BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
101 - 109 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hei
Min k1600GT 2021 har også hatt denne lyden siden den var ny. Men nå vet vi at 2022 også sliter med det samme problemet. Legger ved et videoklipp som viser lyden. Min har ikke så mye og høy lyd som på video. Det er nå over 50 år siden vi reiste til månen, så håper snart BMW kan fikse denne lyden i girkassen for oss. Elsker denne sykkelen og jeg ville elsket den mer hvis dette ordnes. Se video fra kl 09.00.

·
Registered
K 1300 GT Special Edition
4 Posts
Hi,
I don’t have a 1600 yet.
Just a K 1300 GT SE

And I am extremley bad in English, sorry for that.

Still, the sound sounds a lot like the sound of a BMW 6 cylinder car.
And I think the sound in the car is of the ignition ore the injectors.

The engine is so quiet that you hear all noises. I mecanic I know put it this way: “They make the engine whay to quiet”. You would not hear this one noise 20 years ago.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi LCL - I have a 2022 Bagger and have the same knocking noise as you mentioned. It's done it since I picked it up and now have 500 miles on it. Same RPM range and its almost embarrassing riding though my sub with it clacking/rattling like it does. I've seen some others post about it as well and they say it normal and you just get use to it.

I'm just so surprised that an engine that is so good and so smooth everywhere else would have that kind of noise. It defiantly sounds more like an error state to me and not somthing that I expected on precisely built piece of German Engineering. ;)

I also have let my dealer know and they said they would look at it when I bring it in for its first service.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just bought a K1600gt 2021 and I know what you mean,
I have been careful not to over rev or accelerate above 5000 rpm with 500km on it i have noticed a weird rattling sound around 2000-2500 with no load on the motor.
Trying to keep the revs above 3000,and being a tall person thought it was wind chatter,but have ridden too many bikes to know different.
No other issues at any other revs with a load on just this.
Really weird like its a cam chain issue.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hei
Min k1600GT 2021 har også hatt denne lyden siden den var ny. Men nå vet vi at 2022 også sliter med det samme problemet. Legger ved et videoklipp som viser lyden. Min har ikke så mye og høy lyd som på video. Det er nå over 50 år siden vi reiste til månen, så håper snart BMW kan fikse denne lyden i girkassen for oss. Elsker denne sykkelen og jeg ville elsket den mer hvis dette ordnes. Se video fra kl 09.00.

Mine also does EXACTLY the same "egg beater" sounds.. 2022 K1600B purchased new this august. Now it has 1300 miles, and I notice it less, but it is still there. This weird noise can ONLY be noticed in very specific circumstances: low speed, 3rd or 4th gear, low RPM, like 3k or less, no load on the engine, and you just "feather" the throttle, and then you hear it. As you soon as you get on the throttle and accelerate, it disappears. I opened a case with my dealer at the 600 Miles service.. the service manager tested it it, he didn't hear the noise.. then the tech guy took it for a long ride, and heard it. So they recorded the issue in the service call, there is no resolution for this issue at this time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine also does EXACTLY the same "egg beater" sounds.. 2022 K1600B purchased new this august. Now it has 1300 miles, and I notice it less, but it is still there. This weird noise can ONLY be noticed in very specific circumstances: low speed, 3rd or 4th gear, low RPM, like 3k or less, no load on the engine, and you just "feather" the throttle, and then you hear it. As you soon as you get on the throttle and accelerate, it disappears. I opened a case with my dealer at the 600 Miles service.. the service manager tested it it, he didn't hear the noise.. then the tech guy took it for a long ride, and heard it. So they recorded the issue in the service call, there is no resolution for this issue at this time.
I read somewhere not sure if its on this sight,
But someone suggested to use the clutch for a while till the bike warms up then use the quick shift.
I tried this on the weekend,and surprisingly it worked the noise wasnt there on that ride.
Not sure if it helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,

I am interested to learn how many K1600 owners have the knocking / rattle noise that I describe in detail below.

Thank you

My bike
New K1600GT 700 mile and had first 600m service and latest firmware update

Issue

After the engine warm up and between 1500 and 4000 rpm's and when the engine is under torque then a constant knocking / ratlle noise can be hear from the engine.

The issue is NOT when shifting gears but when cruising at constant speed.

Dealer Response
According to my dealer service manager, every K1600 has the knocking noise and considerated normal from BMW Motorrad.

According to this thread: engine knock

The K1600 owner had the same problem and BMW replaced the engine.

Addional observations

- Noise come from the engine when riding at low RPM (i.e. 2500 - 4000) on two, third and four gear

- The noise seem to be worst when the engine is warm
- The noise is periodic
- The shifting is very smooth when done correctly
  • I tried different gazoline (Shell, Marathon, BP) and also added RxP booster
  • The noise is present regardless of the riding mode(Road, Rain, dynamic)
- Don’t have any other major issue with the bike
I just picked up my new 2022 K1600 GTL option 719 and have less than 600 miles on it. I too have that rotational knocking noise -- most notable when in 4th gear at 40mph. It is one of those noises that you know - something is not right. The dealer did not know how to address the issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just picked up my new 2022 K1600 GTL option 719 and have less than 600 miles on it. I too have that rotational knocking noise -- most notable when in 4th gear at 40mph. It is one of those noises that you know - something is not right. The dealer did not know how to address the issue.
I have just realised it is a trait of the BMW,probably more noticable to some people.
If you watch on youtube-jays big adventure exhaust mod you can hear it at certain revs in 3rd gear, more so on his new bike that the old because the exhaust is louder on the older bike.Have a good listen when he revs down on the bend and coasts for a second before re-accelerating.You will hear the ticking noise.

You can hear it.
Also i think more noticable on run-in with thinner oil,and riding habits,I must admit a motor this big I am not use to revving up that much but I suppose you have to treat it like a 750.

101 - 109 of 109 Posts