BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've waited all my life to get a bike. I recently purchased a new to me K1600 GTL and I couldn't be happier.

You guys have a great forum here and I am blown away at the collective knowledge of this group.

Thank you for sharing your prowess.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I can't say enough about the overall wonderfulness that's a K1600. After owning a few dozen bikes and riding a few dozen others, I think this is the best street bike made. If it's your first, be careful. It has way too much power (way more than it needs anyway), and can feel top heavy at very slow speeds. It also has so many options and on-the-fly controls, it can be distracting when riding if you let yourself get caught up playing with the wonderwheel. Enjoy it, for sure. And, if you haven't, I highly recommend you take a MSF safety course. That's for any motorcycle. I rode well over 30 years and took the course, learning some valuable information. You got a great motorcycle. Hopefully the weather will let you get on it.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Welcome! Quite a bike for your first. Maybe you have ridden many but never owned. My first street bike at 17yo was what would have been considered a crotch rocket at the time. Probably on the insane side of rational decisions. I couldn’t be swayed or deterred. I loved it. Glad I’m not 17 now with the crotch rockets currently available. I would probably wind up a statistic. I hope you have a wonderful time riding your new bike a enjoy the forum. Glad you’re here. A couple more posts here and you’re free to post elsewhere. All the best.

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new toys (both KDude & geneapodaca), enjoy!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Welcome to the forum and the K1600. I've owned a lot of different bikes and my GTL is the one I like the best. Helluva bike!

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Welcome to a fantastic forum. My '12 GTL going on 65k mi. still impresses me every time I ride it. I can only imagine what yours must be like.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Welcome -=K=-Dude!!

We are pleased that you are here and finally pulled the trigger on a lifelong want.

A request from the good people on these forums - Practice, practice, practice - riding this bike in a safe area and be careful and always be aware and respect the power and go nuts and have fun!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. I appreciate all the good advice regarding safety. I attended the MSF course five years ago in order to get my motorcycle license endorsement. Given the power of the K bike I decided to take it again this spring and came away with a perfect score. Frankly I was shocked.

I'd like to take more challenging advanced classes on my bike rather than theirs. I have heard of BMW courses in Greenville SC. Is this worthwhile?

·
Registered
981 Posts
Yes it is worthwhile and so is wearing down the rubber on the pavement in all types of situations. Happy to have you in our hive.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
I took the BMW course I think in 2012 or 2013. It was VERY good. It may sound weird but when it rained during the track riding, it became even more fun! I was surprised by how much lean angle and tire grip the bikes could generate at speed on a wet course. Plus it’s just beautiful in that area of the country.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like I need to plan on a visit to Greenville/Spartanburg. I'll throw the bike in the back of the truck the wife and I will make a mini vacation out of it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts