yes: All the screws are not the same length, so keep track of which goes where.

Reactions: joe schmoe

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #7
I remove the fuel tank panels along with the intake runners and run wires under the intake runners.

Duane
Thanks. Now to figure out what you're talking about! LOL!!
Seriously, I'm guessing the video provided by @Arizona Jim is what you're talking about. Underneath the air filter?

Registered
Reactions: XPLSV and XtBimmer

Premium Member
Joe,
A quick and dirty way to get USB power to my Quadlock was to run an off-shelf USB cable from the existing USB outlet located in my right side cubby. The gasket on the cubby lid is soft and does not crimp or harm the USB cable. Just close the cubby lid on the USB cable and stuff the exposed USB cable out of sight in the crack between the two Tupperware pieces of the fairing, running it up to the handlebars. The USB power will automatically turn off and on with ignition, which is a plus for me to avoid running the battery down.
Ken

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve's Brother
Joe,
A quick and dirty way to get USB power to my Quadlock was to run an off-shelf USB cable from the existing USB outlet located in my right side cubby. The gasket on the cubby lid is soft and does not crimp or harm the USB cable. Just close the cubby lid on the USB cable and stuff the exposed USB cable out of sight in the crack between the two Tupperware pieces of the fairing, running it up to the handlebars. The USB power will automatically turn off and on with ignition, which is a plus for me to avoid running the battery down.
Ken

If you use KEGs technique you should be able to find the hole in the back of the cubby where the existing wires come through and thread your new cable through it and up. You may have to remove some screws to get at the back of the cubby.

Question for KEG: if you plug a phone into this cubby USB does your bike recognize it when you scroll your audio system to the USB icon?

I don't know how new your bike is but the 2016 and older ones don't have that push pin rivet. I guess the newer ones do.

If so they are plastic rivets with a center moveable piece that when pushed down will let the rivet get smaller in diameter so that it can be removed. The Japanese versions capture that center piece after it's pushed in. After removal of the rivet that center piece can be pushed back up and above the head of the rivet. After reinserting, the rivet, the center piece is pushed down flush thus expanding the rivet diameter and securing it in place. They can be reused over and over. Once in your hand it's easy to see how it works.

Registered
Joe,
Ken

Have yu verified the usb pwr is actually off after ignition off ? Some, including me are having issues with the port not shutting down !

Premium Member
ArizonaJim & ezymount,
In reply to your questions, 1) No, the USB outlet in my bikes cubby sends only power to my iPhone, it alone does not pair/connect my phone to the bikes audio system, I have read elsewhere on this forum you need to buy a special BMW adapter that plugs simultaneously into both of the electronics spigots in the cubby to achieve an audio connection to the bike. I don鈥檛 use my bikes audio capabilities at all, I pair my NAV6 and my iPhone directly to my Cardo. 2) Yes, the USB outlet in my cubby does indeed power off after I turn the bike off (2018 GTL).
Ken

Registered
Ken, I was referring to the physical front right power port on my B. I have a BMW branded dual USB adapter plugged into that port, that I utilize for iphone power. May not have been clear on that. Thanks

Premium Member
ezymount,
Hmmm....I rarely use my 12 volt port, but the last time was to recharge my wife鈥檚 iPhone on the go and I recall we were very careful to remove (unplug) the USB power adapter at each and every stop. So that suggests my 12 volt port was not shutting off either, else I would have left it permanently plugged in.
Ken

1 - 15 of 15 Posts