BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was curious for folks who have experienced it - how long did it take from initial check engine light until it went out completely?

I'm 700+ miles from home and wondering if it's just going to happen intermittently or will get progressively worse? (Started about 150 miles from rally, happened 3 times and then didn't happen again in next 100 miles)

Can someone look up which side of bike is #6 cyl? My guess is I'm not finding a repl coil before Sunday.

Here's the autoscan of the failure:

Fault Codes : 1
- :
21FE42 : Ignition coil 6, 3rd in firing order, output open circuit
Currently present : NO
Engine warning light (MIL) : YES
Frequency count : 7
Logistic(Healing) count : 40
. Fault Code History :
. . Record number : 1
. . Odometer : 54412.3 mls
. . ABS time : 11220089
. . Engine Speed : 2793.0 rpm
. . Engine temperature : 186.9 °F
. . Battery voltage : 13.96 V
. . Ignition Voltage : 13.80 V
. . Record number : 2
. . Odometer : 54431.5 mls
. . ABS time : 11221376
. . Engine Speed : 912.0 rpm
. . Engine temperature : 184.7 °F
. . Battery voltage : 13.98 V
. . Ignition Voltage : 13.88 V
. . Record number : 3
. . Odometer : 54515.4 mls
. . ABS time : 11226807
. . Engine Speed : 2568.0 rpm
. . Engine temperature : 191.4 °F
. . Ignition Voltage : 13.85 V

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
No idea which is number 6 and can't find an answer, but 6 is often quoted as being the issue, and its going to be on an outer edge, water / corrosion seems to be the issue so if you can catch it early, dry it out and seal it it maybe just a tracking issue.

1 is normally consider the front of the engine, I would pull the right hand cylinder, viewed from the front of the bike, be careful of the connector.

Reactions: dmftoy1

·
Registered
190 Posts
The service manual has a data sheet for checking valve clearance, it shows #1 cylinder is left side as you are sitting on the bike looking forward.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
I have had 2 #6 coils replaced in less than a year, neither failed completely. It did not strand me or make a noticeable reduction in performance. Worse case might be the bike goes into a "safe" mode so your can limp along at 35 mph, not fun but better than stranded although I have not heard of this happening. The first coil was covered under warranty on the road even though it was over mileage and the second also covered since the first one had a two year part warranty.
Good luck

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The service manual has a data sheet for checking valve clearance, it shows #1 cylinder is left side as you are sitting on the bike looking forward.

Thanks!

Bike just made two trips w/o resetting check engine light so I think she will get me home and I'll replace coil pack there.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
What is the cost to replace a coil? That's my biggest fear, as I approach warranty expiration. I usually roll the dice, and don't get extended warranties.

Hasn't failed me so far.... :serious:

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
What is the cost to replace a coil? That's my biggest fear, as I approach warranty expiration. I usually roll the dice, and don't get extended warranties.

UK £103 GBP each

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Fwiw - I haven't spent a dime (yet) on out of warranty repairs (fast approaching 55k miles). So if at the major service I have to pay to replace a coil I figure no biggie - labor should be minimal as to replace plugs and check valves they'll be in there anyway.

Just my .02

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
It was actually number 4 in my case. Took about an hour in, same back together. Changing the actual coil was you got in there was about 2 minutes.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
Fwiw - I haven't spent a dime (yet) on out of warranty repairs (fast approaching 55k miles). So if at the major service I have to pay to replace a coil I figure no biggie - labor should be minimal as to replace plugs and check valves they'll be in there anyway.

Just my .02
Sounds good - assuming you didn't go with the extended warranty? I literally have had 28,000 trouble free miles (so far). I'm taking the $ that would have been spent on warranty, and getting new shocks.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nope - decided to just bank $ I would've spent as an exercise to see how it would work out.

·
Premium Member
1,220 Posts
My #2 coil started showing faults during Colorado ride last month. It never fully failed and warning light would frequently reset after turning the engine off and back on. I rode for over 600 miles before getting it replaced in Denver (didn't want to try going through the desert home with intermittent warning showing).
Cost ~ $600 but that included replacing all six plugs at the same time. If I would have felt confident I could have made it home, I would have done it all myself. But, when on a ride, I just wanted to get back on the road.

Reactions: dmftoy1

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Fwiw I'm quite glad to have an extended warranty. Saved my bacon when the engine grenaded and it was 13k to repair (don't think I could save 13k in two years). Hallzee, A&S has a 6 yr warranty for around $980. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

My 12 gtl went through 3 coils before it blew up. The last time #3 failed completely. It ran like crap, but it ran (good thing it still had 5 cylinders left).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did you ever get a response (offline perhaps)? I know it is an old thread but this is the only one I found that is related to this issue. I am getting the same error for Cyl #1. (2012 K1600GTL)...

Thanks,
Claude

Was curious for folks who have experienced it - how long did it take from initial check engine light until it went out completely?

I'm 700+ miles from home and wondering if it's just going to happen intermittently or will get progressively worse? (Started about 150 miles from rally, happened 3 times and then didn't happen again in next 100 miles)

Can someone look up which side of bike is #6 cyl? My guess is I'm not finding a repl coil before Sunday.

Here's the autoscan of the failure:

Fault Codes : 1
- :
21FE42 : Ignition coil 6, 3rd in firing order, output open circuit
Currently present : NO
Engine warning light (MIL) : YES
Frequency count : 7
Logistic(Healing) count : 40
. Fault Code History :
. . Record number : 1
. . Odometer : 54412.3 mls
. . ABS time : 11220089
. . Engine Speed : 2793.0 rpm
. . Engine temperature : 186.9 °F
. . Ignition Voltage : 13.80 V
. . Record number : 2
. . Odometer : 54431.5 mls
. . ABS time : 11221376
. . Engine Speed : 912.0 rpm
. . Engine temperature : 184.7 °F
. . Battery voltage : 13.98 V
. . Ignition Voltage : 13.88 V
. . Record number : 3
. . Odometer : 54515.4 mls
. . ABS time : 11226807
. . Engine Speed : 2568.0 rpm
. . Engine temperature : 191.4 °F
. . Ignition Voltage : 13.85 V

Sent from my iPhone

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yup - turned out to be coil failure. Bike got me home the 700-800 odd miles from the rally and I had it replaced. Was $165 + labor if I remember correctly. I got a break on labor as bike was due for its 54k service so was torn down already. On way home it would intermittently drop out, but generally ran fine when it wasn't dropping one cylinder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Soupa Mod
2,578 Posts
My coil started going flaky last June.

I replaced it 2 weeks ago after having put on 16,000 km's.

At the end it was getting pretty bad. I had been hoping to do it this winter.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I replace two coils this month. One for a broken clip that I've known about for six months since the last major service, the other due to a failure four days later. That one only lasted a couple of days before completely failing.

I did notice however that compared to the older coil packs, that they have been upgraded. The old ones have a lighter black heat shield on the leg. The new ones are heavier and are chromed. Same part numbers, but the serial number now ends in a 3 not a 2. BMW have obviously responded to the failures and upgraded the part.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Got my first "21FE12 : Ignition coil 1 in firing order, output open circuit" error last week via my GS911. I guess there is no consistent time before it will fail for good, so I ordered a new one. In my case cylinder #1 and firing order #1 are the same so I know which cylinder it is.

But I'm confused with dmftoy1's error "21FE42 : Ignition coil 6, 3rd in firing order, output open circuit". First of all, was it read with a GS911? Second, the wording is different than mine. Third it does not make sense to me. The material I have read lists the firing order as 1-5-3-6-2-4. Thus coil 6 is the 4th in firing order, not the 3rd. Can anyone help me make sense of this?

1 - 20 of 76 Posts