BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G’day,

Not wanting to purchase a $1290 Garmin Navigator VI that has been discontinued, I was wondering if BMW Motorrad Australia has any idea of a replacement coming out soon? Garmin Navigator VII? My F850GS Adventure Rallye X is naked without one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apparently there’s only limited stock as a new Navigator 7 is due out. Don’t feel like paying a premium for a product that will be replaced shortly.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I wouldn't waste your coin mate if a new one is due maybe you could get a second hand one to get you by if you really need it

·
Registered
Waiting for my K1600 B Have it now
561 Posts
Yes mine was playing up the other day, I was in Melbourne so called into Southbank Motorrad to see the guys who sold me the bike.
About 6wks for new updated GPS units. So hold off there not far away.

It was Monday or Tuesday last wk I was there

·
Preema
1,260 Posts
Hope they swap old ones for new… Mines playing up again….

·
Registered
861 Posts
I doubt if BMW will be bringing out a replacement for the Nav VI.

They have developed the TFT for the RT with map capability and developed the BMW connected app which has navigation built in. When they get the APP and TFT sorted it will probably be on the next generation of bikes.

If you fancy another Garmin the XT looks good.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I'm waiting on the GTL with the TFT Screen hopefully it will be released in Australia when l had the KTM SA they released the TFT in USA not Australia wasn't happy.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I've heard internet rumors of a NAV VII but I haven't heard anything official so who knows if it's real or vaporware. I just sent back my NAV VI for the second time and while I'm totally pleased with Garmin's warranty and return policy they really need to fix the bugs in the NAV VI unit. I haven't actually tested the new TFT dash on the RT but from what I've read the GPS unit has to be linked to your phone to work otherwise it's useless. Can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Is it the same TFT screen as the GS 1250?
No the TFT dash on the GS is 6.5 inches and the TFT on the RT is 10.5 inches but they are similar in looks/function except the RT dash has the GPS map capability. I don't like the idea that the GPS is only usable if it's linked to your phone which means you're burning data and your battery unless your phone is mounted to your bike and plugged into a power supply. I really prefer to keep my cell phone on my body in case of an accident.

·
Registered
861 Posts
@wellcraft It does not burn data, the maps are downloaded via the BMW App. In addition, there is a charging pocket on the right hand side with a USB port (charging only) and a wireless mat there is also a fan to keep the phone cool.

For all of those hoping the 10.25 TFT will come to the K16, be careful what you wish for.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Well, the replacement for the Nav VI is …. The new Nav VI. its had some updates apparently but looks much the same.

·
Registered
409 Posts
@wellcraft It does not burn data, the maps are downloaded via the BMW App. In addition, there is a charging pocket on the right hand side with a USB port (charging only) and a wireless mat there is also a fan to keep the phone cool.

For all of those hoping the 10.25 TFT will come to the K16, be careful what you wish for.
So does the GPS work on the RT the same as the NAV VI or does it require you to have it constantly connected to your cell phone in order to utilize the GPS function?

·
Registered
861 Posts
So does the GPS work on the RT the same as the NAV VI or does it require you to have it constantly connected to your cell phone in order to utilize the GPS function?
The GPS is the BMW Connected App on your phone, you download maps to it and you can import routes. The maps are transmitted using WiFi direct to the TFT. The phone has to stay on charge and there is a wireless charging pocket in the RT with a fan in it to keep the phone cool.

·
Registered
409 Posts
The GPS is the BMW Connected App on your phone, you download maps to it and you can import routes. The maps are transmitted using WiFi direct to the TFT. The phone has to stay on charge and there is a wireless charging pocket in the RT with a fan in it to keep the phone cool.
Got it....Thanks

1 - 20 of 28 Posts