BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
1. Have you ever had a flat front tire during your years of travel?
2. Have you ever had a flat rear tire during your years of travel?
3. How many miles have you travelled over the years? (i.e. you get one flat about every X thousand miles)
4. Do you carry equipment to repair the flat?
5. If carry equipment, besides a kit to plug the hole, do you refill the tire with an air pump or CO2 cartridges?
6. If you don't carry equipment to repair the flat, how does the flat get fixed?
I never had a flat tire on my k1600gt, but, i have a gas bottle in top case..184k km.

·
Registered
7 Posts
About 300,000 miles.on various bikes. I have had 3 tire issues, all on the same bike. 1 flat tire, 1 tire with a nail in the bottom of it and 1 tire with a nail that went in the side and came out the side. The flat tire was from a new factory tire with about 2500 miles on it. The bike started vibrating and upon stopping to investigate i found a huge bulge on the rear tire. I was also pulling a bunkhouse camper, i tried to limp (In Montana) to the nearest town with a motorcycle shop but the tire blew about 20 miles away, I had insurance that included towing and the bike and camper got hauled into town where it was replaced 1st thing next morning. With 600 miles on the new tire i found a nail in it, the nail in the tire occurred on a trip to Lake Itasca, i came out of a gas station to find a group of riders standing around my bike looking at it and one of them pointed out the nail in my front tire. it was a large 16 penny nail, but the tire was not losing air. I rode it home checking it often. Upon removal i found i could feel the nail through the inside, I replaced the tire. The replacement tire for that one had less than 1000 miles on it and started to run low and the bikes monitor warned me. I examined the tire and found the nail. I was only 40 miles from home, i rode it there removed the tire and patched the inside and rode it till it wore out. 3 new tires in less than 4500 miles on the same bike in 1 season. That was an expensive summer. Since then i do carry tire plugs and an air compressor on longer trips.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I’ve had 1 flat tire on the road in 50 years. That being said, it was an eye opener, 70+ on I 35 in Missouri 2 up and loaded.
Heard something rattle off my exhaust system on my LT. It went through the sidewall and the ride of my life was on. Stayed up and got to the right shoulder.
Yes I carry a tubeless tire repair kit with an air compressor.

·
Premium Member
2012 K1600GTL
288 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
9000 Mi.
1. One front flat on my cb750 back in the '80s.
2. About 5 rear punctures, 4 on my kbike.
3. 200,000 total miles riden.
4. Yes, carry Slime plugs and a Slime 12v pump. Carry an ice pick to clean out the hole. And water for me until a cold beer is available.
5. MOA roadside, and have used it only once when a rock punched right thru the carcass. In this case, MOA paid for towing and all but 10 dollars of the cost of new tire at Sandy UT BMW.

·
Registered
35 Posts
2014 GT bought new. 90K miles. 6 flat rear tires. 0 flat front. Gummy worms and air compressor. Suspect hidden magnet on bike.
2022 GT bought last month. 1K miles. 1 flat rear. 0 flat front. Suspect aliens moved magnet to the new bike.
All tires replaced under MOA tire hazard insurance. Luckily (?) nails seem to prefer new tires.
I avoid pulling off on the shoulder of the road to reduce the chance of picking up sharp objects. However on tire 6 I had pulled over for a system warning light. After checking the manual for an indication of what the warning light was telling me I pulled back onto the road to be greeted with the low pressure warning on the rear tire. Of course it was a Sunday afternoon. (Bad coil and flat tire.)

41 - 46 of 46 Posts