BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently own a 2015 Honda Goldwing having come from a decades long affair with airheads, lastly a 2011 R1200 RT. Test drove the Gen6 2018+ Goldwings (DCT + 6sp versions), and found that iteration to be akin to an overweight RT with cheap paint job, no meaningful storage, and with a cringeworthy CAN-bus electrical system. Was not interested in the DCT's scooter experience either. Purchased a Gen5 (2015), and have been very happy...so far. Strongly looking at the GTL (circa 2018, or newer), and soliciting comments from folks who have, in fact, made that very transition from Goldwing to K1600.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I own a 2018 GTL. I've never owned a Goldwing, but I've ridden with a a good rider on a Gen6 2018 Goldwing, otherwise labeled as an "overweight RT with cheap paint job, no meaningful storage, and with a cringeworthy CAN-bus electrical system". ;)

Before offering an opinion, it would be helpful to understand what kind of riding you want to do, and what your performance expectations are. There are types of riding where the GW might actually be a better choice.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I agree with JohnS1955.

I transitioned From a Harley Fat Bob (sportier handling), To a Road glide SPC, To a Yamaha FJR (sport touring), landing finally with the Bike for me, A 2020 GTL. For me it was a journey of Experiences, leading me to this bike, matching up top of the line Sport and premium touring.

My Brother is a die hard GWinger, it works for him and he is happy. I will be interested to see where your experiences take you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I own a 2018 GTL. I've never owned a Goldwing, but I've ridden with a a good rider on a Gen6 2018 Goldwing, otherwise labeled as an "overweight RT with cheap paint job, no meaningful storage, and with a cringeworthy CAN-bus electrical system". ;)

Before offering an opinion, it would be helpful to understand what kind of riding you want to do, and what your performance expectations are. There are types of riding where the GW might actually be a better choice.
Sorry if I have offended any sensibilities with a less than PC assessment of the Gen6 Wing. That said, I enjoy overnight, or two - three - four day jaunts. A 150 - 200 mile RTE is de rigueur most days. NEVER travel the interstate slabs preferring secondary roads. Not an "iron butt" type either. Enjoy the performance and handling aspects, but not willing to give up comfort, or tolerate high speed/wind turbulence instability. My default is to German engineering (as evidenced in my automobiles), but legendary Honda reliability has already proven itself to me. Retired in Florida enjoying the sun, and surf, and will likely never travel outside the Southeast USA again. And, yes, I scrape the pegs with regularity.

·
Registered
2013 GTL
1,560 Posts
I've never ridden a Gwing, and don't know enough about them to level any criticism, but when I was considering a switch from my HD Softail, I pointed at a Gwing in the parking lot and asked my wife "how about one like that?", and she replied that the styling looks like an old mans scooter.

I cant be any happier with my 2013 GTL, performance and comfort.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Sorry if I have offended any sensibilities with a less than PC assessment of the Gen6 Wing. That said, I enjoy overnight, or two - three - four day jaunts. A 150 - 200 mile RTE is de rigueur most days. NEVER travel the interstate slabs preferring secondary roads. Not an "iron butt" type either. Enjoy the performance and handling aspects, but not willing to give up comfort, or tolerate high speed/wind turbulence instability. My default is to German engineering (as evidenced in my automobiles), but legendary Honda reliability has already proven itself to me. Retired in Florida enjoying the sun, and surf, and will likely never travel outside the Southeast USA again. And, yes, I scrape the pegs with regularity.
No offense taken. I actually enjoyed your colorful GW description. (y)

Given your preference for secondary roads and enjoyment of peg scraping. The GTL would definitely be a better bet. It sits higher with better ground clearance than the GW. It does handle the twisties and leaning turns better than a GW -- without question. This is where I noticed a big difference with the 2018 GW that I rode with.

The GTL is plenty comfortable. I did an IBA SS1000 with my wife (as a passenger) last year, and just finished the IBA BB1500 with 2 other K1600 members here. No discomfort from either ride. High speed stability is also very good. Most stability issues have been reported on the B/GA models. It could be argued that the GW is marginally better bike for longer distance slab riding, but if it's not your main focus, the GTL is a better overall ride. It does everything pretty well. It's not a bad choice for your riding profile.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I had an extended test ride on a leftover '18 Gold Wing in 2019. It had the top case and a manual tranny. At the time, I had a K1200 LT and my plan was to trade it in. The Gold Wing was nice. I liked the foot positioning, just slightly forward of my backside. The ride wasn't bad. It just didn't yell "Buy me!" Nor did it make me want it. So I kept my LT for another year and bought a 2020 GTL two years ago +3 days. Man, how time has flown by. As you're likely aware, factory motorcycle seats were made during the Dark Ages, Medieval years, by the executioners in the king's dungeon! Most around here swear by Russell Day Long. I have one and I like it a lot.

As for your comment about the Gold Wing being an overweight RT with a bad paint job, I don't think anyone's drawers got twisted. I can't say @JohnS1955 was agreeing with you, but it appeared that way to me. And welcome to the forum. Lots of good information here and plenty of good people to get it from!

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
As for your comment about the Gold Wing being an overweight RT with a bad paint job, I don't think anyone's drawers got twisted. I can't say @JohnS1955 was agreeing with you, but it appeared that way to me. And welcome to the forum. Lots of good information here and plenty of good people to get it from!
I wasn't agreeing or disagreeing. I just found it kind of funny. Coming from an RT (and later and LT), I found the comparison to an RT at any level interesting, but you learn something new every day.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
I have a slightly different handle over on the Goldwing forum, but I see you over there all the time. I switched from the GW to a K1600 Grand America. I was disappointed in the luggage capacity and (lack) of power in the 2018+ Wing. The trunk size was fixed in '21, but it should have 40 more HP in my opinion. I love my GA, but the wife liked the Goldwing. Since she is content on my Harley, I don't have an immediate need to go back to a Wing. The only thing I didn't like (and the wife too) was the big step in the seat.....it put my wife up high and exacerbated an already high Center of gravity. Routine maintenance is similar to the wing, but parts can be expensive if it breaks.....but so are goldwing parts. Ride the GA and the GTL and see what suits you best. The speed limiter can be removed from the GA with a tune

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a slightly different handle over on the Goldwing forum, but I see you over there all the time. I switched from the GW to a K1600 Grand America. I was disappointed in the luggage capacity and (lack) of power in the 2018+ Wing. The trunk size was fixed in '21, but it should have 40 more HP in my opinion. I love my GA, but the wife liked the Goldwing. Since she is content on my Harley, I don't have an immediate need to go back to a Wing. The only thing I didn't like (and the wife too) was the big step in the seat.....it put my wife up high and exacerbated an already high Center of gravity. Routine maintenance is similar to the wing, but parts can be expensive if it breaks.....but so are goldwing parts. Ride the GA and the GTL and see what suits you best. The speed limiter can be removed from the GA with a tune
Yes, I recognize you from the other forum. I ride strictly solo as my lovely will not even sit on the pillion with bike on center stand! My primary concern is comfort, handling, high speed stability, and resistance to wind turbulence. I abandoned the R1200 RT because I got tired of being tossed around like a cotton ball. Still LOVE that old airhead! Appreciate the Goldwing as well, but feel it is just not the best ride out there. Styling on the Gen5 is stodgy, at best, but the darn thing runs like Timex watch: "...takes a licking, but just keeps on ticking." Finding a GTL test ride opportunity around here (Tampa/St Pete, FL) is nearly impossible.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Good point, Rick92040, so maybe I should have been more specific...and I quote: "Strongly looking at the GTL (circa 2018, or newer)" :rolleyes:
I did see that. :) I'm just saying there may be better choices out there as you did also say your a sporty rider. For someone like you the GT may be better. You need to test them.
I went through two 1600GT's and was looking for my third when I test rode something I would never have thought I would like, an R1200GS. My whole perspective changed.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Yes, I recognize you from the other forum. I ride strictly solo as my lovely will not even sit on the pillion with bike on center stand! My primary concern is comfort, handling, high speed stability, and resistance to wind turbulence. I abandoned the R1200 RT because I got tired of being tossed around like a cotton ball. Still LOVE that old airhead! Appreciate the Goldwing as well, but feel it is just not the best ride out there. Styling on the Gen5 is stodgy, at best, but the darn thing runs like Timex watch: "...takes a licking, but just keeps on ticking." Finding a GTL test ride opportunity around here (Tampa/St Pete, FL) is nearly impossible.

I would highly recommend you leave the Southeast one more time, for a roundtrip to vegas, rent a K1600, take a 3 hour ride, and then jet back to SE, maybe even on the same day. There is a national park NW of Vegas with some curves. The K1600 is a sport bike at heart. It does not sacrifice touring comfort for the rider, but it likes to rev and this is where the bike really shines, when you ride it hard. Not all riders are like that. Your comment about scraping your pegs regularly, in Florida!, makes me think you'd benefit immensely from riding a sport bike (tourer) on some actually curvy roads, for real. Really, if you never leave SE, I don't know why you even want a sport bike (tourer). It WILL increase your chances for an accident immensely, as the cotton heads all around you are too slow to judge a vehicle doing 0-60 in 3.5 seconds hurling at them, from stop light to stop light on the strip mall rides. Florida and K1600 is just an oxymoron to me.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I would highly recommend you leave the Southeast one more time, for a roundtrip to vegas, rent a K1600, take a 3 hour ride, and then jet back to SE, maybe even on the same day. There is a national park NW of Vegas with some curves. The K1600 is a sport bike at heart. It does not sacrifice touring comfort for the rider, but it likes to rev and this is where the bike really shines, when you ride it hard. Not all riders are like that. Your comment about scraping your pegs regularly, in Florida!, makes me think you'd benefit immensely from riding a sport bike (tourer) on some curvy roads. Really, if you never leave SE, I don't know why you even want a sport bike (tourer). It WILL increase your chances for an accident immensely, as the cotton heads are too slow to judge a vehicle doing 0-60 in 3.5 seconds, from stop light to stop light on the strip mall rides.
Where is this National Park that you speak of? The closest I can think of is Death Valley, which is more than a 3 hour round trip out of Vegas. Just curious what you're thinking here.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've owned a 2008 GL1800 since late 2007 and recently picked up a 2018 GTL. The Wing has Racetech and Traxxion Dynamics suspension/chassis goodies on it to settle the handling along with an aftermarket windshield and wind deflectors. Hands down the GTL is a much better machine for acceleration, handling, and wind management. It's also significantly lighter. The GTL has a Vstream shield and Tractive suspension, so it isn't exactly stock. I've built/ridden sport bikes most of my adult life and can't believe I waited this long to pick up a K1600. My advice is go for it. You won't look back.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Where is this National Park that you speak of? The closest I can think of is Death Valley, which is more than a 3 hour round trip out of Vegas. Just curious what you're thinking here.
Presumably a person who has never ridden No. Georgia mountains, Maggie Valley, TOD, Cherohala Skyway, or the other countless Appalachian mountain roads. But then we are all cotton heads down here.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've owned a 2008 GL1800 since late 2007 and recently picked up a 2018 GTL. The Wing has Racetech and Taxxion Dynamics suspension/chassis goodies on it to settle the handling along with an aftermarket windshield and wind deflectors. Hands down the GTL is a much better machine for acceleration, handling, and wind management. It's also significantly lighter. The GTL has a Vstream shield and Tractive suspension, so it isn't exactly stock. I've built/ridden sport bikes most of my adult life and can't believe I waited this long to pick up a K1600. My advice is go for it. You won't look back.
Thanks for that sage advice, especially considering the Traxxion, etc., add-ons to your old Gen5. That was my own gut level assessment, but really needed someone to confirm it with actual in-the-saddle experience, Awesome.

·
Registered
193 Posts
coming from a gl1500, I must say MY 2012 K1600GTL is much sportier and fun to ride. While I can spend enough time in either saddle for my arse to go numb, I can be excited about on the GTL. plus all the bags pop off easily.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Presumably a person who has never ridden No. Georgia mountains, Maggie Valley, TOD, Cherohala Skyway, or the other countless Appalachian mountain roads. But then we are all cotton heads down here.
Yea, I had the same thoughts....

I rode from California to the recent BMW Tame the Tail of Dragon (TTD) event in North Carolina. I don't think there are more curves per mile than you'll find in the Southern Appalachian mountain region.

If you stick around you'll figure out the forum characters soon enough. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts