BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m starting some lighting projects on my new to me 2018 GTL. First installed the top box brake light no problem.

Next step is to install a Fuzeblock to run some Skene P3’s on the back. I disconnected the negative on the battery and tapped into the license plate light wire to get a switched 12v trigger for the Fuzeblock. With just a wire tapped in, no Fuzeblock or anything else new I reconnected the battery to check my Posi Lock connection. Turned on the bike and got a red triangle and the service light came on. I just had it serviced.

I know these bikes are sensitive but will a posi connector with no draw at all cause an error code? Or could disconnecting the battery cause the code?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I removed the new wire, still have red triangle. Also went back and unplugged the new top case brake light and still have red triangle.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
will probably need a reset with gs911

·
Registered
554 Posts
Check to see if the bike's date was lost when the battery was disconnected. If so, that can trigger a service warning.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you. The date and time were messed up from disconnecting the battery. Reset both, turned bike off and back on. The service light is gone but I’m still getting a brief red triangle.

·
Premium Member
5,695 Posts
I run a fuzeblock and don't have that problem. Have you tried starting the bike to see if the red triangle goes away?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I started the bike turned off and back on again. Still a one flash red triangle then it goes away. It does not stay on.

I’ve read mixed experience on the forum about whether the dealer needs to do something after the top case brake light is installed. Maybe that is the issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Updating this issue. I bought a GS-911 vs paying the dealer $100 every time to plug in a service tool.

Had error code on top box brake light. I cleared the code in the 911, rescanned, no codes.

Removed the 911, turned on the bike, still have a yellow triangle flash then a red triangle flash on startup, but they both go away after the dash settles down.

Is this normal startup on all bikes, or is the red triangle flash still an issue? I cannot remember if it did this when I got the bike.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
Updating this issue. I bought a GS-911 vs paying the dealer $100 every time to plug in a service tool.

Had error code on top box brake light. I cleared the code in the 911, rescanned, no codes.

Removed the 911, turned on the bike, still have a yellow triangle flash then a red triangle flash on startup, but they both go away after the dash settles down.

Is this normal startup on all bikes, or is the red triangle flash still an issue? I cannot remember if it did this when I got the bike.

It may be a much wider issue, but just speaking for myself going back to at least my 2006 K1200S, the K-bikes of all ilk have had a tendency for 1-3 yellow or red lights to stay on for varying lengths of time after startup. Sometimes, idling may cause them to go away, but often they stay on until you begin riding away, especially the ABS brake malfunction light, and then immediately go off. If the dash clears the second you leave the driveway and hit second gear, if not before, nothing to worry about. I’m just used to it by now.

I get the concern, because particularly with the brakes, you want to know they’re functioning properly before you leave, so if the light doesn’t go out immediately, stop and go back.

In like manner, I’d expect ALL the lights of any kind to be out by then, too, at the latest.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Good meeting you today at Yankees. Hopefully you got this problem resolved. I know the electronics on the late model K bikes are rather finicky. I have had my own set of issues, although some of them self induced.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts

I can confirm that my bike does the same at start up. And I have no error codes as per my GS911

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
I’m starting some lighting projects on my new to me 2018 GTL. First installed the top box brake light no problem.

Next step is to install a Fuzeblock to run some Skene P3’s on the back. I disconnected the negative on the battery and tapped into the license plate light wire to get a switched 12v trigger for the Fuzeblock. With just a wire tapped in, no Fuzeblock or anything else new I reconnected the battery to check my Posi Lock connection. Turned on the bike and got a red triangle and the service light came on. I just had it serviced.

I know these bikes are sensitive but will a posi connector with no draw at all cause an error code? Or could disconnecting the battery cause the code?

The canbus system on these bikes are very sensitive to changes of load on a circuit. I added a license plate holder with leds for additional brake lights and got the same results, a red triangle that would eventually go out on it's own. I changed the wiring to include an ez-can to control the new brake lights and the red triangle is gone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts