BMW K1600 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Lots of good info here, so I'm not going to repeat it, but I'll chime in regarding the windshield as I spent some time trying to get something she liked in terms of wind control. I found that the 7Jurock windshield worked best for us. That "flip" or recurve design at the top of the shield directed the air over both of our heads, without having to raise it up so much that I'd have to look through it, so I'm still able to maintain my over the shield sight lines and keep the wind down. I have that paired with the regular and mini wings. I tried a few shields with her on the back and this is what we were both happy with. YMMV
Matt,
Last I remember, we're both about the same height, so that's good.
Can you tell me specifically which 7Jurock you have e.g. A or B and the height? Also did you get the vent?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
OK first I've been riding ~50 years, last 6 on a 2014 GTL/E, and you'd figure I'd have all the answers by now. But I'm not so proud to ask for advise when I'm out of my element.
I've done 99.99 % of riding solo, I expect to have a regular passenger soon. So with that in mind I've a few questions.
The bike has been well setup for my needs as I can do 1K a day if desired. The two things that are notable for these questions are that my GTL/Exclusive has an RDL, ZTech windscreen (standard height) as well as Aeroflow Wings and MiniWings. I'm 5'10", she's 5'7" We are planning to do some touring next season.

So here are my questions:

For those of you who aren't aware the GTL/Exclusive seat is unique to the K1600s. It's bit longer then all the other K1600, so your experience on a Bagger/GA/GT or standard GTL may not apply. But it you do have advise let me know what bike (incl year and model) you're using so I know if your info is viable or someone else can make use of it.

My soon to be regular riding partner complained that she was too far from me and too high up. I had the windshield up all the way, but her complaint also concerned wind buffeting and wind noise. The noise will be mitigated using ear plugs. However and obviously the RDL will have to go back to modify the seat so it is lowered and move the passenger forward a bit. But off hand has anyone have or had an RDL on a GTL/Exclusive where the passenger wasn't so far removed from the operator and lowered rear seat?

This is the real embarrassing question, how do you get your passenger on the bike? Let her on first? While on the center stand or side stand or both stands up? I'm just trying to do it right from day one so as to not embarrass myself.

Also which windscreen (make and model please) provides the most barn door experience (no or little wind, and noise reduction) especially for my passenger? Looking through it is not a problem as long as it not distort my vision too badly, and I can always lower it when going through curves.

Thanks in advance.
First, I have a question. Does your intended passenger have any pillion experience?
My wife has been on the back of mine, and other people's, bikes for many years, countless countries, and an amazing variety of bikes. With good seats, terrible seats, no screen, big screen, etc.
Tall and short. Rain, hail, snow and shine. Gravel and blacktop. She still loves it.
So to answer your question. There is no 'correct' way to any of it. Attitude is the most important aspect. There will be buffeting, and it will never be perfect. But with the right attitude it becomes a transporting experience. Just go with what works best for you, and her.
For what its worth, my wife always climbs on after I have full upright control. Depending on the bike, she soon works out what works for her.
I've been a motorcycle tour guide for many years, and have seen it all.
So try different methods until you are both comfortable.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Your passenger will find it far easier to get on and off the bike with passenger footboards. There is a pair of genuine BMW passenger foot boards for sale in the for sale section on this forum.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I to have the GTLE 2016 and my wife complained about the wind turbulence. She is 5,3 and I am 6,1 the GTLE seat is STD and has her high in the Air stream. My solution was a 27" tall windshield I have to use it almost fully up.

Best of Luck
Ian

·
Registered
447 Posts
Height isn’t the issue but weight can be. Is she a biggin? If so, best to train her to lean with you. But if she’s itty bitty, won’t really matter.

So what’s she weigh? Lol

·
Q
5,347 Posts
My partner gets on/off while I am standing as far forward, straddling/steading the upright bike with hand brake or hill assist activated. She uses my shoulder as support.
We do it this way as well. Your legs are much stronger when standing supporting the bike than sitting feet down and trying to hold it with your arms.

This also allows the passenger to swing the right leg over the riders seat which is lower and easier to do vs. having to go up and over the back seat. Id also like to think it saves a few paint scuffs as well.

·
Upside Down
1,650 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
OMG....have I had too much cabernet or is this the funniest post and comments I've ever seen here? I can not add much to comments already made here, they're all perfect. I'm sure she'll have the RIDE OF HER LIFE if you follow the advice given here. Pardon me...I'm cracking up!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
3rd posting about this. This is not about her or my ability to ride. It's simply a question of the best method to get on the bike and to mitigate issues of wind buffeting and wind noise. Nothing more. We are both experienced in our respective positions.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Matt,
Last I remember, we're both about the same height, so that's good.
Can you tell me specifically which 7Jurock you have e.g. A or B and the height? Also did you get the vent?

Thanks!
Charlie,

I went with the 21", no vent, and it's the "B" style I believe. I don't think the "A" has that lip at the top, but I could be mistaken, it's been a while. I too have an RDL seat, so it lifts me up a little bit. I probably would have gone for another 1 or 2 inches in height so I could leave the shield all the way down and not have to raise it at all. I feel like raising it creates a little bit of back pressure when I'm riding solo. The vent could maybe alleviate that, but none of that has been enough of an issue to bother messing with it. I moved out to West Babylon, you're welcome to come check it out and take it for a ride if you'd like

·
Premium Member
6,541 Posts
3rd posting about this. This is not about her or my ability to ride. It's simply a question of the best method to get on the bike and to mitigate issues of wind buffeting and wind noise. Nothing more. We are both experienced in our respective positions.
I don't understand how you both can have the ability to ride with out knowing how to get on and off the bike as it takes those tasks to start and end a ride.

Reactions: harleyzx1400

·
Super Moderator
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Charlie,

I went with the 21", no vent, and it's the "B" style I believe. I don't think the "A" has that lip at the top, but I could be mistaken, it's been a while. I too have an RDL seat, so it lifts me up a little bit. I probably would have gone for another 1 or 2 inches in height so I could leave the shield all the way down and not have to raise it at all. I feel like raising it creates a little bit of back pressure when I'm riding solo. The vent could maybe alleviate that, but none of that has been enough of an issue to bother messing with it. I moved out to West Babylon, you're welcome to come check it out and take it for a ride if you'd like
Matt I may take you up on that. Going private...

·
Super Moderator
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I don't understand how you both can have the ability to ride with out knowing how to get on and off the bike as it takes those tasks to start and end a ride.
Jim as I said earlier we're both experienced in our respected positions. She's been a passenger on other bikes for many years, and I've been riding for ~50 years. I've had plenty of passengers on previous bikes, including other BMWs. We've done some riding together, but we haven't found an ideal way to mount that made us both comfortable. Hence my question to the forum. BTW, thanks for all of your responses. The one mounting method we tried that was most frustrating was having the bike with engine off and on the center stand, her getting on my seat and sliding back to the rear, then me stepping through to get on. The issue then was getting off the center stand, with the extra weight bias towards the rear it's a challenge to rock the bike forward hard enough to get it off the center stand gently and smoothly. The second method we tried was the engine off and on the side stand, me on first and then her climbing up and putting her foot through. I'm concerned about the stress on the side stand. BTW as a group you've come up with some interesting postings! Thank you again! BTW, the Hellcat lost.

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Loading a passenger: You get on the bike first and stand the bike upright. She puts her left hand on your left shoulder and puts her left foot on the left passenger peg. She then stands up on the left passenger peg and swings her right leg over to the right passenger peg and puts her right hand on your right shoulder. She then sits down and your ready to go.

Unloading a passenger: She puts both hands on both your shoulders. She stands up on the pegs and swings her right foot over to the ground. She's off the bike.

My rules for a passenger: Keep your a$$ still and centered while we're starting and stopping. Pay attention to what's going on around us while we ride. Look over the shoulder of the corner that we're going around. That's it.

Always unload a passenger before doing any parking maneuver makes life so much easier. And if you got a really good passenger she'll even help push you around when your kinda stuck but with the reverse that's seldom necessary.

Now what your supposed to do with a passenger: No jack rabbit starts and no power shifting try to keep it as smooth as possible. Always leave more room between you and the vehicle in front of you. Your carrying more weight and it's going to take a longer distance to stop. Basically don't drive like an idiot there's another life your responsible for with you.

·
Registered
335 Posts
My wife likes her boots with heal makes her more locked in on pegs so I stand bike up straight nod head and she’s on same thing getting nod head she’s off. Pretty sure she passes her leg through .
# 1 comucation device her hand in my side let’s me know her opinion.Our total weight 315lbs never reveal her weight 🤫 .”18” GT stock wind screen air does not really bother her much except for certain days on the interstate with prevailing winds and trucks combined can get our attention.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I ride nearly always with my wife (5'4"). I'm on the bike, both feet on the floor, brake on. From the port side, left foot on foot-peg, holds on to my bicep, and steps over/through using my shoulders to steady herself. Basically like mounting a horse. Getting off is the same way, stand up on the pegs, and swing her right leg over, and step down. A variation on this used by the bike taxis in London is to lean the bike over onto the side stand to lower the foot-peg and make it easier to step up.

Can't advise on the other matters.

Meanwhile, Fortnine has something to say on the matter -

Joe

PS - bike is 2017 GT LE with 23" 7Jurock screen, type B. Maybe an inch too tall for me, but low enough to look over.
Yep, that's basically the process we use as well: me first, wife second.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know this sounds really weird, but it's been working well, for us. My wife has lots of hours riding behind me, but struggled with how tall the K1600GTL is, and with all the bags in the way.

With the bike on the kickstand, she mounts, first, using the right hand (uphill) rider's peg. That means the peg is higher, making it easier for her to step over the rider's seat. She then sits down and scoots back onto the pillion. Then I mount, also using the right hand (uphill) peg, which again makes it easy for me to step over the rider's seat without kicking her, or having to hop my leg over. When we stop, I get off, first, "uphill," on the right-hand side. Then she slides down into the rider's seat, and gets off the same way I did.

We practiced this a few times in the garage. We both ride bikes and we both grew up riding horses, so this getting on from the "wrong" side really feels weird. But it works, and means nobody is kicking the bags, any more!.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know this sounds really weird, but it's been working well, for us. My wife has lots of hours riding behind me, but struggled with how tall the K1600GTL is, and with all the bags in the way.

With the bike on the kickstand, she mounts, first, using the right hand (uphill) rider's peg. That means the peg is higher, making it easier for her to step over the rider's seat. She then sits down and scoots back onto the pillion. Then I mount, also using the right hand (uphill) peg, which again makes it easy for me to step over the rider's seat without kicking her, or having to hop my leg over. When we stop, I get off, first, "uphill," on the right-hand side. Then she slides down into the rider's seat, and gets off the same way I did.

We practiced this a few times in the garage. We both ride bikes and we both grew up riding horses, so this getting on from the "wrong" side really feels weird. But it works, and means nobody is kicking the bags, any more!.
BTW, neither of us are lightweights, but the side stand seems to be holding up just fine. I think climbing on from the right side is better for that, too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is the real embarrassing question, how do you get your passenger on the bike? Let her on first? While on the center stand or side stand or both stands up? I'm just trying to do it right from day one so as to not embarrass myself.
I get on the bike, raise the kickstand, and squeeze the tank with my knees, while holding the brake. Then she uses the passenger foot peg to step up, and swing her leg over the seat. Unlike a Harley, the k1600 is not as low, and the stand does not lock into position, so I wouldn't trust leaving my wife to get on without me holding the motorcycle in position.

Also which windscreen (make and model please) provides the most barn door experience (no or little wind, and noise reduction) especially for my passenger? Looking through it is not a problem as long as it not distort my vision too badly, and I can always lower it when going through curves.
I have the GA, not the GTL, so my rear seat is lower than yours. I am 6'5", and wife is 5'6". She is still completely behind and slightly below my helmet, so the wind is not as much of an issue. We have the larger stock windscreen in my ride, and the GA comes stock with the taller one, and it is not tall enough for me to see through the windscreen unobstructed, but it is tall enough that at 6'5", my helmet is completely out of the wind.

Also, I have never experienced any buffeting on my GA except at speeds over 80mph, and only with my windscreen up 100%. I avoid riding at such speeds when riding 2-up. I stay with the group, on group rides (typically around 70-75mph) or just cruise comfortably between the speed limit, and the flow of traffic. My wife hated the idea of motorcycles, but with careful, and attentive riding she grew to love in just a few rides. I think that is the key. Ride to your passenger's comfort.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts