BMW K1600 Forum banner

141 - 160 of 161 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
Departing this afternoon (Thurs 10/10). Looks like decent weather through the desert. I'll stop tonight somewhere between Blythe and Phoenix. See you tomorrow.
Safe travels to all.
Steven,
If you feel like a slight diversion, you're welcome to stay the night with me in Prescott. I'm going up later this morning (from Tempe) to spend the night. Friday morning Jim (Arizona Jim), Paul (TallBoy) and I will be heading over to Alpine. You're more than welcome to "go with" although it will surely add some mileage to your first leg.

Clay
480 five six o 96 eight 2

·
Premium Member
6,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Just talked to Brian (bbolesaz) and he recommended a side trip and a restaurant for a mid day stop. Below are a couple maps one showing the side trip on 174 out of Glenwood, New Mexico. It's a National Trails location called Cat Walk. There is a slot canyon with a raised metal walkway through it. The other is a town map showing the restaurant (Daley Diner) and a Conoco gas station for those who want to top off their tanks.

I have made up maps of these locations and the loop itself that I will hand out to anyone wanting an analog GPS. Brian says he can do the 211 mile loop in a lot less than the 6 hours Basecamp suggests so we should have plenty of time to enjoy ourselves.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone. You all have a fun getting here.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
Just talked to Brian (bbolesaz) and he recommended a side trip and a restaurant for a mid day stop. Below are a couple maps one showing the side trip on 174 out of Glenwood, New Mexico. It's a National Trails location called Cat Walk. There is a slot canyon with a raised metal walkway through it. The other is a town map showing the restaurant (Daley Diner) and a Conoco gas station for those who want to top off their tanks.

I have made up maps of these locations and the loop itself that I will hand out to anyone wanting an analog GPS. Brian says he can do the 211 mile loop in a lot less than the 6 hours Basecamp suggests so we should have plenty of time to enjoy ourselves.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone. You all have a fun getting here.
That's a good side trip Jim. Brother and I did this several years back. Thanks for the tip Brian.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Steven,
If you feel like a slight diversion, you're welcome to stay the night with me in Prescott. I'm going up later this morning (from Tempe) to spend the night. Friday morning Jim (Arizona Jim), Paul (TallBoy) and I will be heading over to Alpine. You're more than welcome to "go with" although it will surely add some mileage to your first leg.

Clay
480 five six o 96 eight 2
Thanks for the offer Clay. If I had a bit more time it would great to meet up with the Prescott guys. I may be getting a late start today due to work. Next time I'll plan a little better.
See you out there...be safe.

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
Thanks for the offer Clay. If I had a bit more time it would great to meet up with the Prescott guys. I may be getting a late start today due to work. Next time I'll plan a little better.
See you out there...be safe.
See you there..:tb

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Disappointed to report I will not make the ride. I was looking forward to meeting you all, but the weather just did not let up in time. Will cancel my room unless someone needs a queen bed for 2 nights.

·
Premium Member
5,209 Posts
Disappointed to report I will not make the ride. I was looking forward to meeting you all, but the weather just did not let up in time. Will cancel my room unless someone needs a queen bed for 2 nights.
Sorry to hear you wont make it.

·
Premium Member
2,283 Posts
Prediction here is for 29 degrees in the morning here. Been picking tomatoes like crazy this afternoon. Got out the thermals and heated gear. Plan to leave here about 8 am CDT. See y’all middle afternoon manana.:stew:

Reactions: Darbinco

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Pictures from the K1600 gathering in Alpine.

I rode through Safford and ran US-191 on the way to Alpine. ADOT is re-paving the section between Safford and Three Way. Had to wait about 20 minutes for the pilot car.

Along the way on US-191, there's a cave at the side of the road. It is now officially the bear cave as people have started to leave stuffed bears inside of the cave. There's actually 4 stuffed bears in this picture.

The distance between the Conoco station in Morenci and Alpine is 90.1 miles. It took me 1:54 to complete the distance. Averaging about 47 miles per hour.

The group at dinner Friday night. You want fish and chips? We ain't got no fish and chips.

On the loop ride Saturday, I took 2 detours. The first up to the old gold mining town of Mogollon. Two years ago, the road in the center of town had been completely washed out by a flood. It's fixed nicely now.

Here's some windshield shots of the road down from the town. It's about 15' wide and very steep.

At the base of the turn off to Mogollon

The other detour was to the Catwalk. It is a walkway through a narrow canyon. There used to be a wooden walkway bolted into the rocks that also carried a water pipe for the mine further down stream. Now there is a steel structure.

A sign of the times. Near Safford.

Thanks to Jim for setting this up. Had a great weekend.

All told, I rode US-191 6 times in the past 10 days. I'm going to declare that a world record until proven otherwise.

·
Registered
11 Posts
To rotate from the Win10 file explorer, select one or more files and shift right-click to get a rotate right or rotate left option.

Otherwise, open them with whatever photo editing program you use and there'll be a rotate option. The Win10 built-in program is "Photos" and there's a rotate button near the top.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Actually it is a Win 10 "problem". Win 10 pays more attention to the EXIF data in the picture (which indicates how it was shot on the phone). So Win 10 Photos tool autorotates based on the EXIF, but most forums ignore the EXIF.
Fixed now, refresh if you already looked.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Actually it is a Win 10 "problem". Win 10 pays more attention to the EXIF data in the picture (which indicates how it was shot on the phone). So Win 10 Photos tool autorotates based on the EXIF, but most forums ignore the EXIF.
Fixed now, refresh if you already looked.

No it's a problem with the EXIF data not being correct (mostly an Iphone problem) Anyways, nice pics.

·
Premium Member
2,283 Posts
Nice pics Brian. I enjoyed the weekend with all you “Zonies”.

·
Premium Member
6,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
I want to thank everyone who attended this past weekend's ride and get together. We had a total of 10 riders from several states, Arizona, Tejas, Colorado and California. I hope you all had a good time and enjoyed the roads and views of Eastern Arizona. I know the restaurants left a lot to be desired. If we do it again I've already got an idea to make that better. Special thanks to Brian for the pictures you posted, I was remise in taking any.

141 - 160 of 161 Posts