BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I’m looking at joining to collective with a used K1600. However the couple of bikes I’m looking at both have some bubbling on the engine casing. I’ve searched the forum for any post on repairs but seems to be limited to warranty replacements nothing on older bikes being repaired and touched up. Any guidance from the more experienced members? Is this something to be worried about or is it mainly cosmetic? Any advice/thoughts welcome?
89197A69-74C2-4D6A-A970-BBE347DEA081.jpeg

D467BE2B-2FE5-40CC-B7CB-0E0D41585740.jpeg

·
Upside Down
1,363 Posts
The lower part looks as if it is corrosion, I would be asking your dealership about this, as it may well be a warranty issue. I know a few guys on the forum here have had engines or their bikes replaced for similar issues. Do some searching on the forum you may well be able to find the thread with regards to that issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Geoff, there are loads of thread about the issue but they mainly on newish bikes and as you say it is generally dealt with under a warranty. The two bikes I’m looking are 2013 so I won’t be able to go down the warranty route so was wondering if anyone has repaired these bubbles? I was struggling to find anything on the forum about owners repairing these things themselves.

·
Upside Down
1,363 Posts
Thanks Geoff, there are loads of thread about the issue but they mainly on newish bikes and as you say it is generally dealt with under a warranty. The two bikes I’m looking are 2013 so I won’t be able to go down the warranty route so was wondering if anyone has repaired these bubbles? I was struggling to find anything on the forum about owners repairing these things themselves.
I am thinking if it is a known issue it just might be worth going down the warranty track, even if BMW does a half price on the cost of repainting the engine, I dare say it would not be a cheap option. To do it correctly you may need to remove the engine. Just my unqualified opinion, the plus on this would be there are a lot of cases just on this forum that has had some similar problems and it might be worthwhile contacting those guys to see how they went about having their issues fixed. The hardest part I can see if there is corrosion on the engine would be how do you deal with that and still paint the engine to end up with a fix, not just a cover-up. Please keep us updated on what you end up doing. I for one wish you all the best along with success with a fix.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Is that located up north somewhere? In those area's they use road salt & I know that causes corrosion on engine cases.If it is from a Northern state originally you might want to look south.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry I didn't see your English Flag.
No worries, incidentally I am up north and we do get quite a bit of salt.

I’m really looking to hear from forum members about:
1- is this mainly cosmetic?
2- have people have repaired these things to good effect with a wire brush and some touch paint?

With the two bikes I’m looking will be sold as is and I really can’t see BMW entertaining a conversation about a 7-8yr old bike hence my question about repairs.

·
Registered
812 Posts
From the view we have, the corrosion appears largely cosmetic. However There is doubtless far more hidden from view behind the headers, maybe the rad, & probably just about everywhere salt/slime can access. If you have the patience, obviously the appearance can be improved, but detailed correction would be a huge task & frankly would not be economically viable. These are big expensive machines & parts prices can be eyewatering, so caution is essential if you propose buying without a BMW warranty.

The fact is there are plenty of clean K16s out there so, unless you can live with this ones looks, having bought super cheap, I suggest you walk away. To my mind, corroded bikes usually suggest the likelihood of a careless previous owner, unless they are high mileage blood bikes or similar.

Often the MOT history will guide you too - clean pass rate good. Regular fails or long lists of advisories bad. If you decide on a specific bike, either privately or from a non-franchise trader it is always worth talking to your local dealer before you commit. They can provide a service check, given the reg. number & VIN, as well as inform you of the bike's warranty history, including declines come to that. It is not uncommon, on all older bikes, to see service regimes abbreviated & recommendations being ignored if they don't affect the MOT pass requirements. Hence be thinking about valve clearance checks & spark plugs for instance, rather than rely on some vague assurance from a trader that you later find was only a cursory glance along with an oil/filter change.

Welcome along BTW. Enjoy the search & keep us posted.

PS: RS paints can provide heatproof engine paint, as well as body colour for most years:
......... RS Motorbike Paint Colours - Motorcycle paint, bike paint, Kawasaki Honda Yamaha

·
Registered
57 Posts
From the view we have, the corrosion appears largely cosmetic. However There is doubtless far more hidden from view behind the headers, maybe the rad, & probably just about everywhere salt/slime can access. If you have the patience, obviously the appearance can be improved, but detailed correction would be a huge task & frankly would not be economically viable. These are big expensive machines & parts prices can be eyewatering, so caution is essential if you propose buying without a BMW warranty.

The fact is there are plenty of clean K16s out there so, unless you can live with this ones looks, having bought super cheap, I suggest you walk away. To my mind, corroded bikes usually suggest the likelihood of a careless previous owner, unless they are high mileage blood bikes or similar.

Often the MOT history will guide you too - clean pass rate good. Regular fails or long lists of advisories bad. If you decide on a specific bike, either privately or from a non-franchise trader it is always worth talking to your local dealer before you commit. They can provide a service check, given the reg. number & VIN, as well as inform you of the bike's warranty history, including declines come to that. It is not uncommon, on all older bikes, to see service regimes abbreviated & recommendations being ignored if they don't affect the MOT pass requirements. Hence be thinking about valve clearance checks & spark plugs for instance, rather than rely on some vague assurance from a trader that you later find was only a cursory glance along with an oil/filter change.

Welcome along BTW. Enjoy the search & keep us posted.

PS: RS paints can provide heatproof engine paint, as well as body colour for most years:
......... RS Motorbike Paint Colours - Motorcycle paint, bike paint, Kawasaki Honda Yamaha
Didn't know anyone made touch up paint, thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input guys. I had a look at another today. A private sale, so no warranty but the bike was mint. I had a better feeling about this even considering the lack of warranty. I think my only reservation now, after test riding one on Friday, is the screen. I just could not find a sweet spot with the standard screen. All the way down the buffeting/noise meant horrendous even at 30-40mph. All the way up resulted in a vacuum pulling me forwards. The only tolerable position was with the V right in my eye line. To be honest I was anticipating the screen to create a bubble of calm. Apart from this I really enjoyed the bike, really comfortable and quick. I haven’t lost all hope so am searching the forums for recommended screens. Any help or advice greatfully received!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts