BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally took the 18 out on a ride that was more than around the block. I want to get the Bren tune done, so I took it to the dealer for an update. This morning, it was about 33F when I set out. I wore my Gerbing Cascade Extreme jacket and pants, and Gerbing gloves. My left foot won't fit in my boot with the Gerbing socks just yet. I bought a Gerbing extension cable with a 90 degree plug on it. It probably needs to go back because it fits in the port way too loosely. It fell out within 10 minutes. The plug on the controller fits nice and snug, so it's not the port. Bike was comfortable all the way up. Took me a while to get relaxed on the undivided roads, and riding in the city of Raleigh was a bit un-nerving. Hopefully my comfort improves as time goes on. I'm still a little flinchy. I got startled by my RKA rack bag when I looked back before changing lanes. It ends up in my peripheral vision and looked like a large vehicle was coming up on me fast. I need to check out the brake pads. I thought I heard a slight squeal when stopping. Otherwise, the bike is good. On the way home, I noticed a Corvette behind me. Dude was on my tail, so I cranked it up to about 80 on the county road. He kept up with me. I hadn't seen him around that area - about 3 miles from home. I figured he didn't know the roads, so once I got to a point where I had a decent line of sight, I opened the throttle. At 103, I noticed the Vette was in the distance, and brought it back down. As I rolled to a stop at the sign near my house, he pulled up next to me. Tuned out to be my riding buddy and his neighbor. I said, "I was who this f***er was behind me." He started laughing, came over and checked out the bike.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Sounds like a good start. I had a bad bicycle accident back in high school and I'm lucky I didn't end up with some serious brain injury. Once the bones healed and the spiking pain slowly went away over the course of the next year or so, I was still jumpy on bikes for years. Took a motorcycle to get me over it. I have had a couple of instances of being spooked by something I loaded into the rear of a pickup bed! Also something very similar to your experience when I put a large bag on the top luggage rack on my Goldwing the first time....took me hundreds of miles to finally being able to ignore that thing!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts