BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am interested to learn how many K1600 owners have the knocking / rattle noise that I describe in detail below.

Thank you

My bike
New K1600GT 700 mile and had first 600m service and latest firmware update

Issue

After the engine warm up and between 1500 and 4000 rpm's and when the engine is under torque then a constant knocking / ratlle noise can be hear from the engine.

The issue is NOT when shifting gears but when cruising at constant speed.

Dealer Response
According to my dealer service manager, every K1600 has the knocking noise and considerated normal from BMW Motorrad.

According to this thread: http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-k1600-general-discussions/2423-engine-knock.html

The K1600 owner had the same problem and BMW replaced the engine.

Addional observations

- Noise come from the engine when riding at low RPM (i.e. 2500 - 4000) on two, third and four gear
- The noise seem to be worst when the engine is warm
- The noise is periodic
- The shifting is very smooth when done correctly
- I tried different gazoline (Shell, Marathon, BP) and also added RxP booster
- The noise is present regardless of the riding mode(Road, Rain, dynamic)
- Don’t have any other major issue with the bike

·
Registered
151 Posts
Need a better description of the noise but mine has a rattle coming from the clutch area mostly when the bike is idling in neutral and clutch is released. Kinda like a ducati but a lot quieter. Probably something to do with the slipper clutch.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
No knock here. I do have a very sweet sounding whine from 3500-5500 RPM

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

Reactions: Brazeagle

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Klacking perhaps

Mine has what I would decribe as a clacking from the top end at low Rs. Pointed it out to the SM and he says normal. No driveability issues and the bike runs great.

·
Administrator
17,921 Posts
"That's what they all do." The first response of nearly every dealership. Well, maybe not Lexus.

Waiting for something to fall off just isn't an option on a motorcycle.

I don't know what to recommend other than find a dealership where an experiences service tech is willing to take your K16 out for a ride. A ride long enough to see what they think.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The service manager did ride the bike twice and acknowledged the noise. First time was before my 600 mile service and told me they will review the issue after my first 600 mile service. Well when they did my service they told me that was now normal.

Not sure how hard I can push them to address this issue.

·
Administrator
17,921 Posts
The service manager did ride the bike twice and acknowledged the noise. First time was before my 600 mile service and told me they will review the issue after my first 600 mile service. Well when they did my service they told me that was now normal.

Not sure how hard I can push them to address this issue.

Ride their demo bikes to see if it is in fact normal.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Yep I have a noise similar to yours but I would call it a rapping noise not a true knock like a rod bearing or anything of the sort. It seems to echo from the top end of the engine at around 3000 rpm and very noticable. When I first heard it it reminded me of an alternator belt that had a hard spot on it but now I am beginning to think it is more fuel related like a noisy injector or something. I can't say it effects the operation of the bike but I have not mentioned it to me dealer yet. I want to wait until the engine falls off and onto the street so I don't have to listen to "that's normal, they all do that". The noise could also be related to the valve train but just guessing at this point.

Rick H.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quick update, I called the dealer sale manager do discuss my noise issue that the service manager insist that is a normal noise but can't explain it. Basically the sale manager can't do much about the issue unless the service manager agrees it is a problem. I am just asking my dealer to investigate further to where the noise comes from before saying it is normal. They don’t want to investigate unless the issue reported by BMW. The sale manager suggested calling customer service.
Well I called the BMW customer service relation department telling them the situation. They called the service manager and the service manager told the BMW customer relation that the noise is normal when the engine is cold but when the engine warm up the noise go away and this is why when I tried the demo bike another customer just demoed the bike so the engine was warm and was not making any the noise!
What a bunch of crap!!! The noise that I described many time to him was when the engine is warm. So BMW customer service can’t do anything about it except filling a formal complaint.
My first and last BMW bike
PS: Sorry for my rough English, I am French Canadian leaving in Ohio

·
Registered
626 Posts
Mine has the sound. I reported in a thread I started last year, referring to a constant "clicketyclicketyclickety" sound. I too believe it comes from the exact same place as the well known driveline lash.

Sent from my HTC One X using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I wouldn't go throwing the towel in or waving the white flag so quickly. You have gotten the attention of BMW now run with it. If I were you I would go to another dealer and see what they have to say about the noise and let them know you are not happy with your dealer. File the complaint with BMWNA and hold the course, it will eventually get fixed one way or another. If nothing else someone should be able to tell you what the noise actually is.

Rick H.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Rick, I am not ready to throw the towel yet but my frustration is at test here and running out of options except buying more hear plugs. I just spoke with the other dealer in my area and basically said that BMW K1600 are known to have many strange noise and they can't take the engine a part to investigate this noise if the issue is not documented by BMW.

If this was BMW car, I am sure this will be a different story.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts