BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got truly out of town on the B. I've put a couple thousand miles on it locally since purchasing in September 2019. Some job changes and the 'Rona have limited my ride time. Locally the bike felt comfortable and storage seemed to be adequate, but I knew I needed to really get our of town to fully validate those thoughts.

My Dad's club was having a camp cleanup this weekend at the property the host their chapter run over Labor Day weekend. They do this in Fort Bragg, CA. I decided that was a great excuse to get out of town. I left the Portland area about noon on Friday. My usual route for that run is I-5 -> 199 -> 101 -> 1 at Leggett. By 2:30 I had to make 3 stops to take work phone calls. I was not making good time and it was freaking hot. I called it a night in Crescent City. Hit the road a little after 6:00am Saturday. Stopped in Garberville for gas and a breakfast burrito and did the last stretch. Made it to camp at 10:30. A beautiful morning.

So how did the K do? Pretty **** great honestly.

Storage -
I used a First Gear dry duffle on the Wunderlich rack for all my camping gear. Everything fit with room to spare. Had one bag loaded with tools, spare gloves, bungee net etc. Other bag had my clothes. This was light travel mode. If I were to take a trip where camping was not in the cards I could load that duffle with enough clothes for a month.

Comfort -
Here is where I may look to make a change. The seat is comfortable, but after about 200 miles I started to get some discomfort on my right side. Also, my shoulders were pretty sore. I'm used to a 12" rise bar on my Road Glide, so this is a different riding position. I'm not going to make any changes yet. I was not in the same riding shape as I have been in years past, but I will start to research seat options. I know RDL is the preferred and they are a half day ride from me. Corbin may be another option. I've had their seats in the past.

Performance -
Out-fricking-standing, but we all know that. The bike ran smooth, quiet and cool the entire ride. The only hiccup was a strange starting issue. Press the start button and it acted like the starter pinion did not engage the ring gear. It happened once Friday night leaving dinner. Again Saturday morning leaving hotel and once more after gassing up in Garberville. Never did it again the rest of the trip. I'll do some searching on this site. I'm sure it's been discussed.

Overall a great first shake down over night run. Can't wait to do more.

Zach

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
You might look at adding a backrest to help with your shoulder pain. I added one (Utopia brand) and don't know how I could live without one now.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts

@pdxroundel, this is a recent discussion that may address your starting issue. Not uncommon if this is it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I finally got truly out of town on the B. I've put a couple thousand miles on it locally since purchasing in September 2019. Some job changes and the 'Rona have limited my ride time. Locally the bike felt comfortable and storage seemed to be adequate, but I knew I needed to really get our of town to fully validate those thoughts.

My Dad's club was having a camp cleanup this weekend at the property the host their chapter run over Labor Day weekend. They do this in Fort Bragg, CA. I decided that was a great excuse to get out of town. I left the Portland area about noon on Friday. My usual route for that run is I-5 -> 199 -> 101 -> 1 at Leggett. By 2:30 I had to make 3 stops to take work phone calls. I was not making good time and it was freaking hot. I called it a night in Crescent City. Hit the road a little after 6:00am Saturday. Stopped in Garberville for gas and a breakfast burrito and did the last stretch. Made it to camp at 10:30. A beautiful morning.

Storage -
I used a First Gear dry duffle on the Wunderlich rack for all my camping gear. Everything fit with room to spare. Had one bag loaded with tools, spare gloves, bungee net etc. Other bag had my clothes. This was light travel mode. If I were to take a trip where camping was not in the cards I could load that duffle with enough clothes for a month.

Comfort -
Here is where I may look to make a change. The seat is comfortable, but after about 200 miles I started to get some discomfort on my right side. Also, my shoulders were pretty sore. I'm used to a 12" rise bar on my Road Glide, so this is a different riding position. I'm not going to make any changes yet. I was not in the same riding shape as I have been in years past, but I will start to research seat options. I know RDL is the preferred and they are a half day ride from me. Corbin may be another option. I've had their seats in the past.

Performance -
Out-fricking-standing, but we all know that. The bike ran smooth, quiet and cool the entire ride. The only hiccup was a strange starting issue. Press the start button and it acted like the starter pinion did not engage the ring gear. It happened once Friday night leaving dinner. Again Saturday morning leaving hotel and once more after gassing up in Garberville. Never did it again the rest of the trip. I'll do some searching on this site. I'm sure it's been discussed.

Zach
This LazyRider bag on rear seat is great for back support. Stays on my B all the time. Good waterproof storage area also !

·
Premium Member
76 Posts

Storage -

Comfort -

Performance -

Zach
I realize that you ride a B but i think my experience on the GTL may apply. My shoulders were aching too after a long day so I installed Helibar risers which raises the bars about an inch and bring them about an inch closer. It’s made a big difference. it looks like there’s version available for the bagger.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I realize that you ride a B but i think my experience on the GTL may apply. My shoulders were aching too after a long day so I installed Helibar risers which raises the bars about an inch and bring them about an inch closer. It’s made a big difference. it looks like there’s version available for the bagger.
I installed the Ilium Works barbacks. Pushes handgrips back about 2” at a diagonal. Very good improvement to reach and riding comfort.

·
Registered
40 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I too came off a Road Glide and experienced strange upper back issues. I solved it with with Helibar risers. The stock seat was fine until about the 150 mile mark. After much research, I went to Rich's Custon Seats up in Seattle area (Kingston). There you will get a pure custom seat for your particular needs. RDL seats have a great reputation for comfort. I just could not go with the tractor look. So, just a personal decision.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
I've got nothing for you on the comfort as my bike seems to fit me just fine but I'm glad to hear about overnighters on the B. I tend to pack really light so the storage works for me and with some sort of duffel it's perfect.

Good luck with getting more comfortable and I look forward to hearing more ride stories!

james

·
Registered
3 Posts
Another recommendation for Helibar risers. I bought the GA used (1100 miles) a month ago and my hands and shoulders really started bothering me and I couldn't see the bottom of the display due to the handlebar crossbar. I was wondering WTH and why the bars were set so high. When I took it in for my transmission recall last week, they asked me why I had set them so high. The previous owner only had it for a year and traded it on a new H-D. I assume he might have been used to mini-apes on a previous H-D and so he rotated them up...

I adjusted them down and that helped and the Helibar risers made it even better!

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Registered
27 Posts
Adding another thumbs up for the Helibars risers for the B, solved my shoulder blade pain on the first ride.

AND, I would suggest not buying a new seat until you have new risers if you go that route. Why? Because in my case, I naturally moved into a better spot on the seat once I got the risers; so I’m liking the stock seat (whereas before I got the risers the stock seat wasn’t working for me).

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will definitely take the changes one step at a time. I've got a message in to a member selling a set of Helibar risers already. Hoping he responds and I can get those bought.

Zach

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
That blue looks great.

Zach
I agree one of the best colours for that bike to make it stand out against all the black ones lol Looks classy in Blue I also love the new Grey on the 2020 models.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
pdxroundel, Back in 2016 I bought a new R1200RT and loved it except the sore shoulders and neck pain. My solution was to but the Ilium Work Pull back as per my photo below. It gave me enough pull back and lift off the bars to relieve any pain and that issue.
IMG_0782.jpeg

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
I bought a new R1200RT and loved it except the sore shoulders and neck pain. My solution was to but the Ilium Work Pull back as per my photo below. It gave me enough pull back and lift off the bars to relieve any pain and that issue.
Why I sold my RT - risers didn't help but a new K motorcycle did.:)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts