BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Bike in garage, but I still cover it with an "Oxford" waterproof extra large cover. Is a bit bulky, but I strap it to the top box when we tour. Also to stop the "evil eyes" from wanting what they have not worked for. Worked well on the ST and now on Mr. K.

·
Administrator
17,075 Posts
Which bike is easier to mess with?

Covered or uncovered?

Out of sight is best. A durable cover that packs tiny and crams into any nook or cranny. Stuffs into the bag that is part of the cover. Flag to the front, bag over rear tire. Stayed on bike in several wind storms, kept sand from getting into the bike in two severe sand storms, lasts year after year, what more could you want?

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Which bike is easier to mess with?

Covered or uncovered?

Out of sight is best. A durable cover that packs tiny and crams into any nook or cranny. Stuffs into the bag that is part of the cover. Flag to the front, bag over rear tire. Stayed on bike in several wind storms, kept sand from getting into the bike in two severe sand storms, lasts year after year, what more could you want?

Looks like a 'Stich to me! I agree, out of sight, out of (someone else's evil) mind.:bmw:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I sometimes park one or two of my bikes in the driveway when I need the garage for a project, and I cover the bikes with full covers.
The best I have is an HD heavy cover that a guy threw in with some parts I bought from him. Actually he gave me two, but one rotted quickly. Either will fill up a rear top case, but the one has lasted a long time in the sun and rain.

I have a few 10$ covers from Big Lots and Walmart that have worked well for the most part. I have had two of them fall apart after only a few months outside. I have two that I've used for years that are holding up great, especially for 10$. One of them was 20$ at Walmart.

Just got an Aerostich full cover that I like very much. Expensive, but seems like it will last a long time. Packs small like the 10$ covers, but stronger material.

BTW, I stole Meese's mailbox idea and mounted one under my tag to store my travel cover in. Works great, but beware of sharp edges that WILL tear a cheap cover.

If anyone has quality used covers for sale, I could use another Aerostich or Geeza or the like. I don't like having to replace them after just one or two years of use.
Could you share what Meese's mailbox idea is? A cover is a must in London

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
Not sure if this is actually Meese's bike, but this is the idea:

It gives a good place to store something like a cover without having to stuff a wet cover in with stuff that you might want to keep dry.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Got a pic, or a part number?
You only have to go to the BMW Motorrad page to look for any part numbers under their accessories section.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Not sure if this is actually Meese's bike, but this is the idea:

View attachment 143323

It gives a good place to store something like a cover without having to stuff a wet cover in with stuff that you might want to keep dry.
I used a small gun box on my GSA , mounted it where the license plate resides and then mounted my plate to it. Well hidden and lockable. The only issue was the plate light now was not effective so I had to mount a light to the top of the box shining over the plate. It's a great place to store things that aren't used much, I had my tire repair kit and pump kit in it.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I usually travel with the King of Fleece seat cover strapped over the seat the whole time. It's designed to be ridden on. It's 100% water proof and almost impossible to tear. If it rains overnight, I simply bush the standing water off and I'm ready to go. I don't have to deal with the on/off routine of a larger cover.

A larger cover certainly has it's advantages in concealing what you have. But so far I'm happy with the trade-off.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Nelson-Rigg half cover when traveling. Keeps the dew and the people off the bike. Basically, people are less likely to fiddle with the bike if it covered. It won't stop a thief at all, but people aren't going to sit on it or fiddle with the switches if they are covered.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts