BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Administrator
17,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Deciding whether to rejoin the GS Cult by comparing the best options for a California badly paved backroad bike. Some off-road, but mostly all my favorite backroads along the West Coast, Nevada, Arizona & Utah. Maybe some Colorado and New Mexico on occasion.

Here is a brief summary of my analysis:

KTM Adventure 790 - 7.87"/7.87" - 21/18
KTM Adventure R 790 - 9.45"/9.45" - 21/18
Honda Africa Twin ES & Standard - 9.1"/8.7" - 21/18
R1250GS - 7.5"/7.9" - 19/17
R1250GSA & Sport suspension option for the GS - 8.3"/8.7" - 19/17
Triumph Tiger Rally Pro - 9.44"/9.05" - 21/17

21" = 27.8" diameter
19" = 25.7" diameter
17" = 23.6" diameter

Taking the hits on potholes and buckled asphalt is easier with larger diameter tires and longer suspension travel. Not sure about all the electronic wizardry, but if the compression, rebound and preload are adjustable, that's superior.

The Rally Pro has fully adjustable forks and preload & rebound shock. I really liked the 900 Tiger today.

I didn't care for the Africa Twin ES at all. Talk about portly and colorful. The regular Africa Twin in matte black was much nicer, but tube tires? That's nuts.

When the KTM 890 Adventure R comes out.... Well, it may be too dirt oriented for my backroad riding, but will make the right power.

The GS is a GS. Dreadnought class adventure bike with a cult following, and for good reason. If I return to the GS cult, it will be with a GS with sport suspension to get the GSA suspension travel, without the added bulk.

Tiger Link: Tiger 900 Rally Range

Africa Twin Link: 2020 Africa Twin SPECIFICATIONS - Honda

·
Super Moderator
1,165 Posts
Why not check out the smaller displacement GS? You're looking at the smaller KTM, Triumph and Hondas.

·
KBiK
1,469 Posts
I like the KTM 1290 Adventure R as an alternative to the big GS

·
Super Moderator
1,165 Posts
Why not check out the smaller displacement GS? You're looking at the smaller KTM, Triumph and Hondas.
All the pork for 2/3's the price!

·
Administrator
17,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Administrator
17,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, this video is from the guy that says the best one bike to own is the GS with the Touratech Extreme GS Adv shocks.

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
Some thoughts.
I sure do like my 2018 R1200GS. I wish it had a 6 gal tank. Just another 1/2 gallon would make all the difference, The 1250 is supposed to get better gas mileage than the 1200 so that might be moot.
There is a recall on the front Hayes calipers on all 1250's because they leak. The new Dunlop Mission 50/50 tires are outstanding. The stock windscreen was pretty darn good until I went on a long trip.
If your doing a lot of dirt it's a lot easier to pick up a GS than any other bike as it doesn't fall over so far. To be fair these things are way too heavy to be ridden hard in the dirt.
At least for me anyway.
The 1250 pops when the shift cam kicks in and annoys some people.
Spoke wheels are a pain in the butt.
A Sargent seat just works.
I have almost 30k on mine and the back shock started going soft around 25k so I'm thinking upgrade unless it starts to leak soon then the warranty kicks in. (In Dynamic it's fine) Up until then the shocks worked well however I don't ride it hard in the dirt.

·
Administrator
17,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I sure do like my 2018 R1200GS. I wish it had a 6 gal tank.
So, 200 mile range?

You are probably right, in that I often create loops out west which require more than 200 miles between gas stops. Whole lot of wide open spaces out west.

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
So, 200 mile range?

You are probably right, in that I often create loops out west which require more than 200 miles between gas stops. Whole lot of wide open spaces out west.
Yea. Around 190-215. On one trip I had a headwind and was lucky to get 150.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The new Versys !000 LT SE+ is a good consideration as well. It has all the toys the GS has and has a nicer hard luggage set up. It has gotten rave reviews as a supremely comfortable and enjoyable bike to ride.
I will consider this bike next year when my 2018 GT is out of warranty. Hoping Kawasaki eventually puts a H2 version of their supercharged engine in the V1K.

·
Administrator
17,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No matter which bike, I'm switching from hard luggage to soft. The Mosko 80 liter, with add-ons. Easy to add a liter, or two, of gas to the non exhaust side.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I agree I wouldn't do Hard bags unless I was worried about theft.

Ian

·
Administrator
17,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ordered Mosko Moto Reckless 80 bags, for whatever bike I'm riding.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
That's a wonderful range of choices. If you really would enjoy having more than 200 miles of range without having to carry rotopax or a fuel bladder, the GSA might be the best choice. If you're not taking it off into gnarly terrain then the weight difference for your California pothole roads won't be that noticeable. You'll have a shaft drive bike with tubeless tires. And, perhaps a heavy hand on the scales - a 3 year warranty. But you know I'm very partial to my GS. The performance is outstanding enough that I was willing to part with my Super Duke and it's been dead on reliable.

Curious, given you've had a Ducati, was one of the Multi variants an option for you?

·
Administrator
17,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Curious, given you've had a Ducati, was one of the Multi variants an option for you?
The 1260 Multi is such a giant beast. The 950 Multi is reviewed as top heavy and poor low speed bike.

Really staring to lean toward the 900 Rally Pro because it is complete as is. Nothing is needed, except my own normal electronic stuff.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts