BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Should have soldered the wires and used adhesive lined heat shrink to keep things water proof.
I agree. Motorcycles are a hostile environment for electrical connections. Soldered connections are always better than using things like posi-taps and similar mechanical devices in which moisture-induced corrosion can create havoc.
Have you verified power actually fully shuts down when the bike is off?
I power my Zumo XT from the same point (I actually used the Wunderlich "Quick Connect" cable kit so I didn't have to cut the OEM harness) and can confirm that power to the GPS does shut off - albeit after a delay - when the bike is off.

·
Registered
33 Posts
2022 K1600B GA
No obscuration of TFT.
Simple installation... roughly 1-hour (mostly removing/re-installing right-side fairing)
I had a TPX radar detector wired into the powerlet wires and found that when it detected a full signal and I turned the bike off it did not shut down power on the powerlet and could come back and hour later and it would still be chirping away.
I got a relay installed as sucking too much power won't let the canbus turn the power off to it. Relay fixed it and now have radar detector and XT.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts