BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally, I got the new to me 2018 GTL home and tucked away in the garage! Transmission recall done, had the 600 mile service done at 398 miles due to the ride home yesterday from Ohio to Tennessee!

I'm PISSED at this forum ;):rolleyes:! Nobody told me about the engine braking and the FUN this bike is! MAN this bike has some great features and functions!!

On the way home, I experienced every season except for summer....When I picked her up in Aurora, OH., it was snowing and temperatures was 30 degrees. Luckily, I had heated gear, but as we traveled the temp controller failed and I had no heat except for the seat and grip heaters. We headed south down Interstate 77 and when we went through West Virginia, we ran into Rain with temps in the upper 30's low 40's. I do wish, I could switch the ride mode on the fly (Rain/Road/Dynamic), the power is wonderful, but a pain to have to stop to change it! Then once we got down to Tennessee it was a balmy lower 50's at night no less.

Just as I was getting home at 10:30 PM, a good ole' boy in a pick-up truck, didn't like that I was passing him on his right on I-75 (I was in the slow lane) he punched his accelerator, through a long sweeping corner. I hit the throttle and man was that fun! When I exited the corner and had a chance to look down I was hitting 105 MPH! It didn't feel like I was going that fast, but smooth as glass and firmly planted in the corner!!

My ride home fro the dealership to my house! I think I broke her in well?

·
Premium Member
6,414 Posts
Congrats on the new bike! I too did a fly-ride when I got my GT in '12. I can still remember how much fun the ride was from central NY back to VA. Curious, did you plug your heated gear controller into the 12vdc outlet on the bike? If yes, that's too man amps and the circuit tripped because it was overloaded.

Unless they changed the newer bikes, you can switch on-the-fly rain-road-dynamic. Select which one you want with the handlebar switch and pull in the clutch.

Duane

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats on the new bike! I too did a fly-ride when I got my GT in '12. I can still remember how much fun the ride was from central NY back to VA. Curious, did you plug your heated gear controller into the 12vdc outlet on the bike? If yes, that's too man amps and the circuit tripped because it was overloaded.

Duane
@Duane No Sir, I had a Gerbings battery connector, I had the dealership connect it directly to the battery before I left out from picking her up!

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
need to ride it back for the 600 miles service

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
Congrats on your long awaited ride!
Last Sunday I rode back from Texas in temps similar to what you rode in, minus the rain and snow. Even with heated jacket and gloves, riding all day in the those temps can end up being a very cool ride. My heat stopped twice but I was able to restore it quickly. It took no time to feel the lack of heat. Kudos to you for toughing it out!

Is the Gerbing connector a coaxial connector? If so the center pin in the connector is a split pin. Sometimes those split pins are squeezed together so the connection to the jacket is not very solid and will fail. If yours looks like that, take a small screw driver or a box knife and spread the split pin apart a little bit. I've had that type of problem but also on my recent trip when I lost heat I turned my wireless dual controller off and then back on and restored the heating function. Not sure what that's all about (fresh batteries) but fortunately it cured the blue lip effect of having no heat.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
@joe schmoe No Sir, I had a Gerbings battery connector, I had the dealership connect it directly to the battery before I left out from picking her up!

Sometimes the battery connections will have a fuse connection inline for protection. If this is the case, confirm the fuse is adequately rated for the heated gear your using.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Yeah the ride mode can be selected on the fly. Just pull in clutch and it will accept the new mode. I do it all the time depending on road conditions. Wet - I use rain mode almost always.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Congratulations on your new ride!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Unless they changed the newer bikes, you can switch on-the-fly rain-road-dynamic. Select which one you want with the handlebar switch and pull in the clutch.
They‘ve changed nothing: the latest bikes work just the same in that respect. Select the engine mode you want and while the mode indicator is flashing on the display, momentarily operate the clutch.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah the ride mode can be selected on the fly. Just pull in clutch and it will accept the new mode. I do it all the time depending on road conditions. Wet - I use rain mode almost always.
@Scotty Thanks....I'm learning!

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Re: changing modes...You can also just back off on the throttle, and as soon as you reapply, the mode changes to your new choice.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Congrats! I take it you earned no Performance Awards on the way home? I have my GTL apart right now and am running the wiring for the radar detector (along with a few other projects)...these babies get up and go before you even realize it!

·
Premium Member
5,784 Posts
Joe, I've said this many times to new owners "read the owners manuals cover to cover" These bikes have several unique features that you need to know. One is the proper way to check the engine oil level and another is the proper way to brake using the linked system to it's fullest potential.

It's too late to tell you to enjoy the ride except that it gets better every time your out in the wind.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone. Took her out Sunday to see how it handles the twisties. Boy was it fun!!
While filling the gas tank I discovered there’s a kickstand switch. Can this be bypassed? Is it REALLY necessary for it?

Now I’m making a parts list to get all the goodies I want on her.
Thanks again, she is a sweet ride with great control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
Congrats on getting her home!! Kickstand is a safety feature to keep from driving off with it down. I suggest that it is a desirable feature to keep. Not a big deal once your behavioral habits adapt. Enjoy that new bike smile for years!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm back to a BMW K bike after two years away. They are great bikes - enjoy your new ride!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts