BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I am sitting still in N, clutch not engaged, and then go into 1st gear, it makes a clunking sound. Is there a way to do this smoothly without the clunking sound.

If I am slowing down to a stop and keep the clutch in and the bike is in N, moving to first is smooth and without any sound.

Is there anything I can do to shift more smoothly?

·
Registered
705 Posts
My GT works the same way, as did virtually all of my previous rides, so I just consider it positive feedback that an action has occurred...

In N when stopped, the engine is disconnected from the running gear, right? Engage a gear from this condition and the moving parts in the transmission must spin up to accomplish the action, correct? Just thinking out loud...

·
Premium Member
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The reason that I'm concerned is that occasionally it will slip into gear without the clunking sound. I don't think that I'm doing anything differently though.

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Wait for a few minutes with the clutch pulled in. No clunk. Of course, even if it did clunk, you wouldn't hear it over all the horns and yelling behind you while you wait. :p

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think its designed that way so when downshifting you know when your in 1st. I also think you can minimize the "clunk" if the RPMs are close to the gear box speed.
Actually I think thats the problem several of the reviewers are complaining about that the transmission is clunky. I have noticed if your RPM's are not synchronized when you shift you get this bang. This was happening to me but as I get more time on it I am able to adjust the engine speed to match the transmission speed and its much much smoother. On my Versys if you down shift the clutch would force the engine to match its speed, on this bike the engine is much bigger and it resists going any faster or slower then the throttle says to go.

This is an awesome bike!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
17,037 Posts
This is my 3rd BMW. They all let me know that I am shifting into 1st with a clunk. My KTMs did the same.

It seems that people come with expectations based on their previous experiences. Coming from a dirt bike orientation, I have no problem with any transmission letting me know that it has achieved positive gear engagement. :gm

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
Dan,

I think most of it is due to the wet clutch and drive gears. My two dry clutch Beemers, RT and LT always shifted smoothly and quietly into first. The LT was a very quiet transmission while the RT always had that distinctive Getrag clack when shifting gears. But, N to 1 was, and is, quiet. Now on my 13GT and the GTL, the N to 1 is quite a head turner to say the least. It seems that no matter how long I hold the clutch in, and no matter how many green-yellow-red traffic light cycles I sit through I cannot get a quiet shift into 1st. If I'm rolling, yes, it slips smoothly from 2 to 1. The only time I can get a pleasant N to 1 shift is when I first start the engine and drive out of my garage for the first ride of the day. Other than that, I just issue ear plugs to anyone standing in the viciinity.

·
Registered
626 Posts
OK - Just wanted to make sure that it wasen't me and that it was normal. Guess it doesen't hurt the transmission.

Thanks....
I have never ever had or tested bikes that don't "clunk" into 1'st from N. This is absolutely normal within the fact how a wet transmition clutch type gearbox functions. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
My FJR,s were the same, and a mechanic told me to pull in the clutch, blip the throttle ( which helps the clutch disengage and helps to stop drag ) then engage first gear. i have to say it made a huge difference to the change into first from neutral on the FJR.

·
Super Moderator
17,037 Posts
My FJR,s were the same, and a mechanic told me to pull in the clutch, blip the throttle ( which helps the clutch disengage and helps to stop drag ) then engage first gear.
Farm trucks I drove required the old world double-clutch to shift smoothly. Is that what you are suggesting?

I like the solid BMW clunk into 1st gear, and the pulse in the clutch lever shifting between the gears. Reassuring. Maybe that's just me though. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I pull the clutch a few seconds before shifting into first. Press the gear lever slowly - this way I usually get a silent shift, or a quiet click. It takes time to get used to it though.
BJ

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Farm trucks I drove required the old world double-clutch to shift smoothly. Is that what you are suggesting?

I like the solid BMW clunk into 1st gear, and the pulse in the clutch lever shifting between the gears. Reassuring. Maybe that's just me though. ;)
Double clutching requires two actuations of the clutch -- he's just pulling in the clutch and holding it in while "throttle blipping" is going on.

·
Premium Member
6,629 Posts
Yes, you can prevent the clunking when going from N to 1st gear 100% of the time:
1. Stop motorcycle
2. Shift to Neutral either before or after stopping
3. Turn Off motor by pushing Kill Button
4. With Clutch pulled in, put transmission into 1st Gear
5. Restart Motor

Duane

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I’ve had 3 RTs and 2 K1600 and all from 2005 to present. They all clunk going into 1sr gear. I’ve also had many other bikes of a different make and found one yet that doesn’t make some noise when you shift into 1st gear. Nobody hears it but you.?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
All my K bikes from the 1985 RT to 2011 GT have slammed into first on most occasions. Helps you know that your in gear. Even my 08 GSA does it. It?s a bmw thing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts