BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a helmet over in Europe it's a better price than here in the US and it has the quick latch instead of the d-ring. I know there's pros and cons to the latch versus the d-ring. Has anyone done this has anyone had any issues with cops?
Thanks Mike

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I have purchased my last three helmets overseas. Two from Europe and one from Japan. Saved a significant amount of $$
I have had zero issues and have never been questioned by a LEO regarding the lack of a DoT sticker. Many people take them off anyway.
I also think there are DoT stickers available on the www if thats important to you.

Good luck.

Joe

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
As @BMWGuy says, there are significant savings to be had by buying gear overseas. In 2016 I purchased REV'IT!'s top of the line Dominator GTX jacket and pants as well as a Shoei Neotec helmet and a pair of Dianese boots for half of what they would have cost me from any domestic retailer. Plus, the selection is unrivaled. Here's where I got my deals: Motorcycle Clothing, Helmets and Accessories | BurnOutMotor

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have had zero issues and have never been questioned by a LEO regarding the lack of a DoT sticker.
The DOT sticker only means that a helmet has successfully passed the requirements of the US DOT's safety standard for motorcycle helmets (FMVSS 218 at Code of Federal Regulations (govinfo.gov)). There is no requirement that a helmet must pass those tests, only that the DOT have designed a test regime.

·
Mr.Fix It
7,418 Posts
I converted the D ring to quick latch on every motorcycle helmet I've ever owned. Never had an issue with nor have I ever heard of an issue with LE.

Duane

·
Mr.Fix It
7,418 Posts

·
Mr.Fix It
7,418 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
How do you convert? Cut D-rings and somehow connect the plastic quicklock connector?

·
Mr.Fix It
7,418 Posts
@mantincp , no, you cut nothing. The latch I referenced attaches to the D-rings on one side and to the strap on the other; e.g. no modification of your helmet. I've actually removed the latch from one helmet and installed on another helmet several times.

Duane

·
Premium Member
'19 K1600GT Silver/Black/Red
144 Posts
+1 to buying gear from online retailers in Europe. I bought a pair of Rev’It boots for about half price, and the shipping is usually super reasonable. I have even had to return a pair and it was pretty easy, even with going through customs on the way back.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I bought one of the original Schuberth Concept helmets in Germany and rode with it for years in the US without issue. DOT helmet requirements are probably aimed at the beanie style helmets. Which is not to say that a LEO or insurance company might not try and make an issue of it - realistically the ECE requirements are probably at least as stringent as DOT.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bought one of the original Schuberth Concept helmets in Germany and rode with it for years in the US without issue. DOT helmet requirements are probably aimed at the beanie style helmets. Which is not to say that a LEO or insurance company might not try and make an issue of it - realistically the ECE requirements are probably at least as stringent as DOT.
I was thinking about the insurance thing. But not sure how that would play. At least in CT where I live there is no helmet law. So not sure how insurance would play a role? The other state I will be riding is in upstate NY. They do have a helmet law.
Anyone have thoughts on the insurance thing?

·
Registered
51 Posts
There are many resources on the web to check helmet laws in your own state. At the moment only about have of the states require helmets while riding.

California, where I am from, has a recommendation for a helmet to be DOT approved, but it is not a requirement.
I had an encounter with a Cop last year when I was asked the reason for my helmet not to have DOT sticker, but when I've explained that ECE is more stringent, I was let go.

On the other hand, if you are participating in a private event, the requirement might be there.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
ECE is more stringent...
Correct. ECE exceeds DoT
Speaking for Schuberth, I can say confidently that they don't manufacture different standards for different markets.
One helmet standard worldwide.

Joe

Reactions: Vandaldog

·
Registered
160 Posts
@mantincp , no, you cut nothing. The latch I referenced attaches to the D-rings on one side and to the strap on the other; e.g. no modification of your helmet. I've actually removed the latch from one helmet and installed on another helmet several times.

Duane
Thanks @Gunnert I just ordered two.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts