BMW K1600 Forum banner

front wheel removal on centerstand

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  steve59 
#1 ·
Yes you can change your front tire/wheel on centerstand and a simple floor jack. I by far am an expert. I just changed my front tire and made a real quick video. Not a great video but if it helps one person it was worth the 5 minutes it took to make.

#2 ·
Thanks for posting. Ratchet strap not needed. A scissor jack is easier to maneuver.

Duane

#14 ·
I use the PitBull that @Arizona Jim linked above. Similar to @Prince, I pull up on two pieces of 3/4" plywood; one under the center stand, and one under the rear wheel to help aid in getting the bike on the stand. I can then pull the piece under the rear tire to aid in getting it out from under the fender. I have been running on the darkside so it is a slightly larger diameter and wider, particularly with more squared shoulders. The extra 3/4" helps a lot.

While using the PitBull stand on a someone else's bike, I had a moment of panic when the forks came out of the PitBull brackets. I was worried his bike was going to fall flat on its face and lose the center stand and a complete disaster the first time we met. Ugh. But the bike is fairly well balanced and it wasn't a lot of weight to reposition back onto the fork lift. We were struggling to get the rear wheel out from under the bike without loosening the exhaust pipes.

So I suggest (in lieu of the 3/4" plywood, and it just works better regardless) be certain to remove the rear tire first, prior to lifting the front, as the fork jack may prevent the rear wheel from easily being removed from under the fender; because raising the front lowers the rear. I just have to remember to practice what I preach next and every time.

Reactions: josephdfrick
#16 ·
Shop wants $240 labor to change each tire! $480 for the pair I supply the tire so last week I did the back and today I did the front. I use a ceiling pulley system on my other bikes for the front, but the crash bars on my gtl allowed me to slide a 23 1/4” board under them while I tilt the front by hand. nomar makes pretty good tire irons and since I can’t get a decent grip with my harbor freight tire changer I just change them on the lawn. I remember to keep an old tire to put under the rim to protect the rotors and I sluggo a length of conduit thru the axle hole,(the harbor freight center post is too fat to go through the front axle anyhow).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.