BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
While I am a huge fan of the internal combustion engine, I think that electricity will be used primarily for electric cars, as opposed to generating hydrogen for piston engines. Storage problems and loss of efficiency in the conversion seem to point that way. And I really, really hope I am wrong. Long live the inline six.

·
Premium Member
2,147 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
While I am a huge fan of the internal combustion engine, I think that electricity will be used primarily for electric cars, as opposed to generating hydrogen for piston engines. Storage problems and loss of efficiency in the conversion seem to point that way. And I really, really hope I am wrong. Long live the inline six.
I'm with you on the combustion engine. And it looks like battery power is the popular choice. But nuclear produced hydrogen is a much better solution for the ecosystem than battery powered electric cars. We homosapiens seem to be a short sighted bunch.

·
Registered
367 Posts
After reading the Truckers Choose Hydrogen article, I have to admit being skeptical. This is still a diesel engine with injection of hydrogen. The hydrogen is produced by electricity from the alternator, which is maybe 25% efficient in the conversion of diesel fuel to electricity. Physics promises no free lunch.
I like the idea of a pure hydrogen piston engine, but wonder about potential problems. How do you handle ring blow-by? That's a lot of water vapor entering the crankcase. Will the oil look like milk after 500 miles? How about a vacuum pump for the crankcase. It would consume even more energy, but might remove the water vapor and reduce pumping losses at the same time. Fun to think about this stuff, and I freely admit to being a science nerd.

·
Premium Member
2,147 Posts
After reading the Truckers Choose Hydrogen article, I have to admit being skeptical. This is still a diesel engine with injection of hydrogen. The hydrogen is produced by electricity from the alternator, which is maybe 25% efficient in the conversion of diesel fuel to electricity. Physics promises no free lunch.
I like the idea of a pure hydrogen piston engine, but wonder about potential problems. How do you handle ring blow-by? That's a lot of water vapor entering the crankcase. Will the oil look like milk after 500 miles? How about a vacuum pump for the crankcase. It would consume even more energy, but might remove the water vapor and reduce pumping losses at the same time. Fun to think about this stuff, and I freely admit to being a science nerd.
...and all that does not even stop to consider what will happen to all that extra water being created!! What is to happen to the sea levels when all that water hits the coastline?

:eek:

·
Registered
56 Posts
While Hydrogen has it's many advantages, the one big problem if it can be made for a reasonable cost is the fact it will ignite through velocity, that volatility makes for a great energy source, not so great if the hose your using to refill your tank gets a pinhole leak.

·
Registered
461 Posts
...and all that does not even stop to consider what will happen to all that extra water being created!! What is to happen to the sea levels when all that water hits the coastline?

:eek:
?

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
I'm with you on the combustion engine. And it looks like battery power is the popular choice. But nuclear produced hydrogen is a much better solution for the ecosystem than battery powered electric cars. We homosapiens seem to be a short sighted bunch.
Spot-on. We seem to be an overly "feelings" based species, rather than results or logic based. Many folks, if they could save the kid standing in front of them, and in so doing would kill 1,000 kids on the other side of the world, they'd do it, because it would feel good to see the kid saved in front of them, other kids be damned. In like manner, if they could "help" the kid in front of them today, by doing something that would kill him dead as a doornail in 10 years, many would do that, too, because hey, I felt good getting a hug from a kid I helped, and his momma, and then it got put up on facebook, and I got to feel like I was a really good altruistic person. Which expresses the related point that a lot of me doing stuff to help others often has way too much to do with me selfishly feeling good about myself for being a helpful person than the focus being on others, where it belongs.

Here, one picture of people dying from radiation post-Chernobyl has so many feelings attached to it, you can't say squat about facts or science. You go out there on the innerwebs and argue to the environmentalists that you like the environment, too, and nuclear hydrogen is better for the environment long term than batteries? You'll be called a fool and president of the tinfoil hat and flat-earth societies at best, and at worst, they'll claim that you want babies to die of radiation sickness. Ask me how I know.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
The Germans were way ahead of everyone...google "LZ-129 Hindenburg"
Gasoline tends to blow up, too. And very few people actually died in the Hindenburg disaster, considering. Most escaped as the gas just flashed over and quickly burned up the skin, and they fell to the ground out of the ship.

WE had a non-hydrogen, helium airship crash that killed many more people, the USS Akron (ZRS-4). This all goes with my emotion argument, because anytime anyone of "a certain age" mentions using nuclear hydrogen, the first thought isn't necessarily Three Mile Island or Chernobyl, but the "hydrogen" part, and a guy whose voice was overly sped up when they synced it to the video, crying "OH, THE HUMANITY!," as the Hindenburg burned.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
That'll do it.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Shoulda saved that handy-dandy portable fusion device for April 1st. It’s right around the corner.?

In all seriousness, I have no doubt they’ll figure fusion out some day, but I imagine we‘ll all be long dead before it happens.

Still, if someone figures it out tomorrow, I’ll happily be wrong. Who wouldn’t want to run their vehicles on water? OK, a very few hippies might not, but it won’t be many. Once we have it, game over and no debate.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts