BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK first I've been riding ~50 years, last 6 on a 2014 GTL/E, and you'd figure I'd have all the answers by now. But I'm not so proud to ask for advise when I'm out of my element.
I've done 99.99 % of riding solo, I expect to have a regular passenger soon. So with that in mind I've a few questions.
The bike has been well setup for my needs as I can do 1K a day if desired. The two things that are notable for these questions are that my GTL/Exclusive has an RDL, ZTech windscreen (standard height) as well as Aeroflow Wings and MiniWings. I'm 5'10", she's 5'7" We are planning to do some touring next season.

So here are my questions:

For those of you who aren't aware the GTL/Exclusive seat is unique to the K1600s. It's bit longer then all the other K1600, so your experience on a Bagger/GA/GT or standard GTL may not apply. But it you do have advise let me know what bike (incl year and model) you're using so I know if your info is viable or someone else can make use of it.

My soon to be regular riding partner complained that she was too far from me and too high up. I had the windshield up all the way, but her complaint also concerned wind buffeting and wind noise. The noise will be mitigated using ear plugs. However and obviously the RDL will have to go back to modify the seat so it is lowered and move the passenger forward a bit. But off hand has anyone have or had an RDL on a GTL/Exclusive where the passenger wasn't so far removed from the operator and lowered rear seat?

This is the real embarrassing question, how do you get your passenger on the bike? Let her on first? While on the center stand or side stand or both stands up? I'm just trying to do it right from day one so as to not embarrass myself.

Also which windscreen (make and model please) provides the most barn door experience (no or little wind, and noise reduction) especially for my passenger? Looking through it is not a problem as long as it not distort my vision too badly, and I can always lower it when going through curves.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I'm answering from a 2018 GTL perspective. Even though the GTL one piece isn't as long, my wife complained about being too far back. We had our custom seat (not RDL) built to push her a little bit forward with a lip in the back. The passenger does sit relatively high one these bikes, although my wife doesn't make it an issue. There are good choices of higher screens from 7Jurock and Aeroflow. You'll never know which one is best until you take the leap yourself. As far as getting on-and-off the bike, I always get on first and stabilize things for her to climb over. It works for us. Good luck.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm on the shorter side, so ground reach & stability with the wife on board is even more of a concern than when I'm riding solo... I'm VERY conscientious/cautious at low speeds or stopped when riding 2-up, as I suspect if I ever drop the bike with the wife on board, it'll be the last time we ride together.

I let my wife get on 1st, with the bike on the side stand, and then I get on after. I have to use a kind of "step-through and shuffle" approach to getting on, as I can't easily swing my leg over the back seat with her there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My wife gets on first, intially onto the driver's seat then pushes herself backup on to the passenger seat. I then lift my leg over and sit on and raise the side stand.

We have an exclusive with the standard seat and screen, I put the screen fully up and she is fine with that configuration. She has been known to fall asleep back there. She loves the armrests.

Paul

·
Registered
256 Posts
how do you get your passenger on the bike?
I ride nearly always with my wife (5'4"). I'm on the bike, both feet on the floor, brake on. From the port side, left foot on foot-peg, holds on to my bicep, and steps over/through using my shoulders to steady herself. Basically like mounting a horse. Getting off is the same way, stand up on the pegs, and swing her right leg over, and step down. A variation on this used by the bike taxis in London is to lean the bike over onto the side stand to lower the foot-peg and make it easier to step up.

Can't advise on the other matters.

Meanwhile, Fortnine has something to say on the matter -

Joe

PS - bike is 2017 GT LE with 23" 7Jurock screen, type B. Maybe an inch too tall for me, but low enough to look over.

·
Registered
532 Posts
90+% of my long trips (up to 2 weeks) are with my wife, also 5’7”. We had a ’12 GTL for 6 years with pass and pillion RDL seats. The passenger to rider seat difference did contribute to a bit of buffeting for my wife. She felt it was more severe than our ‘06 RT and our ‘18 GA. Part of the issue is that I am only 5’9” so that seat height difference put her up quite a bit. I do not like looking through a windshield so the buffeting was something she got used to. I tried a variety of windshields which all needed to be raised too much to affect the buffeting without me having to look through it. We routinely did 500-600 miles days on our trips so it never bothered her to the extent she didn’t want to travel, which in the end was all that mattered. She enjoyed sitting back so never felt too close. Overall she was comfortable enough that she fell asleep more than once.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I almost always ride 2 up and she is 5 2" and I'm 5 10". Out of habit I also almost always put the bike on the center stand. She can get on first on the center stand or second if I am already on it. When getting on second, she does so from the left side and begins with her left foot on the rear peg and then swinging her right led over the seat all while I am leaning forwards.

·
Mr.Fix It
7,345 Posts
My suggestion would be, if possible, can the one piece GTL and go with the 2 piece GT seat. Passenger ride height is much less and so is the spacing between rider/passenger.

Duane

Reactions: TarkusNY

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
Congratulations on getting someone to ride with you. I can't address the seat issues as I have a standard GTL seat on the 2012. As for when my wife does ride with me, I'm on first and she gets on after, like she's mounting one of her horses. Left foot on left peg and leg over. Dismount is reverse order. Best of luck.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Well, if a new riding partner change is out, just make sure the side stand is down and everything fully stabilized before he or she before mounts or dismounts ... and if you interpret that differently than intended, the wording may (or may not) have been intentional.

·
Premium Member
6,531 Posts
OK here goes.
Make sure she has the latest in riding gear which includes cold weather, hot weather and wet weather. Jackets, pants, boots and gloves. A full face (preferably modular) helmet will help with the buffeting. Intercom system. If she likes different music than you make sure that can be accomplished. The Sena 50S should work well as you can talk and still listen to the music. Purchasing from a dealer that carries a full compliment of gear is a must. Cycle Gear has been a good outlet for us to let my wife try on everything before purchasing. Don't scrimp on cost, "Happy passenger, happy driver"
Also hearing protection.

Fortunately you already have arm rests on your Exclusive. Create a cup holder for her.

Start from home with a full tank of gas. My wife hates it if I have to stop before getting out of town to fill up.
When starting out from home allow LOTS of time for her to get ready. Be patient and don't be all geared up and ready to ride. Us long time riders can usually go out to the bike and be on the road in 5-10 minutes. Not so with my wife. The anxiety of the ride has her debating on which coat and gloves to wear, where to put her purse (have her get a small purse just for the motorcycle). She needs to get the music going, trips back in the house several times etc. etc. etc. Now this is a woman who has been riding with me for 51 years.

My wife is not very heavy and has a long inseam so it's pretty easy for her to climb on after I'm on and steading the bike. The reverse for getting off. I purchased floor boards for her immediately after purchasing my first K1600. She likes them a lot.

If you can take some day rides with other couples, especially seasoned ones, that will help a lot. The other ladies will take her under their wing and give her tips. They won't be the same tips you would give her so keep quiet and let her try theirs first. If you don't know this, women think differently then men.

No shenanigans while riding. Speed limits should be adhered to especially in the mountains on twisty roads. No dragging metal when leaning over on curves. Only pass cars when there is plenty of room. No sudden stops, anticipate stop lights early. Hopefully, after she gets used to riding a motorcycle, she will let you know what is fun for her and what is not. Engage in those conversations.

Don't do long days unless she says it's OK. Be aware she may say it's OK just to please you so cut it short anyway. On that note stay at the nicer motels and take her out to decent restaurants. These things will be part of her overall "motorcycle experience".

She needs to learn how to "lean". Have her just do what you do. I had a friend who's wife would lean the wrong way which actually caused them to run off the road once. Notice the word "once". She never road with him again.

The one thing my wife doesn't like is the fact that she is staring at the back of my helmet. Even though I tell her she can lean over and look ahead she says she doesn't want to adversely effect the handling of the bike and this is after 51 years of riding. If your girl likes to take pictures that is a nice way to give her something to do back there and to show at the end of the day. Start a photo album of each trip. Let her pick some destinations or stopping places.

I wasn't going to write this much but it kept pouring out as I went along. I hope some of these ideas are helpful.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
80% of the miles I have put on my '18 GTL have been 2 up. My wife is 5'10" so that changes things for me. Yes, you can have RDL modify her position forward, but they told me that they really can't really lower her down. You can switch to a GT topbox plate to move the topbox forward. I also found foot boards helped with her comfort.

I AWAYS get on the bike first. After a verbal OK, she gets on. I usually leave the side stand down just for a little extra safety, but I stand the bike up first. Each spring she attempts to topple us over, but after a few mounts I hardly notice.

I use a Cal-Sci windshield 90% of the way up. The hole in it helps relieve back pressure, buts does direct most of the air up and over her. Good ear protection is a must.

Something you haven't touched on is her understanding that she is part of the ride.

Never lean the opposite direction. Make sure she is looking over your inside shoulder on a curve. Pay attention to what is going on. Making a hard stop with the passengers weight pushing against you doesn't help. Wear the proper gear. And God forbid that something does go wrong, let go of the bike and push yourself away from it.

Most of my most memorable rides have been 2 up.

Good luck,
Mike

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
My two cents is, simply, don't fall over with your girl on the bike... they hate that.*

*Not that I've dropped the bike with a passenger on board, my problem in staying upright is more with wildlife.

·
Registered
95 Posts
OK first I've been riding ~50 years, last 6 on a 2014 GTL/E, and you'd figure I'd have all the answers by now. But I'm not so proud to ask for advise when I'm out of my element.
I've done 99.99 % of riding solo, I expect to have a regular passenger soon. So with that in mind I've a few questions.
The bike has been well setup for my needs as I can do 1K a day if desired. The two things that are notable for these questions are that my GTL/Exclusive has an RDL, ZTech windscreen (standard height) as well as Aeroflow Wings and MiniWings. I'm 5'10", she's 5'7" We are planning to do some touring next season.

So here are my questions:

For those of you who aren't aware the GTL/Exclusive seat is unique to the K1600s. It's bit longer then all the other K1600, so your experience on a Bagger/GA/GT or standard GTL may not apply. But it you do have advise let me know what bike (incl year and model) you're using so I know if your info is viable or someone else can make use of it.

My soon to be regular riding partner complained that she was too far from me and too high up. I had the windshield up all the way, but her complaint also concerned wind buffeting and wind noise. The noise will be mitigated using ear plugs. However and obviously the RDL will have to go back to modify the seat so it is lowered and move the passenger forward a bit. But off hand has anyone have or had an RDL on a GTL/Exclusive where the passenger wasn't so far removed from the operator and lowered rear seat?

This is the real embarrassing question, how do you get your passenger on the bike? Let her on first? While on the center stand or side stand or both stands up? I'm just trying to do it right from day one so as to not embarrass myself.

Also which windscreen (make and model please) provides the most barn door experience (no or little wind, and noise reduction) especially for my passenger? Looking through it is not a problem as long as it not distort my vision too badly, and I can always lower it when going through curves.

Thanks in advance.
I have the same bike as you, a 2014 GTLE. My wife didn't like the pillion because it slants forward and she kept sliding forward and bumping me. I didn't mind but she was afraid she'd cause a crash. I found a friction pad at Amazon that completely solved that issue for $20. Rather than copy the URL which is a mile long, here's the description you can search: TRIBOSEAT Anti Slip Motorcycle Passenger SEAT Cover Accessory Colour Black Compatible with BMW K1600GTL (2011-2018)

Enjoy your new passenger!

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
My wife has no issue riding pillion though lately she's been the sidecar monkey on the Gear Up. She loved the C650GT for the King/Queen sitting position and comfort. So as well as the OP I have a few questions and I am comfortable enough with the bike to do take a pillion now. Bear in mind I have a 2019 Sport model. The riding season is over for my wife except maybe the sidecar which has a heated blanket that plugs in to the sidecar (yes, really).

So...

Is the bike much harder to pop off the side stand with the extra weight on back? Ot is it better to have the pillion mount with the stand up? On the C650GT she got on first, then me. Obviously with the stand down.

Stopping - I assume because the bike is so heavy the extra weight should be negligible? Cornering I'm not worried about as she is good on back (she rides as well - our Vespa 300)

Parking - Best way to do it? On the C650GT I would get off first and then her.

Comfort - I have the GT Sport with the top case so there is a back rest. Can I get her floorboards and will they make the bike look "off" if I do? I am planning on all around drop protection so there will be extrusions.

Suspension/mode Settings? - I'm about 185 pounds and she is let's just say less... About average weight for a 5'9" Canadian woman though Covid-19 has put a few pounds on her. So 2 up plus luggage? We always have groceries or something we're getting most of the time or at least my laptop, her purse and a few things. I'm thinking rain mode to start?

Next season I'd really love to take her out on the K1600GT and honestly I'm glad this thread came up. Yes, I will use the search feature as well. FWIW I love RyanF9 and FortNine vids but it covers pretty basic stuff. Having her as pillion on the Vespa GTV 300 or the BMW C650GT is very different and I imagine the K1600GT has it's own share of things that can be shared.

OK, it's Nov 3rd 2020 and I have other things to look at right now and dull this day will not be even as a Canuck (lived in the US for 10 years) . Any advice very welcome on riding 2UP on a K1600.

·
Registered
77 Posts
we ride a 2012gtl, I am 6'3" she 5'3". I do have a backrest .
**** ilium adjustable raised footboards for her helped get good footing.
I bent in her armrests closer and also modded them to be higher.
a 26" vented jurock B helps with the wind buffeting. wife claims its "pleasant" even at 70+mph clean air. (takes some getting used to looking through the distortion) also have both sets of aerowing-lets.

Maybe if you added to your seat height she would not feel "too high" and possibly move back some too.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts