BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

If you own a motorcycle, you are a target for motorcycle theft—and it doesn't matter how fancy or filthy it is. Obviously, big-buck cruisers like Harley-Davidsons and tricked-out $15,000 sportbikes are tasty treats for thieves, but vehicle theft is sometimes a crime of opportunity, so here's five ways to keep your bike safe, no matter what it is.

Motorcycle thieves, although usually not great at career planning, are very clever, practiced and good at what they do. That means they can work incredibly fast, defeating multiple security systems and locks in minutes or even seconds. Their strongest weapon is speed, so your best defense is to make it as complicated as possible to get your bike, so they'll look for an easier target.
Read more about the Five Ways to Keep Your Motorcycle from Being Stolen.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
when me and my buddy did a four corners USA tour back in 2015, we stayed on military bases when we could get rooms - being retired USAF comes in handy

·
Premium Member
2,380 Posts
Five Ways to Keep Your Motorcycle from Being Stolen!!

Good article. It helps to park where you can easily see your ride. Consider making sure all items that can easly be removed are taken indoors with you. We park in the open on the center stand, arm/ lock the bike, cover and have a GPS burried deep inside the bike that is not connected to the battery. Best,

Doc:tb:tb

·
Premium Member
389 Posts

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Does her mom have a sister?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Or carry a couple of guard dogs in your saddle bags, pop the latches when you walk away. Voila!

I used to drive around in a Jeep CJ in Texas when I was younger and had a Doberman that would lay down behind the front seats...you couldn't see him until you got right up on the side, then he would stand up...seen some pretty funny reactions over the years. I could have left a bag of money in there and it would have still been there when I got back...loved that dog

·
Registered
333 Posts
I saw these down your way, up on Lemon Mt. outside Tucson...that is an M4 mounted on the rear...I need one of these:wink:
Yes, that would deter them from stealing your bike, and focus their attention on just stealing the M4. :grin:

·
Registered
58 Posts
The bike cops in Prescott, AZ have a great side mount below the throttle on their bikes. Quick access and looks really cool. Got me thinking of a few ways to mount a toy or two.

·
Outta This World
2,014 Posts
5 different ways to keep your bike from being stolen (why does the original link go to ebay)

To make your bike less attractive to being stolen (nothing will stop them if they truly want it)

1. Put a flashing red LED somewhere prominent on your bike. Thieves are lazy, and look for low risk opportunities. (I have a friend that does this)
  2. Bring a phony camera on a magnetic mount, a stick, and park next to a light standard. Put the phony camera on the light standard using the stick and magnetic mount (ditto, friend did this in the garage where he parks)
  3. Carry a bottle of used oil, squirt it directly under your bike where you park and a little on the engine casing to add the 'drip effect
  4. Carry a bottle of Skunk scent, spray the ground directly around your bike but make sure you don't actually get any on your bike.
  5. Put it under a harley cover, but make sure you have a hells angels patch in a prominent place. HDs are everywhere and the thief will look for one that is less risky
  6. Cover up the BMW emblems with Moto Guzzi emblems. Nobody wants that repair hassle.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Unfortunately any bike can be stolen in about 10 seconds. 4 people 2 2x4's and a pickup truck. GONE.............
A tracking device hooked up to the OBDII port might help recovery but a motion sensor alarm seems to be the best deterrent and our BMW's have that built in.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts