BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

Give your opinion / suggestions:

• Yay

Votes: 14 87.5%
  • Nay

Votes: 2 12.5%
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I decided to give my 2018 K1600 GTL a fresh look for the 2021 riding season. After several quotes of over $2,500, I was given, I felt I should go at it myself. With a little practice, less than $500 worth of supplies / materials, lots of patience & watching 30+hours of YouTube videos, it turned out very nice. Went with a combination of Miami Blue and Carbon Fiber wraps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well. From a distance it looks ok.
Not my most favorite color though.

Joe
When I ordered the material, I actually thought the blue was going to be a little darker. But after receiving it, it actually looked nice and definitely unique. Since I live in Florida, I see that color a lot. Worked out very well. Here's a closer image. Lots to be said about taking on a project and doing it yourself.

·
Premium Member
2,627 Posts
Your bike, none of my business. Otherwise, why not? Not my favorite shade of blue. Don't know what paint you covered. I do like the CF. Looks like you did a very decent job of it from pics. (y)

·
Mr.Fix It
8,069 Posts
You did a great job. I added some vinyl wrap to my GT a couple of years ago. With regard to the bare plastic pieces (windshield, mirrors, etc) I hope you have better luck with adhesion than I did.

Duane

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought I would just leave one reply to all of the previous comments. Thanks a lot to everyone for the kind remarks. Yes, I was not expecting the blue to be that light but once I got it and looked at it, I thought it would match perfectly with the climate. Pictures don't do it justice and it actually looks better in person, but of course I would say that, 😆.

*I used 3M Carbon Fiber vinyl on the accent pieces and bag tops. Strong adhesive and stiffer material. Heat loosens it up.

*The blue is Avery Dennison. The adhesive is not as strong and needs to be worked with heat sparingly. It is very thin material and stretches well without heat. You have to work a lot to get the bubbles out.

* Yes, I'm very OCD. 😆.

* I took all of the panels off of the bike so that I could tuck the vinyl so that you could not see the original paint color, which is Gray. This gave it a more factory looking job and the wrapped edges would not come loose while riding or in the weather.

*I watched over 30 hours of "CK Wraps" on YouTube who is one of the top vinyl wrappers. Great source for materials, tools and how to use tips as well as information on all different types of wrap material.

* I post heated all of the vinyl to 190゚ to ensure that it sticks very well.

*I put test patches of each material on let them sit over night and tried to peel them off. They both came off, using significant pulling with no damage to the paint.

* All items were pre clean with a 70%/30% mixture of alcohol/water.

·
Registered
2019 BMW K1600b Grand America
282 Posts
You did a great job and the CF looks amazing. The Blue is personal choice - but you will get noticed. Enjoy!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hope to see you all at the MOA this year. I'm taking it on a 3 week ride to California then up the coast before the MOA. My starting location is Southwest Florida. Ride safe everyone.

·
Mr.Fix It
8,069 Posts
It's one thing to remove vinyl after 24 hours; e.g. it will easily peel off. It's another if the vinyl has been on there a few months. I found out the hard way when I wanted to change the wrap on the front fender. I heated it slightly while removing. I had a couple of dime size spots where the clear coat peeled off. After taking all the old wrap off I re-wrapped it and indentation from the clear coat spots shows through the wrap.

Duane

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's one thing to remove vinyl after 24 hours; e.g. it will easily peel off. It's another if the vinyl has been on there a few months. I found out the hard way when I wanted to change the wrap on the front fender. I heated it slightly while removing. I had a couple of dime size spots where the clear coat peeled off. After taking all the old wrap off I re-wrapped it and indentation from the clear coat spots shows through the wrap.

Duane
Thanks for the heads up. Yes, I've heard that from some others. I'm hoping that does not happen. I will keep you informed.

·
Premium Member
7,123 Posts
Nice job. I know it was a long and tedious process based on the few pieces I wrapped on my bike. Looking forward to seeing it in Great Falls this summer.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts