BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
61 - 80 of 109 Posts

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
My new 2013 GTL has 400 miles on it. I cannot detect a knock of any kind. She's got a severe whir, which I think is normal. The shift has a serious clunk, which I can lessen with some care. I seem to be able to find neutral about 1/5 time when I shift between 1-2 or 2-1. Finding neutral with my 98 Road King was next to impossible, so I'll just work with the shift.

-ken

·
Registered
25 Posts
My new 2013 GTL has 400 miles on it. I cannot detect a knock of any kind. She's got a severe whir, which I think is normal. The shift has a serious clunk, which I can lessen with some care. I seem to be able to find neutral about 1/5 time when I shift between 1-2 or 2-1. Finding neutral with my 98 Road King was next to impossible, so I'll just work with the shift.

-ken
My experience is if you try to be too nice in the 1 -2 shift, it will clunk. Rev to 4000 and shift (not easy to do in traffic). Also in the higher gears try slightly preloading the shift lever before you roll back the throttle and then slightly disengage the clutch while keeping the pre-loaded pressure. It should just snick into the next gear. A little practice. Also the trans will break in and get better around 2K miles.

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
Good luck with your dealings with BMW, and hope you come to a satisfactory resolution.

I was out doing some errands this afternoon. My bike has a mind of its own because it took me on a 60 mile detour through the local hills just to pay the ATM a visit before I catch a flight in the morning. But I digress...

...I rode with no music and with the modular face of the helmet up so that I could pay special attention to the motions and sounds of the bike. I had my personal best performing ride through the twisties and created a tighter bond between rider and machine...

...oh, and no odd engine noises at any RPM I'm happy to report.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Just heard from the dealership. The tech and the service manager both acknowledge hearing the noise that I claim. Their answer is that it is normal and part of the break in process. However when I asked what is making that noise? They had no answer. They claim it isn't the engine, Trans, or final drive. Keep riding it and we'll see you for the first service. If it's still making the noise, we can take another look at it then.

I asked them to write up the service record stating that they both heard the noise, normal break in, and they don't know what is making the noise. They stated they looked at 3 other k1600s and they were the same. I also asked them to include that in the write up.

I'll just keep riding it until the first service. I'm a bit upset that they couldn't tell me where or what the noise was. I find it hard to believe that such a refined machine would have a normal abnormal sound coming from it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Just heard from the dealership. The tech and the service manager both acknowledge hearing the noise that I claim. Their answer is that it is normal and part of the break in process. However when I asked what is making that noise? They had no answer. They claim it isn't the engine, Trans, or final drive.
When they rule out the engine, tranny and final drive, what else is left? The headlight? C'mon, they gotta do better than that. :)

Steve

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
I don't remember if you said whether you had the opportunity to compare your bike's auditory note to another.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Took the bike(2014) to another dealership and was told that when in 3rd at 2800-3000 rpms cruising and not under load, that clacking noise from the right side of the engine is gear backlash noise. The tech said he heard the noise and that this is common with the k1600.

The engine is fine. They did the first service and all was well when they drained the oil and the drive fluid.

They said to keep riding the bike and we'll see you for the 6k service and I have nothing to worry about.

This is my first BMW and it doesn't seem to make sense to me that such a refine machine would do this. Those familiar with backlash, will this eventually cause premature wear on the Trans or cause it to prematurely fail?

Appreciate any insight on this.

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there,
I have similar problem, but only when the wheel drives back to the transmission. It is noisy between 5-30 mph, and sound like a loose nut. I've just visited the dealership and after the first test drive I was told this is the clutch and no problem with it. Then I asked the guy test it in neutral while the engine is cut off, and do not exceed 30 mph. He told me it is strange, but they have to report it to the BMW if they have heard about it yet. My GTL is 15 months old, and has only 5000 miles.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Newbe here,

Would love to hear from anyone who has had this problem and had a satisfactory resolution of any kind.

I recently bought a 2012 GTL used with 9000mi on the clock. The bike did NOT have this noise when I test rode or for several hundred miles after I purchased. I was perfectly aware it was out of the factory warranty when I purchased. I am very capable and well equipped to perform any repairs necessary so I was willing to take my chances. Took a 3500 mile trip 2 days after purchasing and on the return leg of the trip I started noticing the noise described in this post. Since arriving back home (Colorado) I immediately changed oil and filter to have the opportunity to check the oil for any indications of metal. Checked the magnet on the oil plug and even screened the drain oil over a rare earth magnet and no signs of metal. Rode the bike back to the dealer and got the same run around most of you have gotten. You know,"its normal", "its just breaking in". Gona have to call BS on that right away. Again this noise was not there 3500 miles ago.

I like just about everything else about this bike and am more than willing to repair what ever is making this noise if I could just get a straight answer as to what it is. Don't think the dealer has much interest in helping me since I would only be buying the parts from them.

So... if anyone out there has had this issue resolved in any way. New transmission, new clutch, new engine. I would love to hear about your resolution to give me a direction.

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
Newbe here,

Would love to hear from anyone who has had this problem and had a satisfactory resolution of any kind.

I recently bought a 2012 GTL used with 9000mi on the clock. The bike did NOT have this noise when I test rode or for several hundred miles after I purchased. I was perfectly aware it was out of the factory warranty when I purchased. I am very capable and well equipped to perform any repairs necessary so I was willing to take my chances. Took a 3500 mile trip 2 days after purchasing and on the return leg of the trip I started noticing the noise described in this post. Since arriving back home (Colorado) I immediately changed oil and filter to have the opportunity to check the oil for any indications of metal. Checked the magnet on the oil plug and even screened the drain oil over a rare earth magnet and no signs of metal. Rode the bike back to the dealer and got the same run around most of you have gotten. You know,"its normal", "its just breaking in". Gona have to call BS on that right away. Again this noise was not there 3500 miles ago.

I like just about everything else about this bike and am more than willing to repair what ever is making this noise if I could just get a straight answer as to what it is. Don't think the dealer has much interest in helping me since I would only be buying the parts from them.

So... if anyone out there has had this issue resolved in any way. New transmission, new clutch, new engine. I would love to hear about your resolution to give me a direction.
With all the various strange noises that come from the K1600 engine, I wouldn't want to own one without an extended warranty. Some bikes have had cracked pistons, worn out cylinders, etc. at low mileage. As I recall, a new engine is something like $13,000 and I don't know if that includes installation cost. An event like that would pretty much total the bike. My bike made the egg beater sound at almost all rpms. At about 14,000 miles it started making a hollow whirring sound on top of the other sounds. I didn't want to spend the money for the extended warranty, tires and 18,000 miles service, so I traded it in.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
No worries... I got a 2 year extended, but unless the dealer can or will do something the warranty is not worth the paper.
I am beginning to think this noise has got to be something simple. Several posts I have read say their bike has made the noise since the beginning and has caused no other problem. I just want to be able to rectify the noise or I'm going to sell the bike and find another brand. I find myself riding just to hear the noise instead of enjoying it for what I bought it for... My last bike was a Ducati and lord knows they sound like a coffee can full of marbles but there is a reason for all the noises. This "knock", "rattle", or what ever you use to describe it cannot be "normal" (IMHO) and if it is, why didn't it do it when I first bought the bike. It would just be nice if someone out there has had a resolution that could shed some light for the rest of us...

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Jeez, I recently purchased my new to me '12 K1600GT with only 1,700 miles on it warranty good until Nov 15. Test rode it and I have a few hundred miles on it (with ear plugs). Smoothest shifting and one of best sounding bikes (tied with Multistrada) I ever rode, and I've owned and rode quite a few. I was looking forward to getting comm. going with No noise plugs but after reading this thread I might stick with my regular fitted plugs

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
My first K1600 had this sound and I could even feel it through the footpegs. I first noticed it when I had around 1000 miles on it. It may have been there earlier but I may not have been riding it within the conditions that cause the noise. That GT decided to slide itself into oblivion and I bought a different K1600GT with 7000 miles on it. It too makes this sound and I can feel it in my foot pegs (mostly the right side foot peg). It's a very subtle feel but it's there. Whatever the heck is making the noise doesn't appear to be getting any worse as I now have a little over 44000 miles on the bike and the sound and feel hasn't changed. For me, it hasn't been a source of concern for a long time.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Like I said I really like a lot of things about this bike. Just disappointing to spend this kind of money on a bike that I now don't trust to take on a long trip. If I wanted an "around town" bike I could have spent a bunch less on something smaller and sportier.

I guess I will buy a service and parts manual and spend the winter trying to figure out what the problem is and fix it. I am leaning toward something in the transmission being the problem. Cant imagine anything in the engine making this kind of racket for any length of time without causing a catastrophic failure.

Still be nice to hear from someone who has had this problem rectified so I know where to start.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Like I said I really like a lot of things about this bike. Just disappointing to spend this kind of money on a bike that I now don't trust to take on a long trip. If I wanted an "around town" bike I could have spent a bunch less on something smaller and sportier.

I guess I will buy a service and parts manual and spend the winter trying to figure out what the problem is and fix it. I am leaning toward something in the transmission being the problem. Cant imagine anything in the engine making this kind of racket for any length of time without causing a catastrophic failure.

Still be nice to hear from someone who has had this problem rectified so I know where to start.
Is not the problem, your determination that there is a problem?
Assuming that many many bikes have this noise, which is accurate, and none have suffered a failure as a result of a component failure associated with the noise, then why are you worried about driving for long distances? Every failure of a K16 engine I have heard of has been either pistons, which did not demonstrate a noise, or some valve issues, that again, did not demonstrate a noise issue...

If you had definite proof that the noise was (as some dealerships have reported) gear backlash and no adjustment or repair was necessary, would you just drive it and enjoy it? If so, maybe that is your answer! :D

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
I guess you can look at it that way. But a knock that I can hear (and feel) that was not there one day and is the next fits my definition of a problem.
I wish I could just ride it and just not worry about it but that is just not an option for me.
Perhaps I just need to find a much louder exhaust so I have something more pleasant to listen to (worked on my Ducati).:rolleyes:

61 - 80 of 109 Posts