BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weird one... I've had a top of the range Philips shaver for a few years. My girlfriend bought it me for Christmas one year and although not terrible, I didn't have the heart to tell her it's not as good as my previous one... It cost £250($315)!

So I'm on the lookout for a new electric shaver but it's a minefield!

I don't want to spend as much as she did but don't mind paying more if it'll get me something worth the money. I'm unsure whether to go for the foil type of 3 heads which I currently have?

Any help and recommendations will be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
22 Posts
ive tried Braun, Norelco, Phillips, and none of them compare to the panasonics for me. I use an Arc 5 and it’s been fantastic for me. I have very sensitive skin so shaving with a razor never worked for me. The Panasonic takes the least amount of passes to give a smooth shave. Battery lasts for ever and cleaning is a breeze. Everyone’s face is different so I can’t say this is the one for you but it’s what works best for me

·
International Man of Mystery
3,185 Posts
4th post on a BMW 1600 forum about a razor? Weird...........but again there is help available in the off topic lounge for almost anything you can imagine. How about some relationship counseling along with the razor advice?

Reactions: BMWGuy and J-Luv

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts
I’ve used Braun for years. Have been mostly satisfied so I keep getting them. Occasionally I used a disposable razor. For the last year or so, I hardly ever shave smooth. Purchased a trimmer that knocks beard down to a short stubble. My facial skin is happier. Good luck.

·
Registered
113 Posts
ive tried Braun, Norelco, Phillips, and none of them compare to the panasonics for me. I use an Arc 5 and it’s been fantastic for me. I have very sensitive skin so shaving with a razor never worked for me. The Panasonic takes the least amount of passes to give a smooth shave. Battery lasts for ever and cleaning is a breeze. Everyone’s face is different so I can’t say this is the one for you but it’s what works best for me
That is exactly my story.

Below are the ones I used before settling on the Panasonic Arc5.

·
Premium Member
4,070 Posts
A motorcycle forum full of old crusty guys who have been around. Sounds like a good place to ask about a shaver to me. I'm going to look into that Panasonic if my old Norelco ever gives up.

·
Sir Robin’s Lead Minstrel
1,324 Posts
Weird one... I've had a top of the range Philips shaver for a few years. My girlfriend bought it me for Christmas one year and although not terrible, I didn't have the heart to tell her it's not as good as my previous one... It cost £250($315)!

So I'm on the lookout for a new electric shaver but it's a minefield!

I don't want to spend as much as she did but don't mind paying more if it'll get me something worth the money. I'm unsure whether to go for the foil type of 3 heads which I currently have?

Any help and recommendations will be greatly appreciated!
This strikes a nerve with me. As a long-time Philips/Norelco devotee’, I’ve been more than disappointed with the last two VERY expensive models I’ve had. Older and much cheaper Norelco shavers were much more durable, and much better at, you know, the shaving part of being a shaver.

Braun’s foils being too fragile caused me to switch to Philips back in the late 1980’s, but over 30 years later, I recently (90-days or so ago) decided to give them another chance, and bought their next to cheapest full-size razor, which is made to put antibacterial hand soap on and rinse out underwater, as opposed to being put in those expensive sanitizers. It was only $90, IIRC. I’ve been happy so far:

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Ninulab - welcome to the forum :) if your current Philips is a waterproof one (mine is a 9000) before you spend money on a new one you might want to try what I do which is put some Nivea aftershave balm on my face before shaving and then shave 'through' the lotion, it gives a much better shave for me (and leaves my face nice and smooth ;)) you can then wash the shaver in water after use. The reason I do it was that I used to have an old Philips that had a built in replaceable sachet of Nivea that gave me a good shave but they don't make it any more so I just apply the lotion manually, worth a go at £4 a bottle 😁

·
Q
5,241 Posts
4th post on a BMW 1600 forum about a razor? Weird...........but again there is help available in the off topic lounge for almost anything you can imagine. How about some relationship counseling along with the razor advice?
Hey... we have had some in depth discussions on underwear so.......

·
Registered
113 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
"...how about some relationship counseling..."? How about some lessons in etiquette and social interaction?

Re: electric razors, my 2 cents (and it's probably not worth that) electric razors have become ridiculously priced. I guess they're following suit with everything else. I prefer the closeness of a "manual razor", but I do like the convenience of an electric. The last one I purchased was relatively inexpensive, but at least it was rechargeable, which I like. It's three head, they pivot, IIRC, and that's about all I need, except for the blades themselves to be sharp. Which is my next point/thought. Electric razors are a lot like printers, at least the cheap razors- you get hooked on the low price point, but then you often have to replace the blades/ink, which wind up adding to the costs in the long run.

·
International Man of Mystery
3,185 Posts
"...how about some relationship counseling..."? How about some lessons in etiquette and social interaction?

Re: electric razors, my 2 cents (and it's probably not worth that) electric razors have become ridiculously priced. I guess they're following suit with everything else. I prefer the closeness of a "manual razor", but I do like the convenience of an electric. The last one I purchased was relatively inexpensive, but at least it was rechargeable, which I like. It's three head, they pivot, IIRC, and that's about all I need, except for the blades themselves to be sharp. Which is my next point/thought. Electric razors are a lot like printers, at least the cheap razors- you get hooked on the low price point, but then you often have to replace the blades/ink, which wind up adding to the costs in the long run.
Read to receive some counseling. Bring it on.

·
Sir Robin’s Lead Minstrel
1,324 Posts
:) We don't want underwear seems digging into the buttocks on long trips.
Yep. When you're 20, you can make do with sandpaper, but once you're of a certain age, comfort becomes MUCH more of a priority!

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
As others have mentioned, 100% Panasonic Arc 5.

Best shave I’ve ever had with an electric...and thats coming from a guy that likes to shave with a safety razor loaded with a feather blade, or my fav, a straight razor.

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
Yep. When you're 20, you can make do with sandpaper, but once you're of a certain age, comfort becomes MUCH more of a priority!
Are we still talking about riding, razors, or relationships here. ;)

BTW, I've been looking for a new shaver and after reading some reviews on shavers mentioned here I decided that I don't want a foil shaver as I don't tend to shave every day. I did find a good deal on nice rotary razor though that comes highly recommended, so thanks for helping me sort this out. :D

Reactions: dobervol
1 - 20 of 38 Posts