BMW K1600 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 161 Posts

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Have a reservation. Looking forward to the ride from Mid Missouri and meeting those of you attending.

·
Premium Member
5,183 Posts
Have a reservation. Looking forward to the ride from Mid Missouri and meeting those of you attending.
Well I guess I'm now out of the running for coming the longest distance to this ride!

This is a good group of guys, your going to have a great time.

·
Premium Member
5,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Darby wanted to hang around the area for a few more days so I will set up a couple more ride loops. We most likely will move over to a Show Low motel after the Alpine stay. I'm headed to Durango for a long weekend of riding and will post up the extended 666 weekend ride info when I get back.

·
Premium Member
5,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
The rooms being held for us will expire next week so if you plan on joining us and haven't made reservations you might want to do that soon.

·
Premium Member
2,268 Posts
I just booked 2 nights at the hotel.
October 11th and 12th.
In other words....I'M IN!

:tb Good deal Steven.... or should we we calling you Grampa? Congratulations!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Reservation made. Do the loop clockwise, south on 180 then north on 191. More fun in that direction. Places to stop for sightseeing -

Reserve, NM (6mi detour)

Mogollon, NM (22 mil detour, but very slow rough road)

The Catwalk https://www.newmexico.org/places-to-visit/regions/southwest/catwalk/
(10 mi detour, about 1/2 hour to do the hike)

Historic Clifton (Chase Creek St.) Walking Tour of Historic Chase Creek Street | Clifton Arizona

Morenci Mine Overlook Morenci Open Pit Mine

Blue Vista Overlook (Google + code HJ7W+WH Hannagan Meadow, Arizona )

·
Premium Member
5,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #88 (Edited)
Thanks for the input Brian.

For those wanting to spend a couple more days in the area I think moving to Pinetop would be the best plan. I have 2 loops figured out. One is 86 miles (1 1/2 hours) that we could do on Sunday along with a breakfast in Hannagan Meadows and then a 279 mile (5 hours) loop on Monday.
There is a top notch steak house nearby with THE BEST prime rib.

There is a Best Western with room rates at $77/night for that Sunday and Monday. https://www.hotels-rates.com/hotel/us-az-pinetop-1067.html

I talked to Bill to see if it looks like a place we would want to stay he said it looked OK and was located in a nice place so let's plan on staying there if you want to extend the weekend.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,183 Posts
Thanks for the input Brian.

For those wanting to spend a couple more days in the area I think moving to Pinetop would be the best plan. I have 2 loops figured out. One is 86 miles (1 1/2 hours) that we could do on Sunday along with a breakfast in Hannagan Meadows and then a 279 mile (5 hours) loop on Monday.
There is a top notch steak house nearby with THE BEST prime rib.

There is a Best Western with room rates at $77/night for that Sunday and Monday. https://www.hotels-rates.com/hotel/us-az-pinetop-1067.html

I talked to Bill to see if it looks like a place we would want to stay he said it looked OK and was located in a nice place so let's plan on staying there if you want to extend the weekend.
I might entertain that. Let me look at some maps and Ill get back to ya.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
That is tempting, can’t commit right now, not sure what my work load will be then. Looking forward to several days on the bike though.

·
Premium Member
5,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
That is tempting, can’t commit right now, not sure what my work load will be then. Looking forward to several days on the bike though.
When coming in off of I-40 an interesting drive would be to take exit 89, just east of Grant's NM, and head south on highway 117 to 36 to 60.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,183 Posts
BTW, an EXCELLENT and little known ride in the area is from Alpine to Big Lake on FS-249 Three Forks Rd. then Big Lake to Eagar via AZ-261. Definitely use that route if going from Alpine to points west.

https://goo.gl/maps/dxQUBgDDHHXP6Xhh9
Thats some nice looking road, makes me wonder why we would relocate to Pinetop when we could ride it from Alpine.. we are staying now? I don't think there's much of a loop there but you could ride it out and back? Ride it up to Pinetop for lunch and then back down to Alpine.

Thats a question for @Arizona Jim

·
Premium Member
5,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Thats some nice looking road, makes me wonder why we would relocate to Pinetop when we could ride it from Alpine.. we are staying now? I don't think there's much of a loop there but you could ride it out and back? Ride it up to Pinetop for lunch and then back down to Alpine.

Thats a question for @Arizona Jim
It's the bigger loop that I was thinking more about. Staying in Alpine adds more miles to that day. The Best Western is in a better location for restaurants and is cheaper. I guess having to deal with your trailer makes for more thought. Let me think about the logistics for you.

·
Premium Member
5,183 Posts
It's the bigger loop that I was thinking more about. Staying in Alpine adds more miles to that day. The Best Western is in a better location for restaurants and is cheaper. I guess having to deal with your trailer makes for more thought. Let me think about the logistics for you.
The trailers not that big of a deal. I would just load up the bike on Saturday night and Sunday morning drive over Pinetop. (looks like its only about 60ish miles) Unload the bike at the hotel there and ride around till check in. Ride on Monday, hang out, eat food, load the bike and head home Tuesday. That gives an extra day and a half of riding, or relaxing either way..

2 nights in Pinetop would be in order, Sunday night and Monday night right?

·
Premium Member
5,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #98 (Edited)
2 nights in Pinetop would be in order, Sunday night and Monday night right?
Yes, I'm thinking the small loop I have mapped (post #88) on Sunday and the large one on Monday.
Anyone else up for a couple more days of riding in this area of Arizona?

·
Premium Member
2,268 Posts
I think I would as well. Probably need to hightail it back on Monday. Things are looking better. Got my new left eye Wednesday, back to work today. New right eye to be installed Sept 18. Should leave plenty of time to recover. Has been going better than I expected.

81 - 100 of 161 Posts