BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
That’s interesting
I have 2017 and certainly noticed the slower takeoff compared to my earlier 2014
I read about Bren tuning but no UK suppliers so would work out expensive
My question is what about when the dealer does updates to the ecu would it overwrite the flash and would you then have pay for to re flash it after BMW's update wiped the tune?
I did contact JHS Racing to see if they offered any tuning but they don’t for the K1600

Question to our friends across the pond who have bought the Bren handheld - does the Bren handheld solution avoid having to pay for re-flashing because you and reapply the flash yourself?
Unfortunately, I missed the bulk discount opportunity and when I approached Bren and said I was a forum member but they said I would have to pay full price

·
Registered
30 Posts
Question to our friends across the pond who have bought the Bren handheld - does the Bren handheld solution avoid having to pay for re-flashing because you and reapply the flash yourself?
Unfortunately, I missed the bulk discount opportunity and when I approached Bren and said I was a forum member but they said I would have to pay full price

That is correct. I received 3 maps with my purchase. Original stock map to re-upload for dealer visit, an (AKI) 91 octane and an (AKI) 93 map - I *think* 98 in EU's RON. You would need to pay ($100/per) for a new map if something changed like aftermarket exhaust. The current rub is that there is an un-editable (for now) re-flash counter in the ECU that gets incremented with every flash. A few is OK, 20+ remaps is going to make service tech wonder.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That’s interesting
I have 2017 and certainly noticed the slower takeoff compared to my earlier 2014
I read about Bren tuning but no UK suppliers so would work out expensive
My question is what about when the dealer does updates to the ecu would it overwrite the flash and would you then have pay for to re flash it after BMW's update wiped the tune?
I did contact JHS Racing to see if they offered any tuning but they don’t for the K1600

Interesting question - maybe worth asking someone on that Forum?

It takes 20-30mins to get the ECU off, £12 to post with £1,500 insurance, £320 for the flash - but there is talk of a 25% discount day coming up - and £12 to post back. Post it on Saturday and you get it back at the end of the week, very impressed. They will also do a full Dyno tune for around £500 if you can get there for a day?

The Bren stage 2 tune looks good but is a bit dearer. From what I can make out, if there is a software update, to capture the updates you need to upload to Bren again and they will send you a new tune with the updates - or else there is no point in doing the updates? I think that is $99 and uses the same hand held tool.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Interesting question - maybe worth asking someone on that Forum?

It takes 20-30mins to get the ECU off, £12 to post with £1,500 insurance, £320 for the flash - but there is talk of a 25% discount day coming up - and £12 to post back. Post it on Saturday and you get it back at the end of the week, very impressed. They will also do a full Dyno tune for around £500 if you can get there for a day?

The Bren stage 2 tune looks good but is a bit dearer. From what I can make out, if there is a software update, to capture the updates you need to upload to Bren again and they will send you a new tune with the updates - or else there is no point in doing the updates? I think that is $99 and uses the same hand held tool.
Bren say Stage 1 derestricts the K1600 and Stage 2 optimises for best performance..
With the ECU stage 1 you have done what about when you take your bike in for a service and BMW dealer makes updates to your ECU will it overwrite your Flash Stage 1?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Based on numerous reports from others that had the Bren Flash the dealer ECU update will require a reflash once again.
If I recall Bren charges $100 USD for that.

There is a new Hand Unit that just released that might make it easier for you in this regard.

Good Luck

·
Registered
219 Posts
Thanks guys, I fully appreciate what Bren provide and costs but by query is about the start of the thread, Flash stage 1 offered by treetop tuning - K1600Belco?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts