BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a call today that my bike has arrived and was taken out of the crate, so like a big kid, I rushed over to see it being unpacked. While there I was informed that BMW changed their mind and are going to get the dealership to do it. I am surprised as BMW or anyone for that matter is not allowed by Australia Law to sell or released a defective bike to a dealership or customer. So the hold up has been a waste of time. The dealership is going to allow 3 days to do the job, even though they say it may take a day that BMW is allowing. But this is their first bike to have the recall done. I am comfortable as I know the Mechanic doing the job and his one of the best around with a lot of experience with BMW bikes. I prefer the fix is done slowly and correctly so not alarmed in any way. The best thing is that the bike is on the workshop floor waiting to have the Gear Box done at long last. I asked my Dealer Principal to from BMW about doing the first service free as it has taken 5 mths. to get the bike here and now the poor dealer has to cop it sweet. He told me that regardless it will be free even if he paid for it. He's also going to fit my Akropovick slip-on mufflers off my 2017 GTL free onto the new bike.
IMG_1541.jpeg
IMG_1540.jpeg

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
She’s a beaut!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Guys it has been a long 5 mth delay, but at least the bike is at the dealership so it should be registered and on the road by the end of next week. If it takes a bit longer I am fine with that too. Better to know where the bike is at rather than being kept in the dark on delivery or whats doing with the recall parts etc. Plus knowing I will get my first service free saving another
$400.00 is fantastic.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Still in the wrapping! LOL! Beauty! You're really close!!!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Still in the wrapping! LOL! Beauty! You're really close!!!
I can almost smell it lol. Once I get it home I have the BMW Engine bars to fit and the Illium Works rear Luggage protection Bars along with the Fender Extender and Wunderlich Handel bar mount for the phone. Mostly leftover from my last 2017 GTL as per photos below. I took them off my 2017 GTL before selling it and buying the Indian Road Master in 2018. Funny to think going forward I end up with yet another White GTL the only real difference being that the new one has reverse and a much much better Hill Control that works on the uphill and downhill grades way better than the older bike did. Um, also the Gearshift assist has improved over the earlier bikes if it is the same as the R1250 Rt that I back traded after just 2 weeks of ownership lol.
IMG_0092.jpeg
IMG_3116.jpeg
IMG_3162.jpeg
IMG_3085.jpeg

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Nice color.

What made you trade the 1250 in so soon after buying, if you dont mind me asking?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Are the forward highway pegs BMW accessories?

I am picking up my new GTL on Saturday and want to add a set to the factory engine bars as well

·
Registered
366 Posts
I am happy for you too, Geoff. She looks sweet. It is a great satisfaction to see all wrapping coming off in front of you. I love those cans. They look so sharp. Happy riding, brother......!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Congrats! My wife's favorite color; she loves her white 1250RT. You've sure had an interesting journey, Geoff. Unless you just felt like the GTL was too much bike for you at the time (and can't imagine that was it), it's not surprising in the least that the Indian, beautiful though they are, just didn't push the right buttons (although you have some awesome facial hair, and no doubt looked awesome on an American cruiser😁). I want another cruiser for the stable as an "on occasion" bike, but it's a poor substitute in riding dynamics for a K1600, so it's to be expected you missed your GTL. That turbine-powerful and smooth 6 is addictive.

The wait has to be both frustrating and painful, but she's almost as good as home. Enjoy!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice color.

What made you trade the 1250 in so soon after buying, if you dont mind me asking?
I could not get comfy on it, don't get me wrong the R1250RT is a fantastic bike but the ergonomics did not work for me. I kept getting pain across my shoulders and back on my neck. It felt as if I was on drugs lol a weird feeling in my head as if I ben on the Booz for a few days lol. I had just done my first service and paying for it when my dealer Principal walked by as we were talking I told him that I bought the wrong bike and should have bought another GTL so next thing he crunched the numbers and we came toa great deal on the GTL providing I had reverse on it and not pay extra for it. I sold my 18 Road Master that I loved but it was 422 kg and little old me lol 75 kg, plus 5`.6``. So trying to pull it back on loose gravel or any other situation where you could not park to ride straight out may that a task. I have to say the R1250 RT was much nicer than any of the RT`s I have owned in the past the Proshift assist was smoother the Hill control so much more advanced and as always great handling. But I always remembered the GTL was more like sitting in the bike rather than on the bike if that makes sense. Plus I had a lot of parts that I took off the 2017 GTL, plus the bonus now is all the parts, such as crash bars front and rear, Akropovice skip on and a few minor things I have from the old GTL will go on this new one and save me about $4,000.00.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Love the colour.
I have always been a fan of being seen from a safety point it makes sense, most of my mates who own Harleys have flat black or gloss black bikes nad wear dark clothing and flat black open-faced Harley compulsory lol. Plus most of my cars have been white for the same reason. With the exception of my 6.7 SRT Chrysler, it was gloss black and red interior. I miss that car as it went like a rocket. similar to the GTL lol.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nearly there, I'll be that much better when you take it home
Troy, I think most of us here in Australia should have our bikes up and running by the end of April I hope.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Congrats! My wife's favorite color; she loves her white 1250RT. You've sure had an interesting journey, Geoff. Unless you just felt like the GTL was too much bike for you at the time (and can't imagine that was it), it's not surprising in the least that the Indian, beautiful though they are, just didn't push the right buttons (although you have some awesome facial hair, and no doubt looked awesome on an American cruiser😁). I want another cruiser for the stable as an "on occasion" bike, but it's a poor substitute in riding dynamics for a K1600, so it's to be expected you missed your GTL. That turbine-powerful and smooth 6 is addictive.

The wait has to be both frustrating and painful, but she's almost as good as home. Enjoy!
My RT1250 was also white and love that but it just a shame it did not work form me.
IMG_1248.jpeg

·
Registered
135 Posts
Congrats on a beautiful new GTL. It truly is beautiful. I have heard others say they also could not get comfortable on an R1200/1250 due to back and shoulder pain. One of the most comfortable bikes I’ve ever owned was an R1200 GSA which was extremely modified ergonomically. Because I was missing the GSA, I now have a new one in my garage. Because it’s winter here, I’ve only ridden it about 3 miles total.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts