I dunno, I hear that bike just eats up tires... :D

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Ceramic bearings, huh? Interesting.

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
If I remember correctly, Carl didn't start the NY-LA run with new tires, so he had to find a replacement rear tire somewhere in the middle of his run.

On the 24-hour record, he burned through all his tires before his time was up, and stopped riding with just over an hour remaining. He also had to make several pit stops to change out tires.

Impressive feats to be sure, but it does make me wonder what one could do with a fresh Darkside setup, and enough stamina to not need to stop at all... :k16:

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
If I remember correctly, Carl didn't start the NY-LA run with new tires, so he had to find a tire somewhere in the middle of his run.

On the 24-hour record, he burned through all his tires before his time was up, and stopped riding with just over an hour remaining. He also had to make several pit stops to change out tires.

Impressive feats to be sure, but it does make me wonder what one could do with a fresh Darkside setup, and enough stamina to not need to stop at all... :k16:
Right. I think one of those stops was at an HD dealer because that was all they could find in the area.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
587 Posts
This is not new and they have been trying to sell it for a while now, the fact that there is so little sent to charity would make it a hard sell, to begin with.
When there was a price on it instead of an auction, it was a ridiculously high number.
Unless they change the nature of the auction so there are is a reserve and his costs are covered then anything over reserve is donated outright to the charity; I don't see how this is going to be a fair deal for anyone.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
This is not new and they have been trying to sell it for a while now, the fact that there is so little sent to charity would make it a hard sell, to begin with.

When there was a price on it instead of an auction, it was a ridiculously high number.

Unless they change the nature of the auction so there are is a reserve and his costs are covered then anything over reserve is donated outright to the charity; I don't see how this is going to be a fair deal for anyone.
Speaking on behalf of "the charity," we appreciate all the attention Carl has brought to our program and are thankful for whatever we get from the sale of the bike

www.motorelief.org

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
I think it's a fine charity that does good work, and deserves widespread support.

I just hate to see these sorts of "charity" fundraisers where the fundraiser organizers profit at the expense of the charity itself. Donate the bike, and let 100% of the proceeds go to the charity.

Maybe a deep-pocket organization like the Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum could pick this one up and make a decently sized donation, but this one seems a bit out of reach for the average rider.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts