BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Upside Down
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This morning I started out on my first ride to get some klms. on the Kawasaki before I have to do the first service at 1,000 klms or next week.
I did about 3/4 of the required klms a total of 643.klms starting out in the rain very light, to be honest before getting on the bike I used the Rideology app to tune the suspension settings, etc.I chose sport and one rider as it suits my riding style although with new tyres and wet roads I made sure I took it easy in the bends and corners until I got around 160 klms on them. The bike surprised me it handled really well almost floated over the rough roads. the first 150 klms took me over some nice winding roads with a few long straights to wind the bike out a bit. I did get stuck behind about 30 Army trucks in convoy while having the drivers under instruction. It got a bit frustrating as they were sitting at 50 klmhp in a 90 klm zone. So whenever I had a good clear view I overtook as many as I could before arriving in Glouster to top the bike up with fuel. to this stage, the motor was smooth enough torque to put a smile on my ace. then after going through this wonderful Hunter Valley town known for its dairy cattle mostly. I started the climb up towards Walcha via Thunderbolts way. Lots of twisty roads with long sweeping bends and some sharp right and left turns all the way up to the lookout about 80 klms out of Glouster. The bike loved being revved and being thrown into the corners. I kept the rpms around 4,000 although it should have been varied up and down the rev range a bit more. The engine braking helped with slowing up on some of the sharper wet sections. I have done this road so many times and up till today never been able to look out for the lookout but this time I managed to get photos. There was a guy on Suzuki doing the same as me and running in his bike. after chatting to him I started off only to see to detectives stop for a break so had a little chat with them and it turned out I knew one from my past connections with the police. taking off towards Walcha and approx 80% of the ride I paused took some photos of a Historic house just outside of Walcha before going through the township heading westward toward Tamworth for a coffee. The roads from there come long and fast with nice tight corners and sweeping bends. The Kawasaki loved it, the short shifter was amazing compared to the BMW the bike felt so sure-footed it gave me a lot of confidence to push it harder. At Tamworth our country music town I changed the settings from Sports to Road to see if there was any real difference. I have to say for me I prefer the Sports mode and the road mode was a bit dull and the suspension felt spongy in some of the bends with the rear end sort of wallowing a little in the corners. With any rough section, it did not seem to soak up the bumps like it did in the sports mode. by now I was about 3/4 of the way through the ride and the average temps were around mid '30s c the engine was getting hot and my calves were feeling it. So the million-dollar question would be. Do I regret selling the GTL and buying this? Two different bikes but both touring and The Kawasaki felt more sporty but as comfortable as the GTL so in the ideal world I would love to have both bikes as each has its own appeal and character, Both bikes handle exceptional and have the ability to stretch their legs to the fullest. I would think that the BMW would win on fuel consumption even at the higher speeds I was doing today. Comfort might go a tad towards the Kawasaki although with the last 160 klms My arse was getting the famous numb bum feeling and I was looking forward to getting home to have a coffee before washing the bike and putting it to bed.. Some photos below of today's ride. Nothing too exciting but some of the best bike roads in the central, west, and mid-NSW area.One of the photos is of the old pub in Walcha bought by 2 guys who are bike enthusiasts it is very popular with bikers.
IMG_0291.jpeg
IMG_0289.jpeg
IMG_0287.jpeg
IMG_0286.jpeg
IMG_0285.jpeg
IMG_0284.jpeg
IMG_0282.jpeg
IMG_0279.jpeg
IMG_0278.jpeg
IMG_0275.jpeg

·
Registered
96 Posts
Looks like some fun roads you have. I'm in the flat lands of the midwestern USA. I have to ride almost four hours to get to any hills. As far as twisties, there is some that are close by that run along a couple rivers, though fun, not really any long distances. About half of the time I get on those roads, there is always some car going 15 to 20 below the speed limit.

·
Upside Down
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1 - 4 of 4 Posts