BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The guy that I bought my GTL from gave me the full cover that he bought for it.

I find it a slightly bulky when I pack it in with everything else for a road trip.

What does everyone else use -- a full cover or a half cover? And why do you use it?

What brand of cover do you have?

Thanks for you feedback.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
I do not get to travel but I carry a full cover to work and cover the red GT every time to keep the sun from fading the paint and to keep the carbon black from the tire factory off the bike .My first cover from Cycle gear was thin and cheep but was replaced if worn for five years .After they replaced two of them I upgraded to a better one .The better one is harder to pack ,thicker, heaver , ect but should last longer . The bike is lowered in the rear and has a shortened side stand so I do not worry about it blowing over with the cover in a windy storm .

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,723 Posts
I sometimes park one or two of my bikes in the driveway when I need the garage for a project, and I cover the bikes with full covers.
The best I have is an HD heavy cover that a guy threw in with some parts I bought from him. Actually he gave me two, but one rotted quickly. Either will fill up a rear top case, but the one has lasted a long time in the sun and rain.

I have a few 10$ covers from Big Lots and Walmart that have worked well for the most part. I have had two of them fall apart after only a few months outside. I have two that I've used for years that are holding up great, especially for 10$. One of them was 20$ at Walmart.

Just got an Aerostich full cover that I like very much. Expensive, but seems like it will last a long time. Packs small like the 10$ covers, but stronger material.

BTW, I stole Meese's mailbox idea and mounted one under my tag to store my travel cover in. Works great, but beware of sharp edges that WILL tear a cheap cover.

If anyone has quality used covers for sale, I could use another Aerostich or Geeza or the like. I don't like having to replace them after just one or two years of use.

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Premium Member
3,723 Posts
I don't understand the "bulky when packing it" it should be on your head. I've been wearing exclusively full face helmets since I got my first Bell Star in 1972. Their poster said it all for me. "If you have a $10 head wear a $10 helmet otherwise wear the best".
I saw something similar at a Honda shop around the same time. They sold me a Demo Shoei for $10, which I just recently trashed. Was a great helmet that lasted about 40 years. Guess I do have a $10 head!!!!:grin:

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
I use an Aerostich full cover - first on my LT and now on the GTLE. Since I keep the bike in the garage when not riding, I don't need a heavy/bulky cover. The 'Stich cover packs small, is light weight, and easily stows when on overnighters or on longer tours. I'm on my second one, as the first started shredding from overexposure to direct sunlight after I left the GTLE outside for 2-3 months, therefore, I wouldn't recommend them for daily use, but they are great for my intended use. :bmw:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Both. Full cover on my commute or when parking for longer periods of time like at the airport. Half cover when on road trips to save space.

I'm a fan of Dowco.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
BTW, I stole Meese's mailbox idea and mounted one under my tag to store my travel cover in. Works great, but beware of sharp edges that WILL tear a cheap cover.
I covered all those edges with black duct tape to eliminate tearing.

I've used pretty much every cover mentioned in this thread at one point or another, including the $10 Big Lots covers which work fine, if you can find them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Storage Covers

I read through this thread and see the comments about covers for daily or trip use. I am interest in opinions on which covers work well for a 2016 GTLE for winter storage?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Cover??:confused: What is this cover thing?:confused:

The only time any of my rides gets covered is winter storage. Traveling it gets left out to deal with nature. I ride in rain, the motorcycle gets covered in bugs and road grime so I don't see the point on covering it on a regular basis when it sees worse rolling down the road.

If you are concerned about UV ruining the tires, ride it more and wear them out before it happens! The paint and other finishes are designed to be in the elements.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Full cover for my daily parking at the commuter lot, half cover when traveling for overnight hotel and occasional airport parking use.

Daily my bike sits in the sun for 8-10 hours next to a river so the cover keeps sun damage and bird droppings off, while traveling a half cover keeps evening rains and moisture off the seat and a cover seems to keep curious people at Bay, at the airport the bike is always covered with a later of filth from the parking garage when uncovered so it keeps it clean.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Full Aerostitch cover packs smaller than most half covers and is waterproof and easy to put on and take off. I carry the cover at all times. If I’m on a trip, or when I’m going somewhere where I will not be near the bike; say, for example, a baseball game, a movie, shopping for more than a few minutes, I cover the bike to keep prying eyes and sticky fingers off the bike. On an overnight, it also keeps the dew off the bike so I don’t have a wet bike in the AM. I garage my bike when home and ride all winter so no need for winter storage. If I was to store my bike in my garage, the Aero cover would work fine. It would not be my choice for long term outdoor storage.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Cover??:confused: What is this cover thing?:confused:
Besides keeping rain and bird droppings off the seat, this cover thing also keeps passersby from noticing the bike, or all the expensive electronic gadgets bolted to it...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Besides keeping rain and bird droppings off the seat, this cover thing also keeps passersby from noticing the bike, or all the expensive electronic gadgets bolted to it...

The expensive electronic gadgets get removed for over night, not worried about bird poo and rain as it will get ridden in the rain and see worse than a little bird poo while in regular use.

But tell me more about this Ninja motorcycle cover that turns it invisible to others!:grin:

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
BMW makes a half cover that is only $50! I was a bit leary about what I was getting when I ordered it. Have had it 4 months and it’s great! Packs small, fits perfect! Who would have thought an OEM branded part would be good and relatively inexpensive.

Steve-o

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I have 2 Victory Vision Full covers that I use and bought way back in 2013 for my Victory Cross Roads. I always park my bike at the side of our unit, next to the garage so it is exposed to all the weather. I use one cover at work and the other at home. The Victory Full covers are expensive that cost me $170.00 AUD each but are top quality so do an excellent job of protecting the bike from the elements. I know they are cheaper in the USA but by the time we buy them pay the postage and conversion of our Dollar it works out to be twice the cost of buying them landed as to the USA. I have to add the 2 covers are as good as the day I bought them and well worth the $$$ ,the added bonus they have served all my bikes since then and being full covers work well on the GTL, that covers 99% of the bike with just a little bit of the rear wheel exposed if I leave the Top Case on.
Cheers
Geoff

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Full Aerostich cover when I am traveling

Reactions: RL Lemke and GTLen
1 - 20 of 37 Posts