BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was replacing air filter on my K1600 GT today and decided to look into the source of gas smell I've been noticing for couple of weeks now. It only happens when bike is on, so I figured it has to do something with the fuel pump.

After recording the video, I called GO AZ Motorcycles in Peoria, AZ. They are an authorized dealer/service for BMW motorcycles. I was hoping to buy just the receiver, but the parts guy said I had to buy entire fuel pump: $539 + tax. I called MotoGhost in North Phoenix and they said there is a replacement - it's only $39, however they were closing the shop for the day and will open next Tuesday.

Called my Dad to tell him about the great news (I told him earlier that I will likely have have to buy the whole fuel pump assembly), and then he asked me why is this not a recall - it's obviously a very dangerous safety issue. I took his advice and low and behold: https://motorsportsnewswire.com/2020/08/21/bmw-recall-16926-motorcycles-due-to-increased-the-risk-of-a-fire/

I'll be calling GO AZ motorcycles tomorrow or on Monday to see if they'll give me the new pump or if I have to wait for updated one. I'll keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Has anyone received an official recall notice?
I haven't.

Joe

·
Soupa Mod
2,571 Posts
Your bike had the recall done. We can see the metal reinforcing ring in your video.

There are no known fuel pump issues related to anything re-callable other than the installation of the reinforcement ring.

Frequently, the plastic elbow cracks and causes the condition you have. Many have replaced that elbow with a metal elbow that is commonly available. I have one ready to go into my 2018 at some point.

·
Mr.Fix It
7,191 Posts
My '12 had the reinforcement ring installed. The elbow still failed a couple of years ago. I'll reach out to my local dealer next week about the new 'recall' to replace the fuel pump.

Duane

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I'll reach out to my local dealer next week about the new 'recall' to replace the fuel pump.

Duane
I'll do the same.

Joe

Reactions: bazzaretta

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your bike had the recall done. We can see the metal reinforcing ring in your video.

There are no known fuel pump issues related to anything re-callable other than the installation of the reinforcement ring.
I might be reading this wrong, but my understanding is that this is a new recall that adds to the previous 13V-617 (also, notice the date - Oct 2, 2020):

Summary: BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain 2009-2011 K1300 (S, GT), 2010-2011 S1000 RR, 2005-2011 R1200 (GS, GS Adventure, R, RT, S, ST), 2006-2010 HP2 (Enduro, Megamoto, Sport), 2005-2008 K1200 (R, R Sport, S, GT), and 2012 K1600 (GT, GTL) motorcycles that were repaired under recall 13V-617 with the support ring remedy and where the fuel pump was not replaced at a later date. This recall involves the fuel pump, and also the auxiliary fuel pump as applicable. The affected motorcycles have a fuel pump flange that may crack, possibly resulting in a fuel leak while the engine is running.

Remedy:
BMW will notify owners, and dealers will replace the fuel pump(s) with an improved version, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin October 2, 2020. Owners may contact BMW customer service at 1-800-525-7417.

TLDR; They are now replacing entire fuel pump, not just the reinforcement ring.

·
Mr.Fix It
7,191 Posts
@bazzaretta , you're reading it correctly, it's a new 'recall'.

Duane

Reactions: bazzaretta

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
UPDATE: I called GO AZ Scottsdale, and I read the whole thing to the service rep over the phone. He waited for me to finish and said: I looked up your VIN number and there are no pending recalls for your BMW. Sorry, can't help you!

UPDATE 2: The reason why they didn't find my VIN number in the system is because my BMW was purchased in Canada and later on imported to US. BMW customer service instructed me to request "Warranty transfer" to US. Once that's complete, my VIN number should be in BMW USA database.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Has anyone received an official recall notice?
I haven't.

Joe
I received my recall notice this past week. Before we all rush out to get our fuel pumps replaced, a little further reading into the recall notice says that BMW is not able to perform the remedy at this time and they will notify us with a follow up letter as soon as the remedy is available.
Interestingly it does not steed to discontinue riding the motorcycle unless you smell a strong odor of fuel. I have from time to time but only immediately following shut off the engine.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
@racer1735 Good to know. Thanks for the update.
"Not being able to perform the remedy at this time", tells me they don't have the parts.
Interesting that they don't seem to be putting a priority on an obvious safety issue.
I still haven't received an official notice.

Joe

·
Registered
369 Posts
There are quite a few models and years included in this recall, and that would be quite a few fuel pumps to replace. It’s highly possible that BMW does not have that many fuel pumps sitting in stock and has to have them produced by its suppliers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts