BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks for the concurrence. There seems to be quite a bit of icy air from several forum members responding to simple questions, but that's okay. Differences make the world interesting

At the risk of starting a "tire thread" seems that many forum members consider K1600's to be "tire monsters" consuming a pair in [typically] 3,000 -. 6,000 miles, depending on brand, and how you ride. One member even had another bring him replacement tires to a rally last week so he could have rubber to ride home on. Yikes! I consider myself a fairly aggressive rider, but 10,000 miles on a set is fairly "normal" on my 2015 Goldwing, and was equally consistent on previous R1200 RT airheads.

Seems like a pretty steep price to pay for incremental advantages in performance. The issue for me is not cost, per se. The magic word is "availability."

Have I misunderstood the data?

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Thanks for the concurrence. There seems to be quite a bit of icy air from several forum members responding to simple questions, but that's okay. Differences make the world interesting

At the risk of starting a "tire thread" seems that many forum members consider K1600's to be "tire monsters" consuming a pair in [typically] 3,000 -. 6,000 miles, depending on brand, and how you ride. One member even had another bring him replacement tires to a rally last week so he could have rubber to ride home on. Yikes! I consider myself a fairly aggressive rider, but 10,000 miles on a set is fairly "normal" on my 2015 Goldwing, and was equally consistent on previous R1200 RT airheads.

Seems like a pretty steep price to pay for incremental advantages in performance. The issue for me is not cost, per se. The magic word is "availability."

Have I misunderstood the data?
I like the phrase "icy air". It's more polite than the verbiage I'd use. :)

As far as tires, you're going to get a wide range of milage numbers from different K16 owners, and it always fascinates me. I believe the guys who say they only get between 3,000-6,000 miles. But in my case, I get much better numbers on my GTL. On my last set of Dunlop RS4's, I got 11,000 miles. I'm not as top tier aggressive as many members here, but I like to think I hit the roads harder than the average rider. I do a balanced diet of riding the backroads in my local mountains and freeway slab. My wife rides with me quite a bit. She's on the back for at least a few thousand miles of every set. The fresh set of Michelin PR4's I had put on for the 5,400 mile round trip to the TTD Event in NC don't show much wear yet. There are obviously a lot of variables.

I don't know if the tires you ride on the GW are as soft as the versions for the K16s. It's something you'll have to experience first hand.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've never owned a Goldwing, but have ridden a few pre-2018 models. I just sold my 2002 Honda 1800 VTX and picked up a 2022 GTL this week. I know the Goldwings 2018 and above are different, and I've never ridden one. I will say that the GTL seems to have a fun factor for me that I don't think a Goldwing can quite live up to. However, the Goldwing may be more comfortable. I really like the GTL. My wife hasn't even ridden it yet, but my sister did ride with me in the Black Hills and she liked the comfort of the GTL. I think I will end up putting on a Klockwerks wind bending windshield. My sister said the passenger ride was better with the shield in full up position. My wife is a little taller than my sister and hence I think the Klockwerks shield or something taller will improve the comfort for my wife. You really can't go wrong with either bike. As far as performance, yes the GTL has more horsepower, and it handles like a dream compared to my VTX. But both the Goldwing and the K bikes are at the top of their games with respect to refinement, and the best of the best electronics, accessories and designs for a modern bike. I think I could have been happy with either, but for the first week, I am glad I went with the GTL.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have ridden several wings, never owned. When I decided to look for my next touring bike, I thought I would end up with a GW. I had a K1200LT previously and was keeping my R1200GS which I‘m very pleased, so I was thinking the best long distance ride would be the Honda. Way back when, I chose the LT because it was more fun at higher lean angles and only wanted 1 motorcycle(still had a child at home). This time I rode the 1600 and was so impressed with the performance, both handling and acceleration, I knew that’s what I wanted. Definitely way more fun. The smoothness and comfort allows me to go as long and far as I want. I have tweaked most of my motorcycles and my GTL is no exception(Wilbers suspension, Russell seat and several other aftermarket do dads). After several years of ownership, I’m sure I made the right choice. It still is quite exciting to ride and the most comfortable bike I’ve ever ridden. I hope you find my comments helpful, good luck with your decision.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
The gloldwings ride on "touring" tires and the 1600 uses "Sport touring" tires. Your not going to get the mileage from a sport touring tire as you do from a touring tire. You do get more fun per mile tho.

·
Registered
194 Posts
For 150 mile days that include peg dragging… the gwing and gtl are more than enough, but secondary roads and solo riding there are sportier options. I ride with guys that love their fjr 1300’s. I rode my gtl to the Smokey’s one year and all I could think about was how much better my super duke would exiting the twisties:(. since using my gtl to trailer the sdr isn’t practical I bought a 1290 super adventure s this year and f that run i love it. I just rode Chicago to phoenix again and I wouldn’t try it on anything less than the k1600, but intermediate rides offer so many excellent options.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
I have owned four wings and three GTLs in my life (74). My last wing a new 2012 was a dream to ride and thought this was my last bike, at least for years to come. Riding it to the White Mountains in Arizona there is a road that I love to ride rather fast, this time, riding straight ahead I went into a dip in the road, not bad but bad enough to put the wing into a high-speed wobble that scared the heck out of me and took a while to stabilize........Years later, on the same road on a 2018 GTL, I hit another dip, (I never learn), this time I was at 90+ leaning into a curve, and the dip bounced me off the seat, coming down into another very hi-speed wobble. I thought "this is it, I'm roadkill", but before I could finish that thought the beemer instantly stabilized. I was amazed at this and looking forward to a new 2022 model.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts