BMW K1600 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Is every K1600 going to have or has had this problem?

I wasn’t aware of this issue until now.
Yes in time every K1600 and every single vehicle made in the world will have a coil failure. It's a wear part, whether or not a coil fails prematurely is different. Don't worry about it, ride your bike, if a coil goes bad, get a new one and ride your bike.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I am definitely on the same page as you regarding heat, I think that is likely the #1 source of failure aside from age or electrical related stuff.
The coil itself seems to have some solid state gadgetry inside it.
The K16 engine runs very hot by default, if for any reason the cooling system underperforms, the temp will spike to what I think is an unhealthy operating temperature (the upper limits of what the HUD indicator shows).
I'm floating a few ideas on improving its performance but I'll hold off on those for a while until I address other more pressing issues.

Each Ignition stick has to be charged to provide over 20,000 volts to be fired 16 times a second at 6000 rpm

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes in time every K1600 and every single vehicle made in the world will have a coil failure. It's a wear part, whether or not a coil fails prematurely is different. Don't worry about it, ride your bike, if a coil goes bad, get a new one and ride your bike.

I had one vehicle with close to 300,000 miles, replace the plugs many times, never had a problem with any other ignition issue. I owned a 2007 RT for about 10 years, never had a problem with any engine related issue, just performed maintenance.

The mechanic at the dealership said the coil issue is rare. What I am reading here suggests that it is common. Which is it? That is the core of the question. It is a given that Mount Everest will eventually be sand.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I had one vehicle with close to 300,000 miles, replace the plugs many times, never had a problem with any other ignition issue. I owned a 2007 RT for about 10 years, never had a problem with any engine related issue, just performed maintenance.

The mechanic at the dealership said the coil issue is rare. What I am reading here suggests that it is common. Which is it? That is the core of the question. It is a given that Mount Everest will eventually be sand.
It's not common. The internet magnifies issues not non issues. But again, what are you going to do? If it happens it happens, you can't avoid it, so why worry about it. Deal with the issue if it appears.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It's not common. The internet magnifies issues not non issues. But again, what are you going to do? If it happens it happens, you can't avoid it, so why worry about it. Deal with the issue if it appears.

If it is an issue that can’t be addressed with preventative maintenance, I will sell the bike. If it is a design flaw perhaps BMW should be put on notice to address the issue. I totally understand anything mechanical having a failure, I just don’t like the idea of of waiting for problems to occur. It is my nature to not be satisfied with things that don’t work properly.

·
Mr.Fix It
7,200 Posts
If it is an issue that can’t be addressed with preventative maintenance, I will sell the bike. If it is a design flaw perhaps BMW should be put on notice to address the issue. I totally understand anything mechanical having a failure, I just don’t like the idea of of waiting for problems to occur. It is my nature to not be satisfied with things that don’t work properly.
How much? Year? GT or GTL? Mileage? Color? Photos?:)

Duane

·
Registered
33 Posts
How much? Year? GT or GTL? Mileage? Color? Photos?:)

Duane
2016, white GT, about 21,000 miles. BMW engine guards, Cal Sci wind screen installed, original windscreen available too, everything else stock. All service done at dealer according to schedule. KBB lists range of about $12-$16k, trade-in to typical list. If it is an issue with no reasonable answer I will sell it in August when manufacturers warranty runs out. I will pick it up Friday.

·
Mr.Fix It
7,200 Posts
@Ace , by August you'll be drooling over the fun you've had during the summer riding the GT.

Duane

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Lol good luck with the sale of your bike then.

Peace.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
2016, white GT, about 21,000 miles. BMW engine guards, Cal Sci wind screen installed, original windscreen available too, everything else stock. All service done at dealer according to schedule. KBB lists range of about $12-$16k, trade-in to typical list. If it is an issue with no reasonable answer I will sell it in August when manufacturers warranty runs out. I will pick it up Friday.
Take a deep breath and it will be OK?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Is every K1600 going to have or has had this problem?

I wasn’t aware of this issue until now.
This is the first vehicle I've had a coil failure on, and also the first that required that much tear down to expose the coils/plugs.

It is not rare but not also not very common in K16's. It isn't something to spaz out over, they can or will fail over time. They don't fail on every bike if the feedback of owners is to be believed but considering how many thousands or 10's of thousands of bikes like this BMW builds, there are going to be some that occasionally cough up a furball. It's not BMW's fault, they do not make these parts. This part is made by a few companies, one of them is Bosch and I forgot the other names.

It's sort of a numbers game like the lottery, once in a while you pull a bad number. A bad coil is far from the worst that could happen. Everything seems like the world is ending when it happens the first time, our vehicles are an emotional thing for us and it's hard to process when it happens to one you just bought. I can completely relate to that as this is a new bike to me even though it was slightly used when I bought it.
Now I just improve it and upgrade parts of it, it's a labor of love, I don't have to pay for my own labor so I work cheap (that's a good thing because i'm not a well off retiree like some). :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 2015 GT. At about 14000 miles bike started missing. I new it was one of the left side coils as I could tell from the exhaust pipe. I took off all the panels and radiator etc and found the outside coil was rusty, spark plug too.
6 new plugs and a coil fitted, back together again, all ok so far....
Water not to do with it? I don’t clean my bike with a pressure washer anymore....

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
Do you replace light bulbs every week so that they don't go out?

·
Registered
238 Posts
My '13, owned since new, has had three coils replaced since the warranty expired. All three were covered under the RPM extended warranty, which has one year left on it. Best $1100 investment I made on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
My '13, owned since new, has had three coils replaced since the warranty expired. All three were covered under the RPM extended warranty, which has one year left on it. Best $1100 investment I made on a motorcycle.
They are $200 each new and far far cheaper used if one is so inclined and pretty easy to swap yourself, so taking labor out, $600 in parts vs $1100 warranty? Or did you have other claims made that the extended warranty paid for?

·
Registered
564 Posts
My 2016 GT had a coil go out around 17k miles, and was covered under warranty. My water pump was replaced around 5k miles. No other issues with it, and I traded it in for a 2018 B on Jan 5th 2019. Gotta love the K1600 bikes, they are so smooth, and powerful.

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
They are $200 each new and far far cheaper used if one is so inclined and pretty easy to swap yourself, so taking labor out, $600 in parts vs $1100 warranty? Or did you have other claims made that the extended warranty paid for?

They're not that easy to swap are they?

I read somewhere that the jobs is at least 2 hours each (They're not likely to have failed at the same time). So, you've got 6 hours of time that is worth something. I never discount the labor completely...my time is worth something and I don't have a lot of it to waste on something like that.

I'd say that $600 in parts plus probably over that in labor definitely makes the warranty worth it.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
They're not that easy to swap are they?

I read somewhere that the jobs is at least 2 hours each (They're not likely to have failed at the same time). So, you've got 6 hours of time that is worth something. I never discount the labor completely...my time is worth something and I don't have a lot of it to waste on something like that.

I'd say that $600 in parts plus probably over that in labor definitely makes the warranty worth it.
They aren't that hard either. So okay 2 hours, at $100 USD an hour, $1200? So saving $100 makes it the best motorcycle investment ever?

I understand people's time is money, but unless that warranty paid for other things it basically broke even, thus my question, did it pay for other failures? And if not, then the best investment would have been to bank the $1100 for the X years the warranty was paid for, buy the parts on a discount and install yourself. You'd come way ahead, even considering your own time.

Just my opinion of course.

And to try and head off the inevitable posts of what others warranties have paid for, yes I get that some have come out ahead on the extended warranty, o really was just curious as to this situation.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Was curious for folks who have experienced it - how long did it take from initial check engine light until it went out completely?

I'm 700+ miles from home and wondering if it's just going to happen intermittently or will get progressively worse? (Started about 150 miles from rally, happened 3 times and then didn't happen again in next 100 miles)

Can someone look up which side of bike is #6 cyl? My guess is I'm not finding a repl coil before Sunday.

Here's the autoscan of the failure:

Fault Codes : 1
- :
21FE42 : Ignition coil 6, 3rd in firing order, output open circuit
Currently present : NO
Engine warning light (MIL) : YES
Frequency count : 7
Logistic(Healing) count : 40
. Fault Code History :
. . Record number : 1
. . Odometer : 54412.3 mls
. . ABS time : 11220089
. . Engine Speed : 2793.0 rpm
. . Engine temperature : 186.9 °F
. . Battery voltage : 13.96 V
. . Ignition Voltage : 13.80 V
. . Record number : 2
. . Odometer : 54431.5 mls
. . ABS time : 11221376
. . Engine Speed : 912.0 rpm
. . Engine temperature : 184.7 °F
. . Battery voltage : 13.98 V
. . Ignition Voltage : 13.88 V
. . Record number : 3
. . Odometer : 54515.4 mls
. . ABS time : 11226807
. . Engine Speed : 2568.0 rpm
. . Engine temperature : 191.4 °F
. . Battery voltage : 13.96 V
. . Ignition Voltage : 13.85 V

Sent from my iPhone
Good news, 6th coil is easiest to replace, no rail removal.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts