BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
These guys do a very sexy looking mount that fits in place of the BMW roundel between the bars. Take a look at "Flyer 2" on the Product Info page to see what it's like.

I'm told that they are really helpful if you email them and that the product is extremely well finished.

·
Registered
2022 K1600GL
2 Posts
Hi, just picked-up a new '22 K1600 GT over the weekend. Fantastic addition to my R1250GSA. Now the accessorizing-fun begin; did anyone mounted Zumo XT GPS on the latest 2022 K1600 GT/GTL ? Any suggestions/recommendations? Thx in advance!
I had bought one for my GSA but after trading in my GSA for a 22 K1600GT, I am thinking about returning it as the connected app seems to be decent, eliminating the need for a dedicated GPS device.

·
Registered
'21 R1250GSA, '22 K1600GT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had bought one for my GSA but after trading in my GSA for a 22 K1600GT, I am thinking about returning it as the connected app seems to be decent, eliminating the need for a dedicated GPS device.
I agree that the BMW "connected app" works and it is nice to have but it does have few difficulties; when importing .gpx file to the app the "way-points" are lost. Although you can create a multi way-points route on the app, it is a tedious undertaking when you can only do it on the phone app. Additionally the "display-refresh-speed" over the cellular network and Bluetooth connection is slower and maps details are lesser when comparing to Garmin or other Nav apps.

·
Registered
2022 K1600GL
2 Posts
I agree that the BMW "connected app" works and it is nice to have but it does have few difficulties; when importing .gpx file to the app the "way-points" are lost. Although you can create a multi way-points route on the app, it is a tedious undertaking when you can only do it on the phone app. Additionally the "display-refresh-speed" over the cellular network and Bluetooth connection is slower and maps details are lesser when comparing to Garmin or other Nav apps.
Perhaps I should hang on to my Zumo XT until I have a better feel for the connected app’s nuances. Another issue I was trying to avoid was yet another bluetooth connection. Headset, phone, and BMW infotainment is a good working combination. Not sure what issues adding another device in the mix will cause as it seems like every device wants to be the central hub. BTW, for connecting the Zumo and my quad lock, I am looking at handle bar inside extension posts that screw in (x2) that you can get from wunderlich or much cheaper on Amazon.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I agree that the BMW "connected app" works and it is nice to have but it does have few difficulties; when importing .gpx file to the app the "way-points" are lost.
I have the Connected App on my phone from when I test rode an R1250RT but hadn’t tried importing any .gpx files as I don’t have a bike to actually test out the navigation on (yet), but this post piqued my interest.

Having briefly experimented by importing a route created on Basecamp that has a mixture of waypoints and shaping points, my first impression is that this is a ridiculous omission. Waypoints can be imported, but lose their name and lose their defined route sequence. To compound this, I can’t find a method of changing their order in the app. Shaping Points disappear completely.

Creating a route on the phone (a tortuous process) does allow you to have multiple intermediate waypoints that can be reordered if desired, but the Waypoints can only be placed somewhere that can be searched for by name in the app's database, not by tapping on the map to add a point on a road so as to force a route.

For those of us who use a GPS as a “talking roadbook” so we can follow a pre-planned ride, the Connected App seems to be seriously deficient - unless I’m missing something?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, you are not missing anything. The connected-app import .gpx files feature is currently useless. Connected-app Navigation is not "Prime-Time" yet. It is a shame as these are flag-ship touring machines with top-on-the-line TFT display and sub-par Nav option.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
These guys do a very sexy looking mount that fits in place of the BMW roundel between the bars. Take a look at "Flyer 2" on the Product Info page to see what it's like.

I'm told that they are really helpful if you email them and that the product is extremely well finished.

Thanks for the tip! I did get the mount (GT10-1 for K1600GT) from their distributor in the US. Top quality and prefect solution (pix attached)
Product Automotive design Gauge Motor vehicle Steering part
Automotive design Gadget Motor vehicle Automotive mirror Cameras & optics
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design
Land vehicle Fuel tank Motorcycle Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very nice! Can you direct me to the US distributor? Thanks
Sure, I got it from:
Ed Stiley; [email protected]
703-372-7241
Moto Machines
43760 Trade Center Pl #130
Sterling, VA 20166
Motomachines.com

Be sure to get the one for your specific K1600? there are differences among models. GT or GTL are not the same center bolt length.

You could also communicate any questions directly to: Tinie Klerx bikepenr.nl <[email protected]>

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sure, I got it from:
Ed Stiley; [email protected]
703-372-7241
Moto Machines
43760 Trade Center Pl #130
Sterling, VA 20166
Motomachines.com

Be sure to get the one for your specific K1600? there are differences among models. GT or GTL are not the same center bolt length.

You could also communicate any questions directly to: Tinie Klerx bikepenr.nl <[email protected]>
Thank you. 🍻

·
Registered
21 Posts
Very nice, found out today on a 9 hour ride in 104 degree (F) the Connected app is trash.
I just feel it works the phones too hard with blutooth & wifi & display & charging at the same time. My phone shut down with the heat. ( I have had it in 110 degrees before on my GS so I blame the app).
And no, it wasn't in the cubby, because the iPhone pro barely fits and when i closed it I couldn't get the [email protected]%$! thing open again for 20 min, may have broken it as it will not open at all now.
Wife agrees and told me I could buy a Zumo tonight!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Very nice, found out today on a 9 hour ride in 104 degree (F) the Connected app is trash.
I just feel it works the phones too hard with blutooth & wifi & display & charging at the same time. My phone shut down with the heat. ( I have had it in 110 degrees before on my GS so I blame the app).
And no, it wasn't in the cubby, because the iPhone pro barely fits and when i closed it I couldn't get the [email protected]%$! thing open again for 20 min, may have broken it as it will not open at all now.
Wife agrees and told me I could buy a Zumo tonight!
Just got 22'GT Connected sucks. Have an xt on my s1000xr mounted and Arizona Jim ball in center and attached via ram plate. works like a charm. Ran electric from similar system as pdm60.

·
Registered
2022 K1600 GA
19 Posts
2022 K1600B GA
No obscuration of TFT.
Simple installation... roughly 1-hour (mostly removing/re-installing right-side fairing)

1ea – 010-12953-00 – GAX12953 Garmin Motorcycle Mounting Bracket for Zumo XT
1ea – 010-12953-03 – Garmin Motorcycle Wiring Harness for Zumo XT
1ea – 010-10962-10 – Garmin RAM Mounting Kit
1ea – RAM-B-408-112-15U – RAM Mounts Torque Large Rail Base with B Size 1" Ball

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts