BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Soupa Mod
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this set of All Balls a few years ago. They are a well traveled set having been across most of the continent in my side bag.

@Gunnert mentioned he always has to add a bit of grease to new wheel bearings.

I am getting ready to install this set in my K bike and thought I would check the grease. Btw, Duane has graciously offered to install my set in May but being a DIY'er I thought I would try myself first.

It looks to my uneducated eyes there is enough grease in these bearings. Agreed?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,370 Posts
After seeing these wheel bearing threads for months I finally replaced my original front bearings that had 42,000 miles with a new set of Timkin bearings. I have to say the originals looked fine and felt smooth. I added a little more grease and put them on the shelf for an emergency.

Several years ago, between my brother Kevin and I, we made up 3 sets of bearing install tools (he also made my bearing removal tool). Steve was the recipient of the 3rd set. He's an electrician so he benefits from Kevin and my machining abilities. This was the first time I was able to use the install tool and it worked slick. I did put the bearings in the freezer for about an hour and slightly heated the hub with a torch for about 30 seconds. The install tool pulled the bearings in nice and straight.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
There's no reason to add grease to sealed bearings. They come pre greased and the wheel seldom reaches 1000 rpm.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
I do love this forum. There is always somebody to tell you that you have done something wrong.

I guess it makes them feel better about themselves.

·
Mr.Fix It
7,082 Posts
There's no reason to add grease to sealed bearings. They come pre greased and the wheel seldom reaches 1000 rpm.
I disagree. Before installing new bearings I always pop the seals and inspect. Almost ALL have very little grease in them. I add about pencil eraser size blob in 3 places on new bearings and then reinstall the seals.

Duane

Reactions: BMWGuy

·
Premium Member
6,370 Posts
Having removed them by the inner race, I'd never want to reuse them.
I tend to agree that's why I set them aside and installed new ones. I guess I keep them because that's what my Dad would do. I'm sure I'll never install them again.

Reactions: ickyoldman
1 - 9 of 9 Posts