BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I Down loaded some gpx files.i went out for a ride and the garmin kept taking me on highways to bypass the orange flag and go straight to the checkered.

what settings am i suppose to have on the garmin to aviod this. What am i doing wrong

·
Premium Member
1,050 Posts
Not sure where to begin on this one Wizard but did you Import the gpx route and then select that route under the Trip Planner app on the Nav?

Ideally, you want to use Basecamp to bring your gpx files into your Nav and also make sure the maps on the Nav and Basecamp are the same revision. And also the Navigation settings need to be the same on both (type of vehicle, avoid interstates, tolls, u-turns, etc.).

·
Registered
181 Posts
Find the "do not recalculate" option on your nav and turn it on.

If it's set to always recalculate, it'll do that according to whatever options/avoidances you've selected - fastest, shortest, curvy roads; tolls (yes/no), ferries (yes/no) etc. Even if you've set it to curvy roads, the curvy road you imported may not be suitable according to its little electronic brain, and it'll find another. If it's set to ask, it may still recalculate on import, I don't know. If you get off route and it asks and you say "yes", it'll start where you are and recalculate according to your options/avoidances.

If it's set to never, then it imports as-is, and if you get off the route it's up to you to find your way back to the purple line. Adds to the adventure!

The way to use it is to start near the beginning or a waypoint, then activate the route. If you're too far away it'll get confused and may recalculate no matter what you do. I've not had success starting in the middle even when I'm actually ON the route I've loaded in.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Base camp? All i did was download the file the drop it in the garmin gpx folder. The i turn on the garmin go too apps.. then the icon of the wheel hit convert buton then go to trip planner to load it up. Looks like everything is good to go.. but today i was riding to the location

There was 2 flags a orange and a checkers. It bassically had me jump on the highway and by pass everything to make it to the checkered flag rather then thrme starting point of the amber.

Needless to say kinda ruined my ride cause i was excited to do that route. Now i have to go do this other route but want to make sure ny settings on my garmin are correct.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Find the "do not recalculate" option on your nav and turn it on.

If it's set to always recalculate, it'll do that according to whatever options/avoidances you've selected - fastest, shortest, curvy roads; tolls (yes/no), ferries (yes/no) etc. Even if you've set it to curvy roads, the curvy road you imported may not be suitable according to its little electronic brain, and it'll find another. If it's set to ask, it may still recalculate on import, I don't know. If you get off route and it asks and you say "yes", it'll start where you are and recalculate according to your options/avoidances.

If it's set to never, then it imports as-is, and if you get off the route it's up to you to find your way back to the purple line. Adds to the adventure!

The way to use it is to start near the beginning or a waypoint, then activate the route. If you're too far away it'll get confused and may recalculate no matter what you do. I've not had success starting in the middle even when I'm actually ON the route I've loaded in.

Im going to recheck what you tols me tonight

·
Registered
269 Posts
Base camp? All i did was download the file the drop it in the garmin gpx folder. The i turn on the garmin go too apps.. then the icon of the wheel hit convert buton then go to trip planner to load it up. Looks like everything is good to go.. but today i was riding to the location

There was 2 flags a orange and a checkers. It bassically had me jump on the highway and by pass everything to make it to the checkered flag rather then thrme starting point of the amber.
While there are a whole number of reasons this may have happened, the most likely is that you inadvertently "told" the Nav VI to go directly to the destination. I'll explain.

The Nav VI (and the Garmin 59x-series upon which it's based) are somewhat counter-intuitive to use with a pre-programmed route. When you looked at your route in Trip Planner it would have had a green flag (representing the start point), then an orange flag (representing an intermediate point on the route) and finally the chequered flag (representing the end-point of the route). My guess is that you then pressed the "Go" button and on the next screen, when asked to select the next destination, you selected the radio button for the end-point of the route and then pressed "Start". The counter-intuitive bit is that when you select the next destination, the unit will recalculate directions to that point using whatever settings you have on the device. So, by selecting the route end-point it will take you directly there using the fastest, quickest, or whatever route option you have as the default.

What you need to do instead is to select the orange flag as the next destination before pressing "Start". The unit will calculate a route to the orange flag (which should match what you expected) and then follow the rest of your pre-programmed route to the end-point. The exception to this is if your route incorporates "shaping points" prior to the first orange flag. If it does, post back and I'll try to explain how to make that work too!

·
Premium Member
206 Posts

Needless to say kinda ruined my ride cause i was excited to do that route. Now i have to go do this other route but want to make sure ny settings on my garmin are correct.

Don't do it this way. If you must use a gpx created elsewhere (I always just recreate them), then load it into Basecamp. Open each route and click on Recalculate so it does so using your route biases. You should always keep Basecamp using the same maps as your GPS is using.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
while there are a whole number of reasons this may have happened, the most likely is that you inadvertently "told" the nav vi to go directly to the destination. I'll explain.

The nav vi (and the garmin 59x-series upon which it's based) are somewhat counter-intuitive to use with a pre-programmed route. When you looked at your route in trip planner it would have had a green flag (representing the start point), then an orange flag (representing an intermediate point on the route) and finally the chequered flag (representing the end-point of the route). My guess is that you then pressed the "go" button and on the next screen, when asked to select the next destination, you selected the radio button for the end-point of the route and then pressed "start". The counter-intuitive bit is that when you select the next destination, the unit will recalculate directions to that point using whatever settings you have on the device. So, by selecting the route end-point it will take you directly there using the fastest, quickest, or whatever route option you have as the default.

What you need to do instead is to select the orange flag as the next destination before pressing "start". The unit will calculate a route to the orange flag (which should match what you expected) and then follow the rest of your pre-programmed route to the end-point. The exception to this is if your route incorporates "shaping points" prior to the first orange flag. If it does, post back and i'll try to explain how to make that work too!

it just shows a green flag and checkered flag

·
Premium Member
1,050 Posts
@wizard1325 - it occurred to me that you may have made the easy mistake of selecting the wrong DESTINATION on the first screen - the screen that says "Select Your Next Destination". If you selected any destination other than the 1st one, then the Nav will create a new route to the destination that you select. Yes, it will ignore your GPX route until it gets to the next waypoint at which point it will pick up the gpx route.

So, if your GPX route only had a start and a finish and you selected the finish as your "Next Destination", it will create a route to that destination and it will not follow the GPX route at all - it will be as if you told it to go there and it will use the settings on the Nav for the route (fastest way, curvy roads, avoid highways, etc.).

This is an idiosyncrasy of the Nav V and VI and the Trip Planner app. There are a few threads on the forum about this issue.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
I took a look at your GPX files. The problem is they are both just Tracks. There is nothing wrong with using them to create your own Route to follow the tracks but navigating from them is problematic.

I would suggest you download and use Basecamp to load these tracks and convert them to routes so you get what you are after. They are a long way from WI too.

Attachments

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I took a look at your GPX files. The problem is they are both just Tracks. There is nothing wrong with using them to create your own Route to follow the tracks but navigating from them is problematic.

I would suggest you download and use Basecamp to load these tracks and convert them to routes so you get what you are after. They are a long way from WI too.

Thanks never used or heard of base camp but i will try it out. I am not in Wisconsin anymore I moved to Florida but I come up to New york from time to time. So those are the routes I figure would be good to check and try out while im up there.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok i got base camp put the file in the software this popped up now what i do?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Cool. Get Basecamp loaded and if you need help converting those to routes, just let me know. Be happy to help. I've been leading rides and using Garmin GPS's since the first Zumo came out.

Also load Garmin Express on your PC so you can update your GPS and copy the maps to your PC.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts