BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Super Moderator
K1600GA
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was the first good day I had to do preflight. The bike has been on its center stand since middle December. When I brought the bike off the stand and rolled it out of the garage, a little bit of shock fluid followed me out. There on the garage floor was a small line of disconnected drips.

OK. The bike is not under warranty, but I can still buy it outright. The Wilber shock is a good option. The cost of a repair and the cost of the warranty is close, so I get to make a judgment call.

Should I get the warranty then claim the failure? Should I eat the price of OEM replacements? Should I just upgrade? Should I ignore it because it is only a couple of drips and it may reseal itself? $1800 is not what I wanted to spend.

· Premium Member
853 Posts
I’d upgrade to Wilbers. I think the OEM replacements are only warranted for one year, IIRC. Both of mine failed simultaneously in the first 50 miles of new ownership. If they failed now, I’d go with Wilbers.

· Premium Member
2018 K1600GT Opt 719 Blue Planet Metallic
3,854 Posts
Just for reference, I just spent $1132 with my local dealer to extend my warranty 4 years. $100 deductible everywhere else, $0 at same dealer. If shock was not covered, I’d go Wilbers based upon favorable reviews.

· Super Moderator
K1600GA
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just spoke with Ted Porter; his Tractive replacement for the front is $899 in stock.

I asked a lot of questions and each was answered fully. Thanks, Ted. Our bikes comes stock with Marzocchi shocks. I am told that is the problem and that any OEM replacement will also fail in about 30K miles.

I asked specifically about the possibility that the seal was cold and once warmed, would it reseat; the answer is it depends. I am going got ride tomorrow on some bad roads to see how much more oil I lose.

· Premium Member
10,122 Posts
@djfalkenstein , what Ted Porter told you about OEM shocks starting to fail at 30K miles is correct. What he didn't tell you is that ALL motorcycle shocks begin to fail at about 30k miles. By 40k miles all motorcycle shocks need to be replaced/rebuilt.

$900 for a single shock seems a bit high to me. My local dealer, Morton's BMW, will do a Wilber conversion, all-in, for $1800 (parts/labor/tax).

Duane

Reactions: jamesg68

· Super Moderator
K1600GA
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I get any aftermarket part is better than these OEM. Between Wilbers and Tentive, is there a driver of choice, one over the other? I ride as you do.

· Premium Member
10,122 Posts
@djfalkenstein , I can't comment on Tractive shocks, I know nothing about them. Tractive is relatively new to the K1600 game. Wilbers have been available since 2012.

Duane

· Super Moderator
K1600GA
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Prince posits that all of these failures are due to cold storage. Ok. I can see how temperature can conceivably be the root cause; but that mean these parts are not fit for purpose. This vehicle should not be sensitive to normally cold environs.
I wonder if I should store the bike under a heated blanket?

· Registered
245 Posts
I've been following the other thread on leaking front shocks for a week and it motivated me to go check my 2018 GA which I bought last May. I don't see any leakage but I don't have anywhere near that many miles and haven't moved the bike either and it is in an unheated garage. I really hope this isn't a problem on mine since I am not able to heat the garage and I don't want/need a bike that needs to be kept warm...

FWIW - This could be a big problem for me because I haven't had any significant shock leakage on ANY of my bikes over the years and they all successfully existed in my unheated Maine garage and shed. WTH! Do I need to keep an electric blanket on it?!?

· Super Moderator
K1600GA
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One man's opinion is that BMW bought the cheapest possible part.

Reactions: d04011

· Registered
245 Posts
"Cheap" only until you have to replace it... :(

Reactions: [email protected]

· Where is My New Bike?
494 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I moved my bike around in my garage, first taking it off the center stand. My garage is unheated and it was really cold outside. Almost immediately I noticed fluid dripping from my front shock. I have about 44 K Kms on it (about 27 K miles). However, unlike you, I still have the basic warranty in place and it was fully covered. Coincidentally, the exact same thing happened to a friend of mine a week earlier. He has the B, same year and about the same mileage. Seems our front shock is not well made.

I think if I were in your shoes I would bite the bullet and get the Wilbers.

· Registered
480 Posts
I have Wilbers on my '13 K1600 - they went on at ~22K miles when the rear OEM failed, and I had them rebuilt at ~50K miles. I've been very happy with them.

Last I knew, Wilbers were not available for Dynamic ESA. Did BMW move from ESA II to Dynamic ESA on the K1600? If so, you may need Tractive rather than Wilbers, depending on the model year of your bike. My XR is getting a Tractive front cartridge this week - Tractive is the team that developed ESA for BMW...

· KBiK
2015 K1600GTS
2,374 Posts
Still riding on the same shocks after over 100K miles on KBiK

Reactions: k1610dah and J-Luv
1 - 20 of 41 Posts