BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My intention was to do a pictorial of the install of the Isotta rack for the GA, but their directions are better than I could do. I use the "thrown wrench scale" to rate the ease of installation. Zero wrenches thrown across the garage (easy peasy) up to 5 wrenches thrown across the garage (#%*% should have paid to have it installed). This was a zero wrench job! Nicely engineered product, fairly easy install, looks good and no drilling of the trunk lid. A little pricey, but it seems to be a well thought out product.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
I use the "thrown wrench scale" to rate the ease of installation. Zero wrenches thrown across the garage (easy peasy) up to 5 wrenches thrown across the garage (#%*% should have paid to have it installed).
:lol:

I seem to have developed two of the worst hobbies for throwing tools - DIY work on cars/motorcycles/house and golf.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
My intention was to do a pictorial of the install of the Isotta rack for the GA, but their directions are better than I could do. Nicely engineered product, fairly easy install, looks good and no drilling of the trunk lid. A little pricey, but it seems to be a well thought out product.
Nice!

All that is left now is to find a small BMW roundel to go where the larger one was removed.:wink:

·
Premium Member
5,944 Posts
It looks nice and you will like it.
In the pictures it looks like there are clear paint protection pads under the rear feet. Are there any under the front feet? This is a good feature that earlier Isotta racks didn't offer so I put clear packing tape under mine when I installed it years ago. Later I sold that bike and removed the rack and tape and the paint was perfect underneath so I did the same when I put it on my newer bike.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It looks nice and you will like it.
In the pictures it looks like there are clear paint protection pads under the rear feet. Are there any under the front feet? This is a good feature that earlier Isotta racks didn't offer so I put clear packing tape under mine when I installed it years ago. Later I sold that bike and removed the rack and tape and the paint was perfect underneath so I did the same when I put it on my newer bike.

Yes there are....you get 6 resin "dots" to put under the feet. The hard part is placing them approximately where the feet are going to touch. I may still have to reposition the front pads.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
After 43 years of riding, I have more straps, bags and doo-dads than I care to admit......:eek:
Me too (47 years :))...but the beauty of the Roc Straps/Isotta combo, is that they fit perfectly thru the slots, are fully adjustable, and won't damage the rack.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
On the back I see four screws were the BMW emblem was. Just how does the rack attach there? Could you post pictures of instructions?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On the back I see four screws were the BMW emblem was. Just how does the rack attach there? Could you post pictures of instructions?

I think I tossed the instructions after the install, but I'll try to explain: The trunk lid is in 3 pieces. Once you remove the center piece the BMW emblem just snaps out...it is held in place with flexible plastic "fingers". The mounting kit has 2 plastic "pucks", a metal "puck" and the rear mount itself. The metal puck and one of the plastic pucks goes on the inside of the center panel. The second plastic puck goes on the outside of the panel and the mount itself goes over that and the whole thing is held together by the 4 screws and nylon locknuts. I am an "all thumbs" mechanic and this was a fairly easy install.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the reply, I think I will order this rack. I like the idea of not drilling trunk lid.

After haven taken mine apart, I'm glad I didn't drill the trunk lid. Unlike other makes, the BMW has a 3 piece cover over the inner lid of the trunk. I would think that the normal flexing of the three piece lid combined with the need to drill through the inner lid, would result in cracking or breakage of the lid.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
B407 - thanks for the link. My GA is the 2019 model with the speakers in the rear. Do you have any idea if this rack would work with the 2019 version. It looks like there are metal arms that go under the top back rest pad, that might not be compatible with the speakers.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
B407 - thanks for the link. My GA is the 2019 model with the speakers in the rear. Do you have any idea if this rack would work with the 2019 version. It looks like there are metal arms that go under the top back rest pad, that might not be compatible with the speakers.

I have not seen a 2019 in person yet, so I couldn't say for sure. I sent you a PM with some other info.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts