BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Upside Down
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This morning I started out on my first ride to get some klms. on the Kawasaki before I have to do the first service at 1,000 klms or next week.
I did about 3/4 of the required klms a total of 643.klms starting out in the rain very light, to be honest before getting on the bike I used the Rideology app to tune the suspension settings, etc.I chose sport and one rider as it suits my riding style although with new tyres and wet roads I made sure I took it easy in the bends and corners until I got around 160 klms on them. The bike surprised me it handled really well almost floated over the rough roads. the first 150 klms took me over some nice winding roads with a few long straights to wind the bike out a bit. I did get stuck behind about 30 Army trucks in convoy while having the drivers under instruction. It got a bit frustrating as they were sitting at 50 klmhp in a 90 klm zone. So whenever I had a good clear view I overtook as many as I could before arriving in Glouster to top the bike up with fuel. to this stage, the motor was smooth enough torque to put a smile on my ace. then after going through this wonderful Hunter Valley town known for its dairy cattle mostly. I started the climb up towards Walcha via Thunderbolts way. Lots of twisty roads with long sweeping bends and some sharp right and left turns all the way up to the lookout about 80 klms out of Glouster. The bike loved being revved and being thrown into the corners. I kept the rpms around 4,000 although it should have been varied up and down the rev range a bit more. The engine braking helped with slowing up on some of the sharper wet sections. The average lean angles were 40degree tp the left and 39 to the right I have done this road so many times and up till today never been able to look out for the lookout but this time I managed to get photos. There was a guy on Suzuki doing the same as me and running in his bike. after chatting to him I started off only to see to detectives stop for a break so had a little chat with them and it turned out I knew one from my past connections with the police. taking off towards Walcha and approx 80% of the ride I paused took some photos of a Historic house just outside of Walcha before going through the township heading westward toward Tamworth for a coffee. The roads from there come long and fast with nice tight corners and sweeping bends. The Kawasaki loved it, the short shifter was amazing compared to the BMW the bike felt so sure-footed it gave me a lot of confidence to push it harder. At Tamworth our country music town I changed the settings from Sports to Road to see if there was any real difference. I have to say for me I prefer the Sports mode and the road mode was a bit dull and the suspension felt spongy in some of the bends with the rear end sort of wallowing a little in the corners. With any rough section, it did not seem to soak up the bumps like it did in the sports mode. by now I was about 3/4 of the way through the ride and the average temps were around mid-'30s c the engine was getting hot and my calves were feeling it. So the million-dollar question would be. Do I regret selling the GTL and buying this? Two different bikes but both touring and The Kawasaki felt more sporty but as comfortable as the GTL so in the ideal world I would love to have both bikes as each has its own appeal and character, Both bikes handle exceptional and have the ability to stretch their legs to the fullest. I would think that the BMW would win on fuel consumption even at the higher speeds I was doing today. Comfort might go a tad towards the Kawasaki although with the last 160 klms My arse was getting the famous numb bum feeling and I was looking forward to getting home to have a coffee before washing the bike and putting it to bed. Some photos below of today's ride. Nothing too exciting but some of the best bike roads in the central, west, and mid-NSW area. One of the photos is of the old pub in Walcha bought by 2 guys who are bike enthusiasts it is very popular with bikers.

IMG_0275.jpeg
IMG_0279.jpeg
IMG_0282.jpeg
IMG_0284.jpeg
IMG_0285.jpeg
IMG_0286.jpeg
IMG_0287.jpeg
IMG_0289.jpeg
IMG_0291.jpeg

·
Registered
381 Posts
This morning I started out on my first ride to get some klms. on the Kawasaki before I have to do the first service at 1,000 klms or next week.
I did about 3/4 of the required klms a total of 643.klms starting out in the rain very light, to be honest before getting on the bike I used the Rideology app to tune the suspension settings, etc.I chose sport and one rider as it suits my riding style although with new tyres and wet roads I made sure I took it easy in the bends and corners until I got around 160 klms on them. The bike surprised me it handled really well almost floated over the rough roads. the first 150 klms took me over some nice winding roads with a few long straights to wind the bike out a bit. I did get stuck behind about 30 Army trucks in convoy while having the drivers under instruction. It got a bit frustrating as they were sitting at 50 klmhp in a 90 klm zone. So whenever I had a good clear view I overtook as many as I could before arriving in Glouster to top the bike up with fuel. to this stage, the motor was smooth enough torque to put a smile on my ace. then after going through this wonderful Hunter Valley town known for its dairy cattle mostly. I started the climb up towards Walcha via Thunderbolts way. Lots of twisty roads with long sweeping bends and some sharp right and left turns all the way up to the lookout about 80 klms out of Glouster. The bike loved being revved and being thrown into the corners. I kept the rpms around 4,000 although it should have been varied up and down the rev range a bit more. The engine braking helped with slowing up on some of the sharper wet sections. The average lean angles were 40degree tp the left and 39 to the right I have done this road so many times and up till today never been able to look out for the lookout but this time I managed to get photos. There was a guy on Suzuki doing the same as me and running in his bike. after chatting to him I started off only to see to detectives stop for a break so had a little chat with them and it turned out I knew one from my past connections with the police. taking off towards Walcha and approx 80% of the ride I paused took some photos of a Historic house just outside of Walcha before going through the township heading westward toward Tamworth for a coffee. The roads from there come long and fast with nice tight corners and sweeping bends. The Kawasaki loved it, the short shifter was amazing compared to the BMW the bike felt so sure-footed it gave me a lot of confidence to push it harder. At Tamworth our country music town I changed the settings from Sports to Road to see if there was any real difference. I have to say for me I prefer the Sports mode and the road mode was a bit dull and the suspension felt spongy in some of the bends with the rear end sort of wallowing a little in the corners. With any rough section, it did not seem to soak up the bumps like it did in the sports mode. by now I was about 3/4 of the way through the ride and the average temps were around mid-'30s c the engine was getting hot and my calves were feeling it. So the million-dollar question would be. Do I regret selling the GTL and buying this? Two different bikes but both touring and The Kawasaki felt more sporty but as comfortable as the GTL so in the ideal world I would love to have both bikes as each has its own appeal and character, Both bikes handle exceptional and have the ability to stretch their legs to the fullest. I would think that the BMW would win on fuel consumption even at the higher speeds I was doing today. Comfort might go a tad towards the Kawasaki although with the last 160 klms My arse was getting the famous numb bum feeling and I was looking forward to getting home to have a coffee before washing the bike and putting it to bed. Some photos below of today's ride. Nothing too exciting but some of the best bike roads in the central, west, and mid-NSW area. One of the photos is of the old pub in Walcha bought by 2 guys who are bike enthusiasts it is very popular with bikers.
Great yarn Geoff, glad you're enjoying your new toy. 40 deg lean angle on your first ride means you certainly feel confident with the bike.
Maybe I'm the only one but I can't see any pics.
Again, congrats, Baz

·
Upside Down
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Great yarn Geoff, glad you're enjoying your new toy. 40 deg lean angle on your first ride means you certainly feel confident with the bike.
Again, congrats, Baz
I am not sure what happen but they have added again now so should be all good. Sorry by the way Baz I thought I seen you being advertised on the roadside, There was a sign saying old wears and near a pub near Burning mountain too. I have to also admit not having the convenience of a top case or panniers is a pain. Funny you don't miss something until it's not there. I am glad I have got them coming although the panniers will be in late March the top case will be on after the first service. The other thing I should also add is that these engines do give off a lot of heat around the legs but they are a great bike overall, so all the reservations I had about letting the GTL go are almost nil. If it was about a 1` lower or I was 1` taller there would not be an issue. As it is now I need to be extra careful while stopping on the roadside. But I don't wish to add a lowering kit and stuff up a great suspension setup.:whistle::geek:(y)

·
Registered
2018 K1600 GTL, 2019 R1250 GSA
172 Posts
That’s a fine review of the new Versys 1000. If I were riding solo consistently, I wouldn’t have the K1600 GTL. However, I have never been so impressed at the rock solid feel of riding with my wife at 85 MPH completely loaded with baggage. For us, the comfort and performance of the GTL riding two-up is unparalleled. Congrats on your new ride.

·
Registered
Waiting for my K1600 B
196 Posts
Hi Geoff

Great to see you enjoyed the new bike, good summary and sounds a nice ride. Thats my sons Kawasaki 1000 he loves it and it handles a treat. My GS next to it.
We went for a ride to visit my Father on Saturday, we are working on a project that will Change The World, soon to be announced.

·
Upside Down
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Again, congrats, Baz
Baz, I loved the ride the bike performed fantastically, however, it was running hot and burning my legs after Tamworth and the weather temps increased dramatically. I know all engines run hot while running in especially with the run in oil so I am expecting that to change after the first service. I took it easy on some of the bends going up Thunderbolts way due to the wet surface and new tyres, but still managed to get the lean angles I mentioned above. This bike is amazing to ride with the amount of handling, power on hand, and smooth. The engine hums and nice to listen to, when you boot it to obtain higher speeds it roars and inspires your confidence to just go for it. Plus being 100 kg lighter is a bonus with the exception of the height is my only complaint but that's me being a short arse not the bike's issue. I just need to be vigilant at any stops, that I can live with. So after yesterday's great ride, I need to do shorter rides so as not to get too much over the required 1,000 klms for the first service.

Reactions: RDeweger

·
Upside Down
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Geoff View attachment 149705

Great to see you enjoyed the new bike, good summary and sounds a nice ride. Thats my sons Kawasaki 1000 he loves it and it handles a treat. My GS next to it.
We went for a ride to visit my Father on Saturday, we are working on a project that will Change The World, soon to be announced.
Damian, Great to see the 2 bikes side by side, and nice to know your son is impressed with the Versys too. I have to admit the Kawasaki is less than half the price of the GTL and I am sold on the ride quality handling. Plus the quick shifter is amazing so smooth through both up and down shift changes, the sports mode is my fav as it does not give a hard ride but somehow smooths out all the rough roads gives you the confidence to not worry about how rough the road is or dropping into corners. It is both smooth with fantastic handling and no pitching so the suspension is well done. In road mode, it is not as sure-footed although good, I would or maybe use it around town. I know I ride fast and maybe too fast for an old fart but love fast corners and acceleration where you can some of the sweeping roads yesterday felt amazingly great and the bike wanted to give me so much more. Thanks for sharing the photos, it is nice to be able to share something special with your son too. My regular riding buddy just got back from3 weeks in Tassie with his son, they asked me to tag along but being a carer it makes it hard to get away for more than 2 nights so I had to opt-out. The last thing I should add is that if anyone ever told me I would be looking at a bike like this let alone buy one I would have said they were crazy. I was so so wrong it is as good if not better than the GTL for handling and comfort although it does miss out on the top end speeds and fuel range the GTL had.

·
Upside Down
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That’s a fine review of the new Versys 1000. If I were riding solo consistently, I wouldn’t have the K1600 GTL. However, I have never been so impressed at the rock solid feel of riding with my wife at 85 MPH completely loaded with baggage. For us, the comfort and performance of the GTL riding two-up is unparalleled. Congrats on your new ride.
Thanks, it is more of my own opinion than a review as I am no expert in that area. I know the GTL is a great bike and I hope you and your wife have many happy experiences sharing the great bike that the GTL is. I would have kept mine but after 7 months of waiting for parts and the dealership sending the top case back to their painter 3 times and it still was not as it should have been then I still had to wait for another 2 or 3 months before BMW could source the remaining parts due to Covid with no guarantee that Germany could supply anything by then, was the straw that broke me and my decision to move on. I love the GTL after owing 2 but when you can get parts out of Europe etc and you can get Japanese parts almost overnight or within a month that helped me go down this path.

Reactions: onad and RDeweger

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
One of my riding buddies sold his ST1300 after having his V-Strom 1000 for a couple years. He doesn’t miss the Honda at all. Loves his V-Strom and is trying to convince me to go adventure-style. Nice bike Geoff.

·
Boom
702 Posts
Hmmm...Alien green.

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Upside Down
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Reactions: pkpr1998 and XPLSV

·
Registered
Waiting for my K1600 B
196 Posts
Damian, Great to see the 2 bikes side by side, and nice to know your son is impressed with the Versys too. I have to admit the Kawasaki is less than half the price of the GTL and I am sold on the ride quality handling. Plus the quick shifter is amazing so smooth through both up and down shift changes, the sports mode is my fav as it does not give a hard ride but somehow smooths out all the rough roads gives you the confidence to not worry about how rough the road is or dropping into corners. It is both smooth with fantastic handling and no pitching so the suspension is well done. In road mode, it is not as sure-footed although good, I would or maybe use it around town. I know I ride fast and maybe too fast for an old fart but love fast corners and acceleration where you can some of the sweeping roads yesterday felt amazingly great and the bike wanted to give me so much more. Thanks for sharing the photos, it is nice to be able to share something special with your son too. My regular riding buddy just got back from3 weeks in Tassie with his son, they asked me to tag along but being a carer it makes it hard to get away for more than 2 nights so I had to opt-out. The last thing I should add is that if anyone ever told me I would be looking at a bike like this let alone buy one I would have said they were crazy. I was so so wrong it is as good if not better than the GTL for handling and comfort although it does miss out on the top end speeds and fuel range the GTL had.
Hi Geoff
Great to hear your loving it , I dont think you can go wrong with the newer ( lets say Adventure type bikes ) They all seem to be a good riding position and when you get them cracking they are fun to ride in the tight stuff. The sitting up position gives an enjoyable riding experience in the corners.

You didn't ask how im Changing The World. Hidden away in a secret location, I have been involved in Plasmoid Technology. Splitting H2O and sending Plasmoids as a fuel into fossil fuel engines. We currently have fossil fuel engines emitting no CO2, ( dyno and emissions tested and reported ) we are going to baffle modern science. Watch this space, it may stop us having to convert to battery cars and motorbikes

·
Upside Down
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Geoff
Great to hear your loving it , I dont think you can go wrong with the newer ( lets say Adventure type bikes ) They all seem to be a good riding position and when you get them cracking they are fun to ride in the tight stuff. The sitting up position gives an enjoyable riding experience in the corners.

You didn't ask how im Changing The World. Hidden away in a secret location, I have been involved in Plasmoid Technology. Splitting H2O and sending Plasmoids as a fuel into fossil fuel engines. We currently have fossil fuel engines emitting no CO2, ( dyno and emissions tested and reported ) we are going to baffle modern science. Watch this space, it may stop us having to convert to battery cars and motorbikes
Great work Damian, It sounds way out of my depth but interested in what comes of it.

·
Registered
Waiting for my K1600 B
196 Posts
Yes , We all will be interested. We will do a media release in the coming weeks, it was discussed on ABC radio a week back, via a Author Roland Perry, he wrote a book about John Monash.

·
Upside Down
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I remember years ago a local Newcastle guy invented an engine that would save fuel and cost next to nothing to run. Then Shell came along bought all his copyrights etc for a large amount the engine was never made as the oil companies did not want the world to know about it. His name was a leader on motors see the following for info.
Sarich orbital engine.

·
Registered
Waiting for my K1600 B
196 Posts
I remember years ago a local Newcastle guy invented an engine that would save fuel and cost next to nothing to run. Then Shell came along bought all his copyrights etc for a large amount the engine was never made as the oil companies did not want the world to know about it. His name was a leader on motors see the following for info.
Sarich orbital engine.
Yes there has been all different inventions to change the way fossil fuel engines operate. This isn’t changing the mechanics of the conventional engine, it’s assisting the fossil fuel use and giving extra power via Plasmoids from H20.
The whole system is ran via natural earth elements, creating its own energy via captured thunderstorm energy.
It retro fits to existing fossil fuel engines. We have set up 5 different engines , 1 in a Ford falcon car, to do the media release. Test reports ie Dyno and Emission will be provided at release
Note ; l was sceptical at the start just like all might be here, but I’ve been involved in the building of these and attended the testing to see the results.
We are doing final alterations and fine tuning before release.

Note : I have just put it out there so people will be aware, not looking for anything as the invention will have its own journey.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Yes there has been all different inventions to change the way fossil fuel engines operate. This isn’t changing the mechanics of the conventional engine, it’s assisting the fossil fuel use and giving extra power via Plasmoids from H20.
The whole system is ran via natural earth elements, creating its own energy via captured thunderstorm energy.
It retro fits to existing fossil fuel engines. We have set up 5 different engines , 1 in a Ford falcon car, to do the media release. Test reports ie Dyno and Emission will be provided at release
Note ; l was sceptical at the start just like all might be here, but I’ve been involved in the building of these and attended the testing to see the results.
We are doing final alterations and fine tuning before release.

Note : I have just put it out there so people will be aware, not looking for anything as the invention will have its own journey.
Sounds really interesting Damo, look fwd to the release.

·
Upside Down
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
1.5 weeks of ownership I would like to add to the above opinion of what I think about the Kawasaki Versys SE 1000. It would be nice to have a fob rather than a key also a electric screen but then again how often do you really adjust the screen once you find that sweet spot. I am loving the bike more and more and sure once the Top case goes on at the end of next week along with the side panniers at the end of March when they arrive into the country it will tune the bike into an excellent touring bike. So if Kawasaki were to add a key fob with central locking it would be so close to what the GTL was as a great bike. Not complaining as I am loving the power and comfort of this bike at half the price it is hard to justify spending what I have on the BMWs. Funny I found more people willing to wave at me on the Green machine than the BMW and that may be because it was white and they thought I might have been a highway patrol. As for Harley riders, I still struggle to get them to recognize me lol. If I have a fat belly with a black leather vest and flat black open face helmet that could change.:rolleyes::unsure: lol.

·
Upside Down
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Finally got to pick the bike up today with the new front tyre fitted and the Top Case done so all that remains now is the Side Panniers and their inner bags. I still managed to get a short few hours riding in this afternoon to officially have the 1,000 klms done and dusted, not that it was an issue running the bike in regardless. I like the addition of the Top Case and can not wait until I get the side panniers at the end of the month when they arrive from Japan. These photos are nowhere as good as your photos Baz but then I am not out and about the lead is still around my neck here lol. :unsure::(

IMG_0358.jpeg
IMG_0359.jpeg
IMG_0357.jpeg

1 - 20 of 25 Posts