BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Glove choice is almost as difficult to agree upon as which oil or saddle is best. But for what it's worth, finding the right fit is the key. I've tried Held as they have more than S/M/L/XL sizing but yet they didn't fit my hands well. Tried at least a dozen different brands and for me the best fit and quality are from Racer. No, you don't need to be a racer or even pretend to be one.

·
Registered
2012 K1600 GT
52 Posts
👁👁 here:

I have found them to have good equipment reviews. Don’t forget the safety rating of the gloves. If they can’t save your hands in case of a crash, might want to pass.

Gloves are rated CE Level 1, Level 1 KP, Level 2 KP, with Level 2 being the safest.

·
Premium Member
2021 BMW K1600 GTL, 2008 HD ULTRA CVO, 2004 HD ROAD KING
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
TNHomegrown-looking at safety ratings, primary reason for shopping. Motoledends.com is another good review location, big on Held gloves. The Cold Champ Gore-Tex glove is $$$, but worth it. Safety (CE1), comfort and looks.

Looking to replace three gloves because of poor safety, all will be CE1.. Summer, all around, winter non-heated. Plus as I get older, my hands have increase in size. MrBreeze-it is a personnel choice, it's based on economics. As we get older, economics become less important. But, this forum and others allows us to voice our choices and the views get better views of the playing field.

Feedback is the name of the game! 😍😝😎

Reactions: TNHomegrown

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
WallaBob-understand! My issue is the lack of safety built into the gear. No body armor or extra leather where it counts.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Has anyone ordered from Motolegends.com? They stock most of the better European gloves. Rukka, Knox, Held, and Standler.

·
Registered
141 Posts
At the Risk of temporarily ‘borrowing’ the thread (which is a great thread!),
Glove choice is almost as difficult to agree upon as which oil or saddle is best. But for what it's worth, finding the right fit is the key. I've tried Held as they have more than S/M/L/XL sizing but yet they didn't fit my hands well. Tried at least a dozen different brands and for me the best fit and quality are from Racer. No, you don't need to be a racer or even pretend to be one.
I’m so happy to hear of someone who has tried both Held and Racer gloves! Between those two (Held and Racer), which would you say is better for longer, thinner fingers, and which is better for shorter, thicker fingers?

·
Registered
262 Posts
At the Risk of temporarily ‘borrowing’ the thread (which is a great thread!),

I’m so happy to hear of someone who has tried both Held and Racer gloves! Between those two (Held and Racer), which would you say is better for longer, thinner fingers, and which is better for shorter, thicker fingers?
Good question, I no longer have the Held's, so I'll need to go on memory in that they bunched up a bit in my palm. I don't recall on the finger fitment, sorry. FWIW, I can tell you that I have thinner fingers and a slightly smaller hand. The only way to know for certain is order them both with the anticipation of possibly returning one pair - or perhaps you will find them both to fit you well - seems like we can never have enough pairs or riding gloves!

Reactions: KL51212

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks! For me, many European-brand gloves have such thin fingers that I must go up a size or even two in order to not squeeze my fingers. That then sometimes yields bunchy palms and lots of empty space at the fingertips. (-:

I have to go re-search for Racer dealers in the US.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I’ve use this forum as a feedback tool because different opinions give you a wider base of knowledge. I have found through the last 3 weeks of reading and watch videos, Euro gloves are better made and have better protection. Euro glove have safety standard, US does not.

Great sources of information and videos.
Motorcycle Gloves Archives - Motorcycle Gear Hub
Reviews

Questions I asked myself while shopping for gloves.
Why am I wearing gloves? To protect my hands. Do I wear the glove under my jacket sleeve or over? Short or long cuff with gauntlet? Index fingers incorporate water-wicking materials (e.g. neoprene or rubber) so as to wipe your visor with when riding through heavy rain. Top gloves brands are CE-certified as Level 1 KP.
What is my intended use: sports-touring. Long distance with three season construction, and I need three sets of gloves.
1. Summer-greater than 75 degrees
2. Mid-season-spring, summer, and autumn
3. Winter-less than 50 degrees
Construction-quality and level of protection
1. Leather (Goat or Kangaroo) with overlays or reinforced for fingers, knuckles and palms. Leather from ball of thumb to the outside of the palm.
2. Palm sliders (Kevlar)
3. Short or long cuffs (gantlet) with protection
4. Armor- soft, hard or both. Hard for punctures and soft for shock (absorption of energy) pour on.
5. Cinching strap
6. Visor Wipe
7. External or Internal seams

1. SUMMER GLOVES-Either non waterproof or waterproof membrane. Textile or leather, textile not protective. Textile uppers better in rain., leather bottoms better protection. Perforations weaken the structural material. Buy tight with no cuff.
Klim Induction-$140
Stadler Vent-$155
Stadler Vent gloves review
Stadler Vent gloves in black
Rukka AFT-$110
Held Desert II-$145

2. ALL-SEASON GLOVES-used from 50-75 degrees during autumn, summer, and fall. Both waterproof and heat membrane, laminated (better waterproofing) or not laminated. Buy semi loose with small space at end of fingers. Textile backing better than leather for waterproofing.
Held Air N Dry-$300
Alpinestar Patron Gore-Tex-$200
Lee Park Sumo R-$279
Lee Parks ISDT glove review
Lee Parks DeerSports PCi Gloves Three Year Durability Report - Moto Mouth Moshe #54
Stadler Guard GTX-$220
Stadler Guard GTX glove review
Stadler Guard GTX gloves in black

3. WINTER GLOVES-primary consideration is protection against cold, then comfort and then protection. I asked if I wanted heated or non-heated, answer is non-heated (BMW with heated grips). The best winter motorcycle gloves have their chassis lined internally with functional membranes to shield against the cold, rain, snow and petrifying wind at highway speeds. 3M’s Thinsulate (as thermal lining) and Gore-Tex (as waterproof membrane). Laminated (better waterproofing) or not laminated. Small space at end of fingers. Textile backing better than leather for waterproofing.
Held Cold Champ Gore-Tex-$340
Held Cold Champ Gore-Tex Gloves Review Guide - Motorcycle Gear Hub
Held Cold Champ Gloves: Superb Winter Motorcycle Gear Review Unboxing (Gore-Tex X-TraFit)
Held Gloves: Cold Champ Gloves from Held - featuring Gore-Tex
Klim Badlands GTX Long-$250
Klim Badlands GTX glove review
Klim Badlands Gore Tex long bike gloves - OVERVIEW
Stadler Activ Gore-Tex-$235
https://www.motolegends.com/motorcycle-gloves/stadler/stadler-activ-gore-tex-glove.html

• Wow
Reactions: J-Luv

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Now comes the hard part, ordering and fit. I think I'm going to return items!:mad:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Do you happen to know of any currently-available gloves that meet the Level 2 standards of EN 13594? I have a couple old pairs of VelocityGear gloves, which were the only gloves I ever saw or even heard of that passed all the crash protection portions of EN 13594:2002 Level 2. They are some SERIOUS protective equipment. The company is gone, though, and the gloves need replaced.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
KL51212-No, but I have not been looking for them. I will now keep an eye out for them. CE2 is usually given for back protection.

Reactions: KL51212

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
MrBreeze, the Racer Glove recommendation was a pro tip…thanks. I bought myself a discounted pair thinking it was a long shot. I was stunned at the quality, fit, and style. On top of that goodness, shipping was free. I was impressed enough to purchase a second pair as a gift for my riding mate.

Cheers,

Rob, 2013 K16GT
Navarre, FL
IBA# 606

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I'm little crazy about gloves because I need to make sure that they will fit with my watch and jacket so I always like to use short gloves long gauntlets don't work with my watch

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
What's the issue with a watch? 😁

41 - 60 of 65 Posts