BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
81 - 100 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine has this noise in certain, specific situations. I volunteer to flog mine for the next 30,000 miles and report back! The condition I hear it in is when there is a lack of all the other noises being there.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I hear this in my gtl. At 2,800 to 2,900 rpms.
But I stay above this rev limit.
I know it sounds weird, but I spend most of my town riding in first gear. Maybe second when I am on the 45 mph road to work.
Just a thought.
As I wrote in a previous thread, the motor likes to spin.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Mine started this recently. Sounds like a timing chain or similar between 2400-2800rpm.

It's going in for a 90,000km major service in October, where I'm having them replace the timing chain and guides. I killed a tensioner at the 60,000km service in March. It may have been non-functioning for at least 15-20,000km before being replaced, so I plan on doing the timing chain simply because I have no idea if it's stretched.

When it's done, I'll report back.

·
Premium Member
3,099 Posts
Mine (2014) had the knock mostly in third gear at around 3000-3500 rpm. It probably does still but I don't notice it anymore. Bike now has 27000 trouble free miles and runs great so it must be harmless.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
My 2014 GT makes the same noise since brand new. I glad to hear others hear the same, and are reporting some good mileage on their bikes. I have taken to 3 dealers regarding the problem:
1. The dealership I bought it from said "that's normal and it will go away in time and it's under warranty"
2. Next dealership said it was 'transmission lash'. I disagreed and then they got very upset and insulted that I disagreed
3. The most recent dealership had a couple techs ride the bike and said 'what noise'. I just laughed at them and left

I'll continue to ride and enjoy the bike. It is a great ride!

·
Registered
198 Posts
This is my first bmw and the quietest bike iv'e ever ridden, I used to joke my harleys needed loud pipes to hide all the mechanical noise, but I usually meet my riding buddy/buddies at a local triumph and italian dealership and I hear all these 'brand new' bikes being started and ridden and most all of them are noisy, valve train, cam chain, ducati clutch noise, etc, etc, The K1600 has to be the absolute benchmark for engine design! my 2012 has 33,000 miles and makes less noise than any other new bike on the showroom floor and that says a lot. 'im starting to think you bmw guys are spoiled:)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sorry for dragging up such an old post but just curious; has anyone ever figured out what this noise is? Any engine failures related to it? Are the newer bikes still doing it?

I absolutely love the bike. I have only put a couple of thousand miles on it but it's already one of my favorite bikes I have owned. I did have a front shock leak over the winter that I wasn't too pleased with but other than that and the clicking described in this thread I think it's an awesome machine. I'm more curious than concerned. The bike has 26000 miles and runs like a champ.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sorry for dragging up such an old post but just curious; has anyone ever figured out what this noise is? Any engine failures related to it? Are the newer bikes still doing it?

I absolutely love the bike. I have only put a couple of thousand miles on it but it's already one of my favorite bikes I have owned. I did have a front shock leak over the winter that I wasn't too pleased with but other than that and the clicking described in this thread I think it's an awesome machine. I'm more curious than concerned. The bike has 26000 miles and runs like a champ.
OK, another year has gone by, might as well resurrect this. I have the same issue, "rattle" when warm, in 3rd gear between 2500-3200 rpm, with a little less in 4th. Not that worried given how many say it's normal, and I'm making it a point to keep RPMs up a little higher. I've had my bike for about 5500 miles now, it's a '14 with about 19,000 miles now. Just curious if the source of the noise have ever been determined?

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
By the sounds of it (pardon the pun) I have the same issue with my 2018 GTLE. My Engine/Gearbox (1 liter per 1,000kms oil consumption) and the Frame (strong left pull) were replaced earlier this year. Within 1,000kms the gearbox started to rattle when the engine was warmed up. The noise is only obvious when cruising (not decelerating or accelerating when the noise goes away). The original gearbox did not make the noise. Moreover the drivetrain is very very slack akin to riding a chain bike which needs a new chain or some serious adjustment. The drive train whiplash also makes a loud clunk, especially in the lower gears going from power to idle.

My dealer acknowledged the unusual sound and took it in for investigation 3 weeks ago. They replaced the 'Clutch Cage', no joy. The rattling has increased over the last 3,000kms or so along with the drivetrain whiplash. The bike goes back to the dealer this morning for further work.

If the bike breaks it breaks, my concern is safety. A catastrophic failure at the wrong time leading to a lock up or similar would mean a bad day for all? The bike is now 28 months old, it has spent 8 months (7 months being repaired and 1 month stranded due Covid closure) in the workshop and out of use.

And now that 'out of use clock' starts ticking again. Meanwhile the weather is perfect, more rides cancelled. How BMW can keep a straight face is beyond me. I love the machine when it works, there is nothing else out there that comes close to its performance, handling and modified comfort (RDL and SCiCal XXL) essential. That said it can be the best machine ever invented but in the workshop and out of use its value is so much scrap to any owner?

I will let you know how I get on with this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Any substantial update on this issue? I also experience the clickety clatter sound under warm engine conditions, little to no load, just under 3k RPM. My first BMW, 2016 K1600GTL, with only 3k miles on the clock. Gear lash seems to be the consensus here after reading all the posts but it still sounds like a valve train noise to me. The sound of something noticeably (but not dangerously?) loose either way you want to want to look at it. Hard to think this would be normal on a high end German engineered marvel.

I also have a click, click, click coming from the final drive unit that seems to be in sync with each rotation of the wheel. Might be more of an unbinding sound instead of a click but it seems to be getting louder in the 500 miles I put on it. I checked the various rear hub, disk, and lug bolts and nothing seems loose or protruding. Is this another "normal" BMW sound or should I be concerned?

Thanks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi Sym95734,

Yes, a rattle like this is extremely annoying! It can be a loose rear number plate, but you'd think it is coming from inside the dash somewhere....🤣

Periodic, certain revs... I doubt it to be an engine/ clutch issue.

You don't say if you had this rattle BEFORE or AFTER the 600 mile service.
Either way, reading your description sounds like something loose to me.
From personal experience of replacing the 'Sprague' clutch, starting from the top of the bike, working my way down;
(Working on the assumption of the bikes 600 mile service performed.)
1. Air filter replacement;
I doubt a rattle here - filter box, air intakes = close fit, otherwise I doubt upper fuel tank fairings would fit / align.
(I doubt fuel tank was removed. Under the fuel tank, nothing much besides carb & wiring loom...)
2. Oil filter - nope.
3. If spark plugs were replaced - are the lower radiator stabilizing 'arm', rubber grommets & circlip still in place?
(This you can easily see, looking at lower, botyom edge of the radiator.)
4. Are the utmost lower 4 screws holding the lower fairing panels all in place? (These are right at the bottom of the engine, in the oil sump / pan region.)
5. Has the rear tyre been replaced? Most times the complete right exhaust is removed to facilitate removing the wheel. Sometimes they forget to tighten the exhaust clamp to manifold pipe again. (Is the exhaust "hanging bracket" rubber grommet still in place, perished)

TO BE DONE UNDER EXTREME CAUTION
Bike on center stand ;
Start bike and run through gears (1 ~ 3rd) at slightly above idle speed - rattle still heard or not?
Let us know...

Regards!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Made a service appointment for later in the month and I'll post the outcome. The apparent gear lash high in the engine seems to be more common, the final drive sound is the bigger concern at the moment but I don't think I'll try running it on the center stand. If I grenade it due to excessive UJ angle they'll never step up and cover it as a defect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I am interested to learn how many K1600 owners have the knocking / rattle noise that I describe in detail below.

Thank you

My bike
New K1600GT 700 mile and had first 600m service and latest firmware update

Issue

After the engine warm up and between 1500 and 4000 rpm's and when the engine is under torque then a constant knocking / ratlle noise can be hear from the engine.

The issue is NOT when shifting gears but when cruising at constant speed.

Dealer Response
According to my dealer service manager, every K1600 has the knocking noise and considerated normal from BMW Motorrad.

According to this thread: engine knock

The K1600 owner had the same problem and BMW replaced the engine.

Addional observations

- Noise come from the engine when riding at low RPM (i.e. 2500 - 4000) on two, third and four gear

- The noise seem to be worst when the engine is warm
- The noise is periodic
- The shifting is very smooth when done correctly
  • I tried different gazoline (Shell, Marathon, BP) and also added RxP booster
  • The noise is present regardless of the riding mode(Road, Rain, dynamic)
- Don’t have any other major issue with the bike
Hi
Hi,

I am interested to learn how many K1600 owners have the knocking / rattle noise that I describe in detail below.

Thank you

My bike
New K1600GT 700 mile and had first 600m service and latest firmware update

Issue

After the engine warm up and between 1500 and 4000 rpm's and when the engine is under torque then a constant knocking / ratlle noise can be hear from the engine.

The issue is NOT when shifting gears but when cruising at constant speed.

Dealer Response
According to my dealer service manager, every K1600 has the knocking noise and considerated normal from BMW Motorrad.

According to this thread: engine knock

The K1600 owner had the same problem and BMW replaced the engine.

Addional observations

- Noise come from the engine when riding at low RPM (i.e. 2500 - 4000) on two, third and four gear

- The noise seem to be worst when the engine is warm
- The noise is periodic
- The shifting is very smooth when done correctly
  • I tried different gazoline (Shell, Marathon, BP) and also added RxP booster
  • The noise is present regardless of the riding mode(Road, Rain, dynamic)
- Don’t have any other major issue with the bike
I recently bought a 2021 BMW K1600 GTLE, I’m experiencing a knocking noise at 1500 revs 20/25 mph in 3rd and at 30/40 mph in 4th/5th gear. Engine sounds ok at idle and runs fine. Please reply.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hi

I recently bought a 2021 BMW K1600 GTLE, I’m experiencing a knocking noise at 1500 revs 20/25 mph in 3rd and at 30/40 mph in 4th/5th gear. Engine sounds ok at idle and runs fine. Please reply.
At 1500 rpm in those gears it likely is actual "knock" (detonation). Keep it in a lower gear longer, get the revs up just a bit. In 3rd, 2500-3000 rpms the engine "feels" happy and not loaded excessively, but we're getting that "rattle" described in the thread.

·
Registered
2 Posts
At 1500 rpm in those gears it likely is actual "knock" (detonation). Keep it in a lower gear longer, get the revs up just a bit. In 3rd, 2500-3000 rpms the engine "feels" happy and not loaded excessively, but we're getting that "rattle" described in the thread.
Hello,
The bike runs quiet when cold and the knocking starts when warm, I understand what your saying but this would not explain the knocking and the crank growling noise when you have the clutch leaver pull in.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Here goes my review on the subject...
Picked up a 2022 K1600GTL ZERO MILES, went for my first 300 miles and once in low speed at around 2 to 2.5K RPM, the knocking comes from both side of the engine, though I can here more on the right side, and it sounds like a valve knocking and only gets worse.
Also when the bike is warm, and I say LOW SPEED (25 to 40 MPH) because that is when I can hear it as I have my helmet visor open, unsure if it knocks at higher speeds, as I would not be able to hear due to environment noises.

The bike rides nice, gear changes well, power is normal in comparison (had a K1600B which did not do that at all), power is not affected.

I am wondering if it is NORMAL and I should not be worried about it? Called the Dealership and was told to continue riding until first service, however, I sent them an email with all details, so it is in writing, and they replied asking how many miles I have and they would get back to me...NOT YET received a response...

Will update once I hear anything,

Regards,
LCL

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi LCL - I have a 2022 Bagger and have the same knocking noise as you mentioned. It's done it since I picked it up and now have 500 miles on it. Same RPM range and its almost embarrassing riding though my sub with it clacking/rattling like it does. I've seen some others post about it as well and they say it normal and you just get use to it.

I'm just so surprised that an engine that is so good and so smooth everywhere else would have that kind of noise. It defiantly sounds more like an error state to me and not somthing that I expected on precisely built piece of German Engineering. ;)

I also have let my dealer know and they said they would look at it when I bring it in for its first service.

81 - 100 of 109 Posts