BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having spent the last hour and half in the pouring rain, riding between cars at around 10mph and keep having to dab my feet on the ground as I can't transfer enough weight to the pegs for stability, has anyone recently added a lowering kit for a 2012 GTL. I read through this post > Peg Lowering Options and Opinions but not current, especially something that I can get in the UK that doesn't excite the UK postal service with import charges

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had a set from Hornig on my 1300 GT, as I believe it will fit the 1600 as well, but haven't put them on. Previous I had a set from MV Motorrad on my RS Boxer, which was also good, and Wunderlich also has a nice set for the K. Postage from Germany is cheap, and no import charges for now...

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
There is an issue with the Suburban Machinery foot peg lowering kit. If the bike ever goes over and his the ground, your foot peg will break at the mounting point. I've had this happen to me, and the folks at MAXBMW Troy NY (where I got a replacement) explained that the lowering kit (not sure if it's just the Suburban or if it's every one on the market) doesn't allow the foot peg to fold up and get out of the way. The foot peg does fold and move with the same range of motion as when it's mounted to the bike, it's just lower and more forward. Now for the good news, their relocation kit makes the ergonomics far more comfortable for me. I rarely ride hard enough to scrap the pegs so that's not an issue. If there's a better alternative I'm open to changing as it's about 150$ to replace the peg any time the bike goes over, even at a dead stop. In all fairness I never contacted Suburban about this.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Regarding tip-over with the Suburban Machinery footpeg lowering kit.... I have the Suburban lowering kits on both my K1600 and R1200 bikes and have dropped both bikes without any damage whatsoever to the footpegs. (Wish I could say the same about the Tupperware.) My K1600 does have the BMW engine protection guards which prevent damage to the lower part of the bike. The footpeg lowering kit plus a custom RDL seat solved my discomfort issue on both bikes. I recommend both.
Ken

·
Premium Member
6,409 Posts
FWIW, I installed the suburban machine kit when I first got the K bike. After one spirited ride on curvy roads I took them off; I was dragging the pegs in almost every corner. Sold them on eBay. Another local forum member ran a set until we started riding together. When he stepped up his game he too had remove them.

Duane

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Duane I look forward to riding with you some day. However I think I can safely say that our riding styles are different. I rarely push the bike that hard, and my desired primary use of the GTL is as a tourer. Does this mean that you don't tour, of course not! I wouldn't presume anything like that. However I do an awful lot of interstate droning and the GTL does that as well. But only since I put on handlebar relocation and foot peg relocations kits, as well as my RDL, ZTech screen and aero flow wing/mini wings.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I settled for the MV product, brought direct from Germany, saving a 100 Euros and import duties, well made and no issues, i packed the gaps between pegs and units with copper washers, rather than the steel ones that were there already.
Brake side comes with a clamp over unit, that fits on the brake leaver and against the body stop, so lowering the lever. I removed the brake pedal to master cylinder adjustable arm, and took 1/4 inch off the hardened screw thread to allow it to shorten without rubbing against the pedal
On the gear change side, under the gearbox cover a simple disconnect and turn ONE spline only drops the pedal, point of caution is that the lower position can impact the rod against the side stand pivot point so you need to be aware of that, and shorten the rod, loosen the 10 mm nuts, lower has left hand thread.

I don't think other adjustments will be required, time will tell

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
I had a set from Hornig on my 1300 GT, as I believe it will fit the 1600 as well, but haven't put them on. Previous I had a set from MV Motorrad on my RS Boxer, which was also good, and Wunderlich also has a nice set for the K. Postage from Germany is cheap, and no import charges for now...
I got a Verholen set from Hornig for my K1200S (and am very happy with Hornig), and it turns out me having them delivered to my office instead of home got them investigated by the German postal service. I got an email from their postal service, and I thought it HAD to be spam, so ignored it, and then got a communication from the US Postal Service on behalf of the Germans.

So apparently, it's not just the UK that can get excited over stuff coming IN, the Germans can get excited over what's LEAVING.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The kit OP bought and linked ppears to be the exact same kit as the one sold here in the US as Verholen for about $250 US: Footpeg Lowering Kit by Verholen (Rider), K1600GT/GTL | Bob's BMW

Again, I only have one on my K12, but it is EXTREMELY well made, and I've been very happy with it, so I hope you will be, too, @Mole999.
Buying from Germany direct, puts the cost at $165, if I had fallen for buying via US, I would have usually been hit with import duties in the range of 40-60GBP $46 Plus

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Buying from Germany direct, puts the cost at $165, if I had fallen for buying via US, I would have usually been hit with import duties in the range of 40-60GBP $46 Plus
Oh, don't get me wrong; I wasn't in the least suggesting that you made the wrong decision. If you're in Europe, more often than not, if you have a European option for the same product, it'll be the best one. I was just throwing out there that if you're in the U.S., the same kit goes by Verholen, and is widely available here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts